Koreas dog eating festival

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

South Korea’s dog-eating festival: Where superstition, myth and cruelty meet

I am not a vegan.
    I am an animal lover
    I eat meat
    Yes i am appalled in the conditions these dogs and cats are kept in. But not the fact that they are eaten.

I find it hypocritical that the author and whoever else are critical of the fact that the cats and dogs are consumed.

Its funny how just because cata and dogs are cute that we are appalled that they are even eaten and the koreans are monsters.

We eat cows,chickens and pigs and yet often they are kept in just as bad conditions

If there was some artificial, safe and tasty alternative/manmade/artificial. I wouldnt eat real meat ever!!!!

Does that make me a hypocrit in a different way?

sanj and Blueskies like this.
  2. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Korea - what a great place....unless you are a dog....:eek:

But - everything in moderation.....
    There are strong cultural differences between Australian and Asian outlooks on what is a viable source of protein.
    There does not seem to be a successful alternative to "meat" as we know it yet......

Was in Africa for a while and saw the nice lions and cheetahs tearing apart still living buffalo & zebra - not the stuff you see on TV.....
    We have the canine teeth to bite and chew for a reason.
    I do not think it is hypocritical of you to try to find an alternative.....

Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand all eat dog.....the further out bush you are the better it tastes too.....;)

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

My take is even though taking a life of an animal at any time esepcially at a young age is cruel. Humans are at the top of the food chain (as we are the smartest)

If we can consume animals without any uncessary stress, we should do it.
    But yes the way theyr store those cats and dogs is terrible.

I also think the way we slaughter our cows and chickens isnt as bad as some asian places but is still cruel.
    If an animal can feel any pain or knows they are about to die, its cruel. And i hate it

If there was a complete painless and stress free end to them, id have no problems eating meat and lots of it

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

This dog eating is disgusting, even by my standards.

Dogs are intelligent and show affection. Chickens, cows etc aren't the same. Every time I chase a chicken it just runs away and are a bugger to catch.

Nah, I'd stick to eating the normal stuff we're used to.

and no chicken embryos either!....yuk.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have no problems with people eating meat of any kind ( apart from the health issues of too much). Can't see any moral difference between types - apart from believing it is essential that conditions be humane.

I grew up on a farm and know exactly how meat gets to the table. Ascribing a moral high ground based on looks or cuteness seems, well, just wrong.

But not surprising in this world where form is often believed more important than function!

sanj likes this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

It's all ok as long as you find it acceptable to eat humans too. I would only eat a vegetarian. Free range is better than caged and barn laid would be best of all. Double entendre intended.
    By the way, I do think we shouldn't eat pigs because they are at least as intelligent as dogs (nothing to do with the 2 major religions which seem to agree with me). Cows are really friendly too and often walk with me when I'm out on the country tracks (maybe that's why Hindus go with bovine live and let live). At least their lives are pretty good before they get in the trucks. Has there ever been a kid who wasn't shocked when they found out they were eating a real lamb? It's all to do with how we're brought up. We all certainly eat way too much meat.
    If I was starving and about to die without eating protein, would I consider eating you? I'm rarely hungry now so can't really say.
    Would I eat you at a festival? No. Does that make me self righteous?

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well, nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. Very healthful. I was a vegetarian for about ten years. Which is possibly why I say that meat is meat is meat. If someone does eat meat, I don't think there is any sensible reason not to see different kinds of meat as similar.

I have no problem with people choosing not to eat particular animals - for example their pets. But if the reason for eating some types of unknown animal and not others is just cuteness, then hmmm...

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Is cuteness the reason? Personally, I find all animals cute so it doesn't apply to me. Is it what people are saying, or just someone who wants to justify eating dog meat and play the hypocrite card?
    Of all the hundreds of lovely Koreans I have met, only one or two admitted to eating dog and most were disgusted by it. So who is the beauty, who the beast?
    There is certainly room for discussion on this issue full of double standards e.g. horse meat fed to dogs and on it goes. I think it's important to assume that most people have a decent IQ and some sort of insight though. I could say more about this but I won't.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How are your greyhounds? I bet they're a b&gger to catch. ;)

datto likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

My kids know where their meat comes from.

They look forward to getting a guided tour of the cool room at the butchers when they're breaking down a carcass. They ask what's in the back? A few lambs....nah got anything bigger?

datto likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

As kids, we'd come home from school to find a dead steer in the garage being packaged up for the freezer by Dad and my Uncle.

We kids helped remove bristles from pigs after they were dispatched - using the sharp edge of an empty sardine tin. However, the dispatching was done out of our sight (and the pig was always given a full trough to distract it)

12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Maybe the Koreans just have a deep seated hate over the (perceived) injustice dished out to them many years ago from the citizens of Pomerania.

Especially the fluffy ones that were loud and acted like smart alecks.

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You must be very proud. Well, I know you are. Maybe a summer trip to Korea?

14. Scott No Mates

Summer anywhere isn't my thing if it is >0 deg.

I hear that they have a few hills, might have to try them in winter.