Laminate Flooring

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by aceinfo, 2nd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aceinfo

aceinfo Member

I am in the market for laminate flooring, primarily due to kids having scratched my timber floor from their toys.

there are loads of cheap chinese made ones selling from warehouses all over sydney.

then there are european made ones like quick step, KRONOTEX etc .

has anyone had the experience of using laminate flooring and if so what was it ?

Also where is a good place to buy one for a good price, dont want to pay full retail prices

kind regards
    Alok

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Lion King Flooring on Woodville Road (possibly Granville). We've had the flooring down for 6 or so years now with no issues.

Andrew H likes this.
  3. aceinfo

aceinfo Member

Thanks, visited them a few weeks ago , very competitive but very limited range.

good to know their quality is something that i can use in an investment property in the future

4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Lots of this product is junk. Just like the vanities etc nowadays.
    Water gets in and is game over. I've seen some shockers and is not even that old.
    I'm not an expert but I would go solid hardwood. So what if it's scratched. It's timber not plastic and glue and cardboardy stuff.
    Solid timber planks won't be as affected by water. Just my opinion but research carefully because vinyl would have been better than some of the laminates I've seen.
    In a house water is going to be spilled. Why anyone would ever go with glue and mdf type products for anything makes me shake my head but it's because of the throwaway culture now. Things aren't expected to last

Blueskies likes this.
  5. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Have seen the same issue first hand, even with supposedly good quality laminate it just won't hold up in an area that gets regularly wet, such as around the kitchen sink/dishwasher. For price I would go vinyl plank, for quality I would go genuine timber.

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

+1 ^ ^ this.

7. aceinfo

aceinfo Member

Thanks guys !!. Doing the laminate to buy some time before we get hardwood. The kids have scratched the cypress pine floors so bad with a new toy which we didnt think could result in this

8. 5080

5080 Active Member

I don't know about here but in the UK and the rest of Europe you can get water resistant laminate flooring that works, I know because I fitted it in my mothers kitchen which has a Labrador running over it, and in the bathroom, still good 8 years later. Quickstep brand
    They have an Aussie site Home