Land tax assessment

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by rjw180, 17th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rjw180

rjw180 Well-Known Member

So my land tax bill (in VIC) seems to have made a big jump this year on the back of some large increase to the property valuations. The value seems to be fairly high for the currently depressed market.

Has anyone requested a review of the valuation this year and have it come back lower? I was under the impression the valuation normally comes back higher but then again we've been in an increasing market in the past, now not so much...

2. Fpro

Fpro New Member

I have the same issue here (Croydon vic)
    I also approached a RE agent as I might have to sell the property. His valuation was for the entire property (house, land and a planning permit) 20% lower than council valuation of the land only.
    I want it reviewed. Will address it next week.
    I also want other people experience.

3. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What are they complaining about? They aren't valuations for sale but for ratings, just means their rates won't increase as much or pay any more in land tax.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Crikey... that bloke in the article has lodged an appeal against his valuation and (the way I read it) he wants it to increase.

Low land valuation is not going to affect the value of his property. Clearly he won't be paying land tax on his PPOR, but that is the first time I've heard of someone appealing on the grounds that they want an increase in value.

TMNT, HUGH72, craigc and 1 other person like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You cant object to a land tax assessment.

You can object to a land valuation provided its within time. Usually 60days.

7. Declan

Declan Active Member

I have an IP in Sydney which im moving back into - my accountant has said that if we move into the property before December then no land tax will be applicable for this year.

It doesn't seem right and I would have though it would be proportionate for the time that it was an investment?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It's not right and I have written a tax tip on this. If you can't find it let me know

9. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Read the thread below. You can object to a valuation. Do some research on prices and present a case Make sure you do it within the time allowed. Just be aware that the valuation date is 1 January 2018, not the value it is now, and you have to consider the value as it was back then.

Who just received their latest land tax notice?

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No its not right. You need to have resided in the property for 6months prior to 31st December and not occipied anothere xempt property in that period too...You could lose exemption on both !! (this can be avoided but needs to be applied for) Land tax is not proportioned either. While its AT 31 December midnight there is the specific 6 month rule that also must be met. Terry Tip refers to it.

qak likes this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

12. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Objected to my 2019 assessment and had valuation revised down by $100k again (3rd year in a row).

Valuers appear to be cherry picking high sales to support inflated valuations. They wouldn't accept one of my comparable sales because it was 'too low'. I argued that their methodology was flawed if they included or excluded sales based on their sold price rather than the comparability of the property. They wouldn't budge on that one.

Thought about going to VCAT but the application fee is higher than what I'd likely save on land tax if the property was valued correctly. Saved myself ~$1500 on land tax so I'll take it as a win.

aussie1, The Y-man, ChrisP73 and 2 others like this.