LAND - Enoggera/Stafford/Everton Park

Discussion in 'Development' started by aarond, 6th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aarond

aarond Well-Known Member

Hi all

I have experience of buying vacant land, subdividing and building in Victoria, but have absolutely no idea whatsoever about Brisbane CC....and would love to learn more from the experienced heads on PC!

I am toying with NW Brisbane (I already have a townhouse in the area unfortunately) and these 4 blocks have caught my eye:-

A. 223-231 Samford Road, Enoggera, Qld 4051
    B. 28 Lady Galway Street, Enoggera, Qld 4051
    C. Lot 4 Stumm Street, Stafford, Qld 4053
    D. 41-49 Buckland Road, Everton Hills, Qld 4053

Questions:-
    1. Why is A so cheap compared to B? Because of Samford Road being so busy?
    2. How come C and D are so small? I thought 400sqm was the magic number?
    3. Given proximity, why is C so cheap compared to D?
    4. In BCC, can you put a duplex/dual occ/etc on any of these types of lots? If not, what is the minimum size?
    5. Thoughts on the prices in general?
    6. Any thoughts/warnings re construction in Brisbane?

Thank you in advance

2. aarond

aarond Well-Known Member

No one??

3. Zenith666

Zenith666 Member

1. Why is A so cheap compared to B? Because of Samford Road being so busy? - Yes, Brisbane is a fickel market and simple things such as a busy road will decrease the price considerably. Samford road is busy.
    2. How come C and D are so small? I thought 400sqm was the magic number? - Under the city plan if you are 200mts walking distance to a community center (a set of shops) 2000m2 or greater, you can subdivide down to 300m2. All others are impact assessable otherwise. This set of shops (stafford) is just under 2000m2 but the precedent was set and BCC are allowing this subdivision to occur near these shops.
    3. Given proximity, why is C so cheap compared to D? - While they look close, in Brisbane market terms, they aren't and Stafford is more desirable, however 300m2 blocks are still a relatively 'new' thing to buyers and they are weary.
    4. In BCC, can you put a duplex/dual occ/etc on any of these types of lots? If not, what is the minimum size? - No, check the town plan, generally needs to be LMR and not Res A.
    5. Thoughts on the prices in general? Due to its proximity to a main road and probably better public transport, i would say the stafford site would be better in the long term.
    6. Any thoughts/warnings re construction in Brisbane? - Apparently its the most expensive location in build a house in Australia.

I subdivided some of the first 300m2 blocks in Brisbane when the plan changed (2014/2015) and they were hard to sell as people were weary of them. However they sold and i was happy with the outcome.

4. aarond

aarond Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Zenith666 - that's extremely great advice. And congratulations on the outcome of your project!

In Victoria, that kind of two-lot subdivision (inc connection of services etc) for that size and that kind of terrain I would estimate between $40k and $50k.

Any guesses as to how much like that one in Stafford would have cost the vendors?

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No one will want to live on that block on Samford Road, No one. The land may be reclaimed for road widening in the future too.

Lady Galway St probably (depends on road noise, it is an elevated position) and Stafford, yeah maybe.

Everton Hills is a little further off the main public transport routes.

gman65 likes this.
  6. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

;) A. That intersection is one of the busiest in NW Brisbane, I will also add do not buy there ever.
    B. Well that is an auction, so could go for anything
    C. Seems pretty close to Stafford road, again a busy road. Stafford also doesn't have the best rep, but is getting better I think. Check no commission housing there, etc. Also check flood maps, could be why its cheap.
    D. There is lots / has been lots of vacant land in Everton Hills. Plus from locals the concern would be around driving to the city with the the traffic from there + the trains are well south, and buses will probably suck from there to the city.

I'll be honest, I don't think you are on the right track, and I think you need to learn a bit more about Brisbane. Maybe think of another idea?

7. Zenith666

Zenith666 Member

Yes, Gman65 and Angel are probably correct, i would continue to do more research if you are interested in the Brisbane area. My advice is to stay within the 10km radius from the CBD.

With regards to how much a subdivision would have cost here in Brisbane, the costs range anywhere from $80K - $100K for a simple subdivision. This amount usually gets 2 separate clean blocks ready for sale from 1.

My current project is a multi residential 1 block (on 2 titles) into 4 freehold titles and i have spent $120k and I've got a clean block and the BA ready to build.

8. aarond

aarond Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input Angel, Gman and Zenith...very valuable advice. Might be worthwhile buying an existing dwelling closer in to town.

Gman - if you had some cash and serviceability burning a $700k burning a hole in your pocket, what would you lean towards? I currently have a townhouse in Alderley near the Coles, but I probably didn't think enough land component when I bought it 4 years ago...and as a result it's had zero growth.

Zenith - that sounds like a great project - all the best with it!