land tax and townhouses / unit

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Logan, 24th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Can anyone provide a link or information as to how you can work out the land value for town houses / units ? I am trying to work this into a calculation to see how many properties I can buy in QLD without needing a trust.

Thanks

Logan

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A basic rule of thumb for house and land is half the price or less. If you are looking at property for sale the contract will have the rates notice attached. The unimproved land value for rates will suffice. The REA should assist if you ask..their job to sell!

For apts and townhouses it can vary a bit but under 50% is typical esp out of Syd and Melb.

3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

thanks for the reply @Paul@PFI. For most houses I can work it out from 'on the house' but I am unsure how I can establish the land value for town houses / units. I will try asking agents directly, I don't want to appear to be kicking tyres and wasting their time.

4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

It is on your rates notices, also referred to as UCV Unimproved Capital Value. Can show up on RP Data etc

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The agent will expect questions about income and expenses to be incurred by a buyer. Relax and be confident in your agent dealings.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.