Land Lot Sizes - Confused

Discussion in 'Development' started by JayWin, 11th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JayWin

JayWin Member

Hi all,

I'm in VIC, looking at purchasing a plot of land which I am looking to then put a house on top of.

Scouring Realestate.com.au a couple of days ago, I found an area where $350k gets me 700m2. Was intrigued. And then, I found a few KMs down the road, $366k gets me 800m2. Then after further research, I found $371k gets me 1300m2, $378k gets me 1900m2, and I even saw a "Sold Properties" listing where $399k got that lucky buyer 3300m2.

Now this strikes me as ridiculously odd, where a 3300m2 block and a 700m2 block was only a difference of $49k? It was on the same road, same estate. Only difference was Lot 9 vs Lot 17.

Looking at the plan, I don't see much difference other than one being 5 times larger than the other.

My first question is obviously above - why the massive discrepancy in price-per-m2 ?

Could it be that the lots are not subdividable? i.e. even if you buy that massive 3300m2 land, you can only put ONE dwelling on it (which sounds stupid to me, seeing we're short in supply of houses in VIC and NSW).

Could it be that the 3300m2 block has something sinister to it?

If so, then what about the 1900m2 block? Should I lock it in, since it seems super cheap in comparison to the rest?

The last thing I want to do is buy something just because it looks cheap "in-comparison-to-it's-neighbours" - as the neighbouring plots may have been priced relatively high, to make it look like the other bigger plots of land are bargains.

This is far north west.

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Are the larger blocks adjacent to a main road, train line, rubbish tip or some other undesirable feature?

Are they directly underneath power lines and therefore there will be restrictions about where a dwelling can be located?

Are they part of a cliff or a river floodplain?

3. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Call up the council there and ask them What covenants, issues, potential the land lots have. Simples.

4. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Check the lot zoning and title. In many instances larger lots, especially in regional areas may not have services available. ie: serwage, gas ect

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  5. Btaylor

Btaylor Well-Known Member

I would guess it's a zoning thing. Low density residential - One dwelling only. Doesn't hurt to research further though.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  6. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

Could be many reasons why i.e zoning, contamination, easements, bushfire bal 40+, flood, restrictive covenants, no sewer.

Now you got me curious, PM me the suburb :D

Get zoning cert and title search/dp. If there's anything on the title/dp get the 88b.

7. JayWin

JayWin Member

Sorry to keep your hopes up gentlemen. I went to look at the site, the entire thing. Was given the OK to spend as much time as I liked there, so I spent a good 3-4 hours walking around.

The massive lots had small trees that couldn't be removed, and power lines on the back half of the property. That renders a good 1,400 m2 useless. Also, can only build one dwelling on the lot, even if usable area ends up to be larger than 1,000 m2. Apparently this council is rather anal, so even adding a granny flat may face resistance from them.

@Gavin1985 let me know if still interested.

RJS and Colin Rice like this.
  8. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

It sounds like it relates the the zoning of the land
    Take a look at that and the subdivision size permitted in the zone

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice