Land tax for dummies

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by beachgurl, 30th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

To anyone who has a few properties and hasn't seen a land tax bill, give the revenue office a call to check that your accounts are in order and that all of your properties are listed. Turns out that after my divorce they opened two separate accounts for me, so in their eyes I was under the threshold. One week later and all being merged, I find myself with a 10K bill.

Some people may not be aware that it is up to the property investor to register their properties, so if you haven't done it, or your accounts are split in maiden/married/misspelt names, you may find yourself with a hefty backdated bill once you sort it out.

Travelbug, ALT, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes. I have also seen trusts registered as a company owner and a company ownership as a trust (refund was then due !!) And even wrong property as the PPOR. Wrong % interests. One had some random property appear that they didnt even own. Apparently several years earlier it was attached to the client ID but as all property was under threshold it didnt become evident. I guess someone else suddenly had a land tax debt appear.

Each state varies with issues. QLD is one where registration isnt needed but NSW is definately one to monitor and the onus is on the owner/s. Regular review of the online land tax system is wise as they will often backdate up to 4 years and that is never good.

Land tax is NOT a matter a tax agent deals with