Land Size Measurement issues

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Pal, 17th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pal

Pal Member

Hi,

I have a property and for landscaping measured the land fence to fence (sides) and from front (after the footpath) to the back fence using long tape. This may not be the best way to get accurate measure but the width of the property seems to be is 50 cm less. There are properties on both sides and wondering what are my options to find out the issue, possible solution.

Thanks,
    Pal

2. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Check a surveyor in to check the boundaries properly. Depending on the results you can decide from there what to do.

wylie and bmc like this.
  3. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Not uncommon for fence location to move slightly if they have been redone multiple times on estimating blocks and may no longer be on the property line, would need to engage a surveyor to check, I have had this happen before

bmc and Stoffo like this.
  4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Pal

if the precise position is required, you will need to engage a surveyor to determine the location of your boundary and probably important if you are building anything substantial close to the fence. (garage, ret walls, pergola etc)

@lixas4 is a Vic Surveyor on here and the best to advise you of the regs.

lixas4 likes this.
  5. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

You need to think of the next step after survey as you may not have a right to move fence line back to boundary line anyway without consent from the neighbours. If it gets nasty they may even go in for adverse possession as they have occupied that land (obviously there are qualifying times and cost associated for them)

Good to know where the real boundary is but you may not be able do anything about it.