Travel & Holidays Ladies - need advice re wardrobe while travelling

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jess Peletier, 7th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hello my travelling friends!

I'm off to Italy soonish and am unsure about what to bring shoes wise and also general clothes wise. Previously I've gone warm places but this time it's going to be cold. I really don't want to be in the fashion capital of the world in my running shoes (unless I'm actually running, of course), so what's a good shoe option that caters for the following?
    • Winter - will be cool and could be wet
    • Looks fine with jeans (ie, not runners)
    • Can walk/stand for ages in them.
    I've got some comfy boots that might fit the bill but they're pretty heavy so would love anyone elses ideas?

Also what clothing is a win when travelling to cool climates?

Xenia likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why bring much at all? You've got Rome, Florence & Milan. Pack a few things and buy the rest - post it all back to Oz.

Leather sandshoes (otherwise your feet will freeze), walking boots with grip.

EN710, ellejay, Xenia and 2 others like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I bought expensive, dressy enough for trousers, walking shoes to take away. I'm wearing them right now. I left them at home in a misguided effort to travel light, in a small bag, and took comfy flat leather boots, and a dressier low heel boot for dressing up.

These shoes are both very comfortable and I'd worn them all day here, but we walked miles and miles and I ended up with aching feet. I got to a shoe shop in Rome and thought "I cannot walk another step" and bought a cheap pair of boat style elastic threaded shoes, like a jogger, but different. They saved my bacon.

I would never go away again without either a jogger or a similar thick soled walker.

And clothing... layers, layers, layers.

I have a wind cheater style jacket with a zip in fake fur lining that can also be worn on its own. It was super versatile. We were in snow at the Eiger and in very hot weather in Italy. So I had layers, and that one jacket that I could wear three ways.

We've been to Italy twice at the end of August. Never again for me. If we go again, it will be in winter. We were away two months and I had to pack for hot and cold.

Because we had so many different trips, plane, train, ship and transiting between transport and hotels, we kept to a smallish bag. It was a real juggling feat.

The other thing I loved, was those cheap (eBay) individual bags for underwear, shirts etc. It made packing much easier.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

:confused: 3 ways???

Right way, inside out & around your shoulders?

5. wylie

Three ways -

1. black trench coat nylon outer with hood, for not so cold weather
    2. fake fur inside coat with fake fur hood, black nylon outside, fake fur inside against body for warmer than just the nylon trench coat (wear just the lining on its own)
    3. zip the fake fur lining into the black trench coat and I have a super warm jacket with hood

Here's one I prepared earlier... :D (this is the same sort of thing)

This versatility meant I took one jacket for the whole time and zipped the lining in or out, wore the lining or wore the trench itself. I'm sold on this jacket now. It took me from Capri to the Eiger.

Best Upgrades Fur Winter With Faux Fur Lining Women's Coat Outerwear De Unloading Liner Women Trench Coat Under $40.05 | Dhgate.Com

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2017
    Xenia, WattleIdo and Nemo30 like this.
  6. wylie

Another jacket I looked at, but had already bought my 3-in-1 and the weight wasn't much different, just the bulk, was Uniqlo ULD Ultra Light Down jackets. My son has a vest and it rolls into a little ball the size of his fist. Great for packing, and very warm.

ULTRA LIGHT DOWN - OUTERWEAR - WOMEN | UNIQLO

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Now sold out.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Which part of Italy and when exactly? Winter is over so it shouldn't be cold cold.

I've done snow and winter in Japan and New York in these very practical boots but I wouldn't call them stylish. They are however the comfiest boots I've ever owned and I can walk ages in them. They work a treat on our property too :)

Women's Juno Mid Women's Insulated Boots - 971570

If you want to wear a heeled boat then wear them on the plane so that they don't take up a lot of space.

Go to Uniqlo and get some of the Heattech thermal underwear which is the softest and comfiest of thermals. You can wear them under your normal Perth winter clothes and will be fine - you may even get hot!

Scarves, fluid long cardigans and layers will be your friends for jazzing up the same staple pieces over and over.

A pair of boots + ballet flats + fancy sneakers (sketchers) should see you through most things

[​IMG]

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My suggestion is go practical and comfortable, who cares that it is the fashion capital, they don't care why would you.

Make sure you pack enough otherwise you will pay a fortune in Italy. BTW they like to rip off tourists, I shop with my Aunty when in Italy, they are scoundrels beware

WattleIdo, ellejay and Xenia like this.
  10. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

If running shoes only look good if you are running just run everywhere.

Problem solved and you will come back fit and healthy.

11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Boots are awesome for winter. Pants and leggings are awesome too and you can dress them up with a jacket.

I'm not very good with dresses and skirts unless I'm wearing leggings with them. Find it more comfortable and warmer.

MTR likes this.
  12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

There will be lots of walking and stairs and cobblestones. Comfy shoes are a must. Wear your heaviest items on the plane to get around the luggage weight issue.

Xenia, Jess Peletier and WattleIdo like this.
  13. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I spent my LSL overseas and only took a roll on bag. Mela Purdie clothes are non crush, and dressy, I took a dress and skirt, but honestly I alternated between black pants and jeans, one pair of boots with good grip and a pair of Klouds brand walking shoes. Silk thermal underwear which I hardly used the pants. As Wylie said, layer, layer, layer. Most places are warm inside so you are always peeling off clothes. I took a much heavier jacket which was a pain to carry and I found a North Face jacket in the op shop, perfect. I had one of those Katmandu? Bags that are mean to deter any attempt to slice them open, that was great as you can wear it over one shoulder so your hands are free. Big enough for the iPad mini and a bottle of water, you can also clip keys or whatever into it. I could mail it to you if you like as I have two. Ps, slim leather gloves, they don't get wet like wool, I got a great pair in the op shop as well.

wylie likes this.
  14. wylie

That site was just to show the style of my coat. I didn't buy from that site. If that style is suitable it is simply a matter of looking for a similar one online. I googled "trench coat with zip in fake fur lining".

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. wylie

I also took a cross body slash proof bag. Left my wallet at home. Put my cards into the slashproof bag card holder.

Also I took TS (Taking Shape) tops which I love wearing. No ironing ever. They are for bigger sizes but now come in XXS which equate to a 10 / 12 and depending on style can fit me (size 10).

I buy mostly via eBay and don't pay retail. I also left things behind at various places.

16. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Yes, we did a cruise first, I bought all the warm weather stuff at the op shop at home and left it at an op shop in New York, it was wonderful just having one bag.

17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We always travel light, around 16-17kg each. You MUST be able to carry your luggage yourself, possibly up stairs. Possibly lots of stairs!

I don't take dresses. All tops must go with all pants must go with all jumpers or coats. Everything must layer. I take thin tshirts to wear under thicker tops, easier to launder frequently. Take nothing that needs ironing.
    Marg

Jess Peletier and wylie like this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I've seen some massive things taken on as unchecked bags - but I doubt you will get away with a wardrobe. Tell the trolley dollies it's a personal item.

An empty wardrobe will still be a few hundred kilos if checked in. I suggest buying a suitcase.

19. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Maybe consider Sketchers for shoes, they are light weigth, memory foam sole = very comfortable for walking and can be a bit snazzier than runners with jeans.

WattleIdo and Jess Peletier like this.
  20. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I don't really care about the fashion capital - we're not even going to Milan. But I refuse to wear runners with jeans even at home so definitely need an alternative.

Thinking my flat boots, ballet flats and runners should have me covered as per @Westminster . I do have a couple of light but super warm jackets so will bring those and layer up. My daughter has stolen all my layers so a trip to the shops are in order :)