Travel & Holidays LA, San Francisco and Chicago

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jamie Moore, 2nd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

I lived in Chi-town for several years, and will be there myself from March 19-29, so I will add this;

Portillo's find one. Eat there. Store Locations - Locations | Portillo's

Gino's East. find one . Eat there Locations | Gino's East Of Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

Italian Beef Sandwiches- find a place ... eat many

All the museums in Chicago are pretty amazing. Field Museum. Science and Industry.... all of them. But you need 5 or 6 hours for each one - minimum. They are huge . They are not far from Soldier Field, where da' Bears play.. ( the new one, not the old one they knocked down) take a tour if you get a chance

Walk around the downtown area - lots. It's spectacular. Far grander than New York. You'll be genuinely surprised at how amazing it is.

Hire a car and drive north @ 45 minutes to the Gurnee Mills outlet malls near Waukeegan, on the Michigan border Outlet Malls in Illinois: Gurnee Mills | OutletBound Great cheap designer stuff.

You dont really need to bother so much with Navy Pier or the Chicago lakeside and beach areas around Lakeshore Drive or The North Shore or The Gold Coast. As an Australian you'll find them pleasant enough, but nothing you havent seen before... and certainly names you've seen before!

The suburbs just to the north of the city are all very cool though.

Michigan Avenue - if you like shopping. It's one of the great shopping precincts on earth - the magnificent mile they call it. Nike Town is there - everything there is available nowhere else.

Union Station - you'll recognise it from many movies. Untouchables for example..

Chicago has two zoo's. Brookfield is very cool, and very large - but Lincoln Park is smaller and is just north of the city and is easier for you to reach if you are staying downtown.

Trump Tower. Willis Tower . John Hancock Building. All have great lookouts.

Lots of great Blues bars if you like that - House of Blues. Buddy Guys .

And back to food...

HOME - Chicago Chop House

Smoque BBQ

and beer ...

Goose Island Beer Company

Revolution Brewing | Chicago, Illinois

If you want to see where a lot of athletes live in grand golf course estates, drive out towards areas like Oakbrook. Google Maps

This is , I think anyway - one of the worlds great cities. Enjoy it.

hash_investor and Tattler like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are booking a trip now. For New York we were advised to go up the Rockefeller Centre (might have the wrong building) and look AT the Empire State Building rather than try to go into the ESB itself. I guess it is like Carl Pilkington saying it is better to sleep in a cave and look at the palace, than sleep in the palace and look at the cave.

We did this in Paris when we looked at the lines, looked up to the Eiffel Tower, looked at the lines again, and decided the view we had already seen from the Arch de Triomph was a good way to see the view over Paris.

Thoughts?

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many years ago, the late afternoon view from ESB followed by the sunset was superb. I don't know if some of that view has been built out now; it would also depend on time of year and viewing hours.

4. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

Top of the rock is definitely a better view. You get to see the ESB and also a great view of Central Park. Head up just before sunset to see the city by day and night. You get time slots for TOTR which makes for a much more pleasant experience compared to the queuing at ESB N

However, ESB is still fantastic and I'd still recommend going. But go early, or go late when it's quietest. You don't want to waste half a precious day in NYC in a queue.

Nice view from the top of the WTC too. Oh and from the crown of the Statue of Liberty. So many views....

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well it is the tallest building in NY...
    I think it's worth it, but check out the ticket deals and research times of day.

6. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

If Jamie is going to drive to Gurnee Mills he may as well go up further on I-94 for another 15 minutes to Pleasent Prairie at Kenosha, Wisconsin. I found the outlet there is cheaper than Gurnee Mills:

Welcome To Pleasant Prairie Premium Outlets® - A Shopping Center In Pleasant Prairie, WI - A Simon Property

@euro73, where in Chicago did you live? I used to live at Libertyville/Mundelein/Arlington Heights area. I loved living there.

7. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

100% agree with this. The real estate and cars you see will blow your mind.

In Chicago, hockey season is still on. Try and get Black Hawks tickets. It is an experience to behold.

2015-2016 Regular Season Schedule/Results - Chicago Blackhawks - Schedule

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Downtown- river north for me. Best time of my life. Better than even brisbane by a long shot...as much as i like to hype brisbane :)

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Lombard/ Villa Park . I also spent some time in Oregon, Illinois - worked on a ranch there for a couple of Summers - it's a couple of hours west on 64 /North Avenue. Not far from Rockford.

Yes the other outlet is also excellent. Good shopping to be had at either of them...

I'll be there on Saturday!!!!!!!! (Sunday , Australian time)

For those of you who have never been - here's a taste of suburbia and downtown... IMG_0921.JPG IMG_0925.JPG IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1080.JPG IMG_1077.JPG

Last edited: 15th Mar, 2016
    Tattler likes this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And some of it will seem oddly familiar if you're a GTA fan ;)

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

This is worth a look at the power some had in the and what they built,even better on a hire bike or car,one of the best coastal drives in the world from san francisco..
    http://hearstcastle.org/

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

13. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

My son and I are off to NY in September. Son is mad on art, so no doubt we will spend a lot of time in art galleries etc. What should we NOT miss? I particularly want to do a tour to Niagara Falls, as I have never been.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We will be there in October. Also will do the history, mansion and art gallery thing and also heading to Niagara Falls. Let's keep adding things to this thread as we've not been to NY before so I am just googling to see what we want to see.

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If @Jamie Moore Facebook page is to be believed, it looks like he's currently indulging in an orgy of basketball, beer and mexican foods! Looks like he's having a great time. :)

16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Can get that in vegas as well...and more :)

17. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Mate I am very jealous of you! Enjoy your time there!

18. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hey guys - having a blast! Will write a longer post when I get back. Here's a quick pic from a Cavs game. Just having a beer/lunch at Fishermans wharf right now.

Got a shoutout by the clippers announcers on tv too - I'll upload the video later!

Jamie

Attached Files:

Gockie likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a drive up to Buffalo, recommend you plan and maybe stay overnight.

Chrispy likes this.
  20. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Thanks Azazel There is a 2 day tour which includes a hotel facing the Falls so we can see them lit up at night. Although it is a long drive the tour goes via various places on the way. I thought that would be a good option. A friend suggested we fly up and back but by the time you get to the airport go through security, etc., we may as well go on the tour by bus and see the scenery.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF