Labor negative gearing to apply to new shares

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Zenith Chaos, 8th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

How will Labor’s negative gearing rules apply? - Cuffelinks

The risks:
    1. Loss of negative gearing on shares and property. Mitigate by staying neutral.
    2. Managing parcels of shares bought before and after the legislation. Mitigate with good account keeping.
    3. Concurrent negative gearing and franking changes create a catch 22 - wait until franking decision is made before transferring but if transferring after decision your investments are no longer grandfathered. Mitigate by punting on the decision.

There is a lot of activity in June by people trying to balance out CGT, which may be exacerbated this year by people trying to second guess the franking decision. It might be a good opportunity based on market volatility.

Chris Au, Blueskies, ChrisP73 and 3 others like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Received similar advice from the FP firm I use which, like many others, are exploring various aspects.

As I indicated elsewhere ages ago, when possible legislation charges are mooted, various sections of the financial industry go into overdrive. Always good when somebody else does the work for me.

Keep it up, you're all doing very well.

Zenith Chaos, Redwing and Froxy like this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2019
    Zenith Chaos and Redwing like this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Noice :)

Sent a quick email to FP before I left and the response was along the lines of ZC's post.

Pays to be lazy and get others to sort this stuff out. They do this for their bread and butter and more effecient than me. Plus they usually can spul gooderer

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Warning thread drift. After @SatayKing reminded me of Young Mr Grace I couldn’t resist this from an episode of “Are you being served”.

Might be just my sense of humour but I thought this was one of the funniest things I’d ever seen on the show.

Start at 17:45 mins for Young Mr Grace’s eye test:D:

Anne11 and Zenith Chaos like this.
  6. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

I liked that show. That era of British TV humour was quality.

Nodrog likes this.
  7. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

For grandfathered assets (shares or property), it will be very interesting to see if there will be anything that limits additional tax deductible borrowing for expenses against those assets. That is, in addition to existing Part IVA provisions.

And I should add, limits in a way that deduction on those additional borrowings would not be able to offset non investment income.

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2019