Land Tax - foreign person

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Undervalued, 9th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Undervalued

Undervalued Member

Hi all,

I am looking at a fairly sizeable land tax bill including previous years like a few other posters.

I would swear that when we left Australia and started renting our PPOR that I reviews the relevant legislation and guidance at the time (2016/7 tax year) and no land tax was due.

Nonetheless, I would like some advice on whether there are any avenues here or aspects I have not considered.

Happily would pay for sound and reasonably priced advice rather than dumping all the facts here. Who feels comfortable and is qualified to provide advice on this?

Key areas - land tax + CGT; NSW based property; likely considered a foreign person under NSW land tax law; PPOR turned rental.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Only lawyers can advise on land tax. If you are not a citizen and are overseas you are probably a foreign person. Similar if there are any potential beneficiaries of a trust that are foreign persons.

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

You might be able to amend up to four years worth of returns to account for the land tax incurred in thos past years.