Laminate benchtop - suggestions in Perth

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dmo, 20th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dmo

dmo Active Member

I'm chasing a single pieces of white laminate benchtop to be made up in Perth, and wondered if the fine folk here had any suggestions for who to go through to get a reasonable price? or even thoughts on what they think I should expect to pay for it.

The size i'm looking for is 300cm x 70cm (and whatever is the most common depth). It's not actually going to be used in a kitchen but is going to be used as a desk top for a wall mounted desk supported by these brackets

A place, bright white (no tint of yellow) is what i'm chasing to match the rest of the rooms trimming.

this is for my PPOR so not too concerned about making choices based on an IP etc

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Try cabinetsondemand.com.au

Or similar outfits closer to home.

3. dmo

dmo Active Member

ok sure, will take a look.

Couple of quotes i've had back late yesterday over email have been $492, $550 and $770-something. Do those sound reasonable, high, cheap even based on anyones experience on a basic, clean white laminate benchtop?

Thanks.

4. Scott No Mates

700 mm is an awfully wide benchtop as most are 600 to sit on 580 mm cabinets. You get two cuts from a 1200 mm wide sheet of material with no waste. A 700mm benchtop is cut from a 900 mm sheet resulting in over 20% wastage.

5. dmo

dmo Active Member

Yeah.. i understand that. I'm hoping to use it for a desktop (wall mounted) rather than kitchen which means there's probably a little more variation than usual as far as width goes and 900mm is a bit too wide I think. I'll keep an eye around, the link you supplied earlier gave back an estimate of 560, so i think the 490-560 range feels about right with 3 out of 4 early quotes landing in that range.

6. Arms

Arms Active Member

actually most modern laminates for benchtops come in a 1550 mm wide sheet for postforming ,so a 700mm top will have virtually no wastage

7. Scott No Mates

What's stopping you from pulling the trigger rather than wasting a 5th+ contractors time?

Trying to find someone who stuffs up the quote then fails to perform?

8. dmo

dmo Active Member

I haven't contacted a 5th contractor either, and have actually pulled the trigger on one.

I definitely understand where you're coming from though, and it's never my intention to waste anyones time. For me the conversations I had with the contractors I felt varied so much from process, selection down to product, even I wasn't certain or confident with some of them. Drop a 700+ quote in the middle and I start to second guess the product and process again when I'm learning a bit about it also. I just wanted to make the right decision, and because of some of those variations came here for advice.

In the end I think I overcomplicated it for myself.