Travel & Holidays LA, San Francisco and Chicago

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jamie Moore, 2nd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It can take a fair while to get there, especially if you're stopping on the way.
    You could go to an NFL game? Probably easier to get tickets in Buffalo than NY.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And The Met is awesome, the Egyptian and Aztec exhibitions in particular.
    The Guggenheim is underwhelming, MoMA is probably more worthwhile depending on what he's into.

Chrispy and Sackie like this.
  3. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Also I forgot to add, America is super expensive. Not as cheap as one would expect it to be. For shopping you may get some good deals at the outlets.

If in New York buy one of those 5 attraction passes they work as quite well. If you want to go inside the statute of liberty, you need to book like 3 months in advance, I would book now.

Chrispy likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hmm, I thought it was pretty reasonable. Cheap food, cheap clothes, cheap electronics, books, CDs, games etc... Compared to here anyway. Always load up when I'm over there.

5. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's heaps cheaper over there for most things in most areas. NY and SF are more expensive generally than the rest of the country. But no more than Australia in my experience.

Even in Manhattan you can shop for very inexpensive clothes at the likes of Century21. It's a madhouse though.

Azazel likes this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, more so when our dollar was better, but Levis for US$50? They're like $120 for new ones here. And Nikes, CK etc... Don't even get me started on the suit prices.
    Nordstroms and Macy's are good ones, especially when they have sales.

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I agree with the abovr...is clearly cheaper for most like for like things than in Australia.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

We still get reamed on electronics, books, CDs, software, games here...

9. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the tips. The Museum one and the statue tickets are great hints, thankyou. I am not worried about shopping as I spend a lot of time in Dallas, Texas, so get my shopping fix in Macy's, TK Maxx etc. Always come home with an extra case.

Eating out is cheap in Dallas, I am presuming it will be more expensive in NY but its a special occasion, my son is having a BIG Birthday, so what the heck!!!

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You can still find cheaper places in the city, but there are the usual tourist-y places to be aware of.
    Like Applebees adding a 15% tip to the bill without asking. Comedy clubs will try that on as well.

Chrispy likes this.
  11. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

We ate at this fantastic little thai place near Columbus circle, family of four for less then $80, with drinks. It's not as bad as you think. Yelp is your friend in Manhattan.

12. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Sorry, nothing to share except to wish you a very good well-deserved holiday. Never been to LA, San Fran & Chicago. Only NY, Vegas, Canyon, Boston, Dallas.... Do write when you come back.

13. Coastal

It depends where you buy. Normal shopping centres most things are not cheap, basically the same price when taking into account the current exchange. Outlets are deffo cheaper but not that cheap. Designer handbags for women are most def cheaper say half price or $100 cheaper when taking into account the exchange rate. However for everything else clothing if australia is more expensive it would be about $20 or $30 more expensive. I bought a tommy hilfiger polo for $33 us at the outlets plain polo with a logo. That would of been $45 aud at that time and they were on sale. At in brisbane i bought a similar polo on sale for $50 at the outlets. So not much difference. I also bought another polo at tommy hilfiger say at the las vegas outlets for 19 us that would be about $27 aud. The same polos were on sale her for $50.

I bought a fossil watch for $70 after taxes at nordstrom la that would of been $100 aud or close to it at the time. The same watch was $50 at the fossil shop in brisbane.

I found thr service related products to be on the same levels price wise as australia, being taking tours, theme park tickets more expensive. Restuarants I found hardly any difference at all. A butter chicken dish at am indian restaurant say la, san fran, ny, dc or reno costs $14 us or so. In brisbane depends on where the same dish is around $15 to $18 aud.

Compare full price jeans at american eagle, gap, guess, aeropostle, hollister or abercrombie and fitch with tarocash, cotton on, connor jay, there would not be much difference in price or quality.

There is is probably a difference in high end designer stuff like gucci
    I say there is not much difference and whatever diference there is it is due to the exchange rate and higher wages in australia.
    But any way australia hands down has a better quality of life, our country is so much nicer. I loved usa and plan to go back every other year for a visit, its got nothing on aus for quality of life. As nice as all of their citie are, they look like ghettos, sydney melb and brisbane dont look like that. La looks like woodridge or mount druit.

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Did you only go to South Central?
    Or do you mean the state La (Louisiana)?

15. Coastal

I went everywhere. Just saying how it is. I enjoyed my time overthere. It's like Australia, just not as nice.

16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hi guys

Finally got a second to chill out and go over the pics in my phone from my 10 day US trip.

Still feels like a dream! I've been a big NBA fan for years - so being able to get this close to the action was incredible.

I'm hooked on the states now! The people we met were great - the sports were in abundance and the beers were incredible. I'm heading back over new years :)

Cheers

Jamie

Lebron 2.jpg Lebron.jpg Butler.jpg Butler 2.jpg Rose.jpg Green and Anthony.jpg Warriors.jpg Curry 2.jpg Curry.jpg

vbplease, mrdobalina and Azazel like this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Awesome, sounds like you had a great time.
    Looks like some pretty good seats!

18. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yeah had an absolute blast - and didn't mess around with the seats!

We came a long way for the games - so we needed to be close to the action! Hearing doc rivers call plays - Lebron swear at team mates, Blake Griffin give us a nod, high fiving Rose, Butler and the Bulls and getting a shoutout on the telly from Mike Smith (the clippers commentator) made it all worth while :)

vbplease likes this.
  19. Cinch

Cinch Well-Known Member

Looks like a great time Jamie. Did you see Steph Curry drain some threes? I saw an interesting video about his shot mechanics and why his shot percentage doesn't drop off that much at long range.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well, looks like the trip of a lifetime so sounds like it was a good investment!

Jamie Moore likes this.