Land Tax in Brisbane

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Subodh Shirodkar, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Subodh Shirodkar

Subodh Shirodkar Well-Known Member

Hi
    Quick question. Planning to buy a IP in Brisbane.

Buy & hold long term.

What are land tax implications of buying in personal name. We also have a Family Trust to use for purchase if required.

Thx for your response.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Land in personal name (other than man residence) valued at over $600k in QLD subject to land tax. For trusts it is $350k

Subodh Shirodkar likes this.
  3. kr11

kr11 Well-Known Member

FOR REDUCING LAND TAX
    if creating many different trusts to creative new 350k threshold, is it ok to use the same trustee- a non trading company and same beneficiaries but just create a new trust each time

FOR ASSET PROTECTION
    also i know some people like dymphna boholt recommend a new non trading company as trustee for each discretionary trust for asset protection, but assuming the directors are the same i.e. me and my wife for each non trading company AND the beneficiaries are the same, i don't understand how this could provide more asset protection over using the same non trading company

thanks

4. Subodh Shirodkar

Subodh Shirodkar Well-Known Member

Thx
    What is the stamp duty % for IP in Brisbane.

5. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

I'll be careful with this. Please check with your lawyer first as I think there's a risk that the same trustee and beneficiary may result in the 350k threshold being applied to multiple trusts.

kr11 likes this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

No. You would need to have different companies or otherwise you will pay duty on total.

kr11 likes this.
  7. kr11

kr11 Well-Known Member

thanks khoa and rpi

If there was a new non trading company as trustee for each trust with the same directors i.e. me and my wife, and the same beneficiaries, would that then be ok.

thanks

8. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Correct. As each company is a separate entity QLD does not consider those trusts to be combined trusts.

9. Terry_w

Same trustee could be possible but you need to structure them carefully to avoid aggregation.

Best to take asset protection advice from a lawyer. Not sure why you would want both husband and wife as director if you are after asset protection as this just creates 2 guarantees for each loan plus liability for insolvent trading and other director penalties, even if non intentional.

Having a separate trustee for each trust means trust assets are clearly segregated from each other. If the trustee of a trust is wound up all trust assets could be effected and then it would be up to the trustee to prove which assets where owned for which trust.

10. kr11

kr11 Well-Known Member

Thanks terry, so it sounds like it is normally better to have only 1 director for e.g. myself, and then if someone wanted to sue the trustee. i.e. me, could sack myself and put my wife in

Does having a separate trustee for each trust help for asset protection, if i was the director of all these different companies
    I was thinking if i am the director of all these companies, they could attack all of them?, instead of only the individual trust

Also, could u tell me the approximate costs( i know u can't be exact) of setting up a non trading company and discretionary trust as it is something i will need to soon, and seems like plenty of them
    many thanks

11. Terry_w

That's not how it works.

If the company is a legal person separate from its directors and shareholders.

I charge $1100 to set up a company and $1650 to set up a discretionary trust including GST including legal advice.

12. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

we have used same company as trustee in past with no problems .

though obviously seek legal advice in this situation

cliff

kr11 likes this.
  13. kr11

kr11 Well-Known Member

thanks terry. r there any other setup costs like stamping of the trust for e.g.

14. kr11

kr11 Well-Known Member

thanks see change
    was that for properties in brisbane and sydney and if so, were u able to get a separate land tax threshold for each trust?

15. Terry_w

Depends where it is executed. If any party in NSW then $500. If QLD or SA then no duty.

16. Terry_w

Yes, there is a trap here in that if the beneficiaries of a trust and the trustee are the same across 2 trusts then it would be aggregated. The trap here is the definition of 'beneficiaries' as one in whose favour a power of appointment was exercised. You could have 2 differently worded deeds but get caught if both trusts distributed to the same person.

17. kr11

kr11 Well-Known Member

Sorry, a silly question
    Can a trust be setup by u, in NSW and executed in QLD with no stamping payable
    thanks

18. Terry_w

Yes because under the NSW duties act duty is only levied on trusts settled in NSW.

19. kr11

kr11 Well-Known Member

thats great. so that means i could get a dt trust setup by u in sydney and fly to brisbane, have holiday and stamp it there

20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We don't hold any properties in trusts in NSW , EXCEPT via bare trusts in our super ( but that's a different question ) . In NSW properties held in trust pay land tax from dollar zero , so expensive way to hold properties .

Cliff