Travel & Holidays LA, San Francisco and Chicago

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jamie Moore, 2nd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hey guys

I'm off to the states for a couple of weeks for a short holiday......and I've done bugger all planning.

Since you're such a well traveled bunch - I was wondering if I could grab some tips on must dos/sees in any of the cities I'm going to. Travelling with a friend (child free holiday!!!).

So far - we've only booked an Alcatraz tour.

Cheers

Jamie

2. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

legallyblonde and Jamie Moore like this.
  4. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

For la hire a car if not just get the 2 day starline hop on. Hop off bus.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  5. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

If you have the time, drive down the Old Pacific Highway.......so pretty. Stop by Santa Barbara (about 1.5 hours from LA).

In Los Angeles, man, so beautiful.......drive over the hills from Beverly Hills to the valley via Laurel Canyon or Cold Water Canyon. It is such a beautiful scenic drive. In the valley, you can check out Universal Studio. Seaside.......check out Santa Monica, Venice Beach and Malibu.

Santa Monica is also home to tons of British pubs. I was my home away from home while I was living in LA back in the late 90s.

Great bars, restaurants and music in LA.

Oh - I am so jealous. Have fun.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  6. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

LA has some pretty awesome theme parks, Six Flags is particularly great if you like roller coasters, not cheap though.

Hollywood is probably worth a stroll, it's certainly different. UCLA is a pretty awesome place to checkout as well, especially if you can catch a game there (basketball is the best but you might be too late depending on timing). The Staples area is also a bit of fun. West Hollywood has a lot of awesome retro clothes shops if that's your thing. If there is anything on the Rose Bowl is pretty awesome (long way out though). Venice Beach is also worth checking out, some nice places in Malibu as well.

Probably worth seeing some kind of show while you're there (thinks like the Tonight Show are very popular and actually filmed during the day). Club scene is pretty fun as well but expect to drop some money if you hit it up and much better if you can find a few people to guide you (or just do a pub crawl, they're everywhere).

San Fran check out the South of Market/Mission district (the famous food truck area, some outstanding food and pubs), Alcatraz is worth a day trip if that's your thing, the bridges are pretty fun. Believe you've got the sport side already sorted but if not Steph Curry is kind of worth the price of admission at Oracle Arena. In San Fran I'd highly recommend downloading the metro app, it's excellent for getting around. If you like your wine a trip up to the Napa Valley is another very worthwhile day trip.

Depending how long you're there but a weekend a trip to Vegas is always an option from LA, it's a pretty awesome drive from LA to Vegas through some pretty unique terrain (not a drive I'd imagine you'd want to do twice but flights are dirt cheap anyway when it comes time to get out). Expect to leave years of your life in Vegas though, I reckon it took about 3 years off my life per day there!

Have fun mate!

Jamie Moore likes this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Day trip up to Lake Tahoe for some spring skiing from San Fran. The Golden Gate Bridge is worth walking.

I hear the basketball is quite good. Make sure you catch a game.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Lake Tahoe is awesome... In December last year so much snow. Vegas, my lungs nearly collapsed. Drive to LA is nice. Haven't been to mission Street but heard it's arty. Catch a ballet if it's your thing.

9. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Well played on the booking Alcatraz we went to San Fran last minute and had to wake up at 5am and stand in line for four hours. Apart from that the waterway tours of Chicago are amazing. Child free and no Vegas stop over? Or is it a off the books stop over :p

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Since your wife and kids are staying home...i suggest you make a trip to vegas as well...:)

Azazel likes this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a good start, one of the best value tours you can do. And an awesome Bay boat trip included. Make sure to try some clam chowder at the wharf. The drive down the coast from SF to LA via Monterey, Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach is awesome. Ultimate short driving tour would be LA-Vegas-Grand Canyon-Death Valley-Mammoth-Yosemite-SF-Monterey-Pismo Beach-LA.
    The big cities are cool, but the smaller places in between are more memorable in some ways.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  12. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

In Chicago my recommendations are:
    Wrigley Field - get tickets to a game if you can
    The Art Institute - AMAZING
    Millennium Park - Free and fun
    Inside Chicago Walking tour - lots of great architecture
    The Field Museum - get public transport to get there (an experience in itself) and meet the dinosaur in the lobby
    Chicago architecture foundation river cruise - sounds corny but was beautiful and really interesting
    Giordanos - go there for traditional Chicago deep pizza. Not to my taste but should be tried at least once.

Enjoy!

jchan86, Tattler, JDP1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Thanks for all the responses guys - it's really appreciated :)

14. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I bought golden raspberries at the hollywood farmers market! Loved Alcatraz tour!
    Try the popcorn in chicago... My friends and I (3people) took three days to eat it... Corny but fun (pun intended).

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I would also agree with these recommendations. .especially the deep dish pizza. Also check out the green mill jazz lounge..al capone used to hang out there and has some history...michigan avenue is worth a visit. Skip navy pier.

16. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

+1 to all the Chicago recommendations above.

Alternatively, if ticket to the Cubs at Wrigley is not available (always hard to get tickets), you can always watch the White Sox at US Cellular Field as well. It is also on the CTA Red Line (as Wrigley Field). I've watched a game there when I lived in Chicago. However don't wander off the stadium to local suburbia. South side is pretty dangerous.

Also I would add watching Chicago Blackhawks play at United Center if you can. They are the current Stanley Cup Champions and it is wonderful atmosphere there. Skip the Bulls as they are not good at the moment.

I would advise going up to John Hancock Observatory (Chicago 360) rather than Willis Tower for the view of Chicago and Lake Michigan. That's because from John Hancock you can see Willis Tower in full view, as well as the lake.

John Hancock Observatory is now 360 CHICAGO | 360 Chicago

Or if you are like me, love a dinner/lunch with super views, go and book a lake view table at the Signature Room on 95th floor at dusk time:

The Signature Room at the 95th® – The Signature Lounge at the 96th®

Then wander off to the Signature Lounge on 96th for full night view of Chicago.
    DSC00005.JPG Chicago Skyline - Sears Tower at Night 1.JPG Chicago Skyline - North Shore at Night 2.JPG

Attached Files:

jchan86 and vtt like this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Make sure to at least hire a car in LA and drive up through Laurel Canyon/Mulholland Dr/the Hollywood Hills, and up to Malibu and Point Dume.

18. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

Second the mission district in San Fran. Get some delicious take away, beers and walk down to Delores(sp?) Park in the afternoon and watch the sun set over the city and the bay.

As mentioned also, fisherman's wharf and the clam chowder is a must. :)

Azazel likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Go and chill out in the Tenderloin district too ;)

20. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Second that :)