Kitchen Splashback Design

Discussion in 'Development' started by idev, 30th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Hi there, in the process of two double story townhouse development (front and back). Front unit's garage is at back so shared driveway. Front unit's kitchen is on driveway side (i.e. cooktop bench). Driveway is on south side. I have below options:

1. Fixed Glass Window Splashback
    - with this option, we will get some natural light and more open feeling but privacy will be an issue due to another unit at the back. We can put some blinds internally but then over time they will get grease etc. Also will the glass for window splashback be more expensive eg. heat resistance etc

2. Traditional Glass Splashback
    - easier to maintain I am guessing than above and cheaper too?

3. Traditional Glass Splashback just behind the cooktop/stove but have Fixed Glass Window Splashback on it's left and right.
    - we will still need blinds to cover the window splashback and grase dirt will still be an issue. Also this may be even more expensive as assuming the way traditional splashback will need to be cut, to fit in the middle, will do lot of waste ?

Needing your thoughts.

thanks in advance.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You won't be able to put blinds near a heat source - it's too dangerous. But you might be able to put a reflective tint film on the outside of the window so that people going along the driveway can't see in but still have natural light.

Option 2 seems easiest if there is enough light in the area

craigc likes this.
  3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Are you going to rent out or sell? If selling go for the one that looks best otherwise I would go for option 1 as I find natural light is rather important. Personally I don't like glass splashbacks as the seem to show more dirt and the reflections can be off-putting. I have used large matt tiles in the last two kitchens I have installed - minimises grout lines.

4. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster cost wise which will be most cheapest and will tend to provide best look?
    Reflective film is good option but I am guessing in night time when lights are on inside, easily visible from outside?
    We have open plan living on north side with windows and sliding doors.

5. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @Mark F This front unit in question will be our primary residence and the back is either sell/rent. Yeah we also wanted natuaral lights where possible and with the window glass splashbacks main concern is privacy. I am also getting an impression this will require more maintenance than traditional splashback?

One more question - window glass splashbacks need to be exclusive and heat resistant? not like normal window glass and expensive than traditional splash back?

6. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

how about a roller shutter on the outside as an option for number 1, or are you worried about privacy whilst its daylight out?

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It does need to be special glass but I'm not sure if it's more expensive than a glass splashback. It is more tricky to get window frames/benchtops etc all lined up though so the easiest solution is just a normal glass splashback

8. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

My 2 cents - traditional glass splashback - the other options seem too complicated/busy

craigc likes this.
  9. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

What about mirror instead of glass?

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In our IP we paid aditional to have a Smokey Mirror as a splashback as this wasn't on offer by the developer.
    When renovating at home, we went with a window and a wide induction cooktop, the window is just laminated glass and set well back. (it's still only a 600 wide carcuss, but the top goes back in over the window reveal to the glass)

Attached Files:

lixas4 likes this.
  11. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @Archaon yes external window roller shutter is an option. Yes privacy would be an issue when daylight is out. Also these windows are overlooking into the shared driveway. So it's there isn't any view but was hoping to get more natural lights. We are not into so much maintenance so worried if clear galss window splashback would be more maintenance than traditional glass/tile splashback.

12. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster. Based on the feedback here, it appears 'clear glass window splashback' is not easy/straightforward as traditional wall based glass/tile splashback, so there may be cost involved to do this by builder.

13. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @Tufan Chakir I am also slowly leaning towards traditional wall based glass/tile splashback and will need to loose extra source of natural lights. Hopefully windows/sliding doors on north side will bring good daylight.

14. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @AndyPandy (lol liked your username) yes if we choose wall based glass splashback then mirror would be a good option to make area look bigger.

15. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @Stoffo wow you have great views. If I had the same then probably no questions asked. Mine is overlooking shared driveway. My main purpose was to get extra natural light. I assuming ours will also be bit limited with the benchtop width as then min required gap between cooking bench top and island, else island will get pushed towards living. It means it can be an issue for us there is min gap required between clear glass window splash back and cooktop.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

4C376D9D-D063-408D-ADE6-156A62324437.jpeg

What about patterned or slumped glass, something to let light through without losing privacy? Surely this would work just as well as a glass spashback?

You'd just need to ensure if passes any certification required for use as a splash back.

I am not a fan of plain coloured glass splash backs. A friend of ours has one and every smear is visible and you can see where it has been wiped over. I think it would need constant cleaning. But patterned, or slumped glass without a smooth finish would hide a lot whilst allowing light into the kitchen.

That or tile it and add a strip of LED tucked behind the top cupboard and have that on all of the time.

Last edited: 31st May, 2020
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is a highlight window not an option? If it's at 1500mm or higher from FFL it will provide adequate privacy unless the rear PC uccupants drive a 24 wheeler.

It doesn't need to open (you can't reach the operating gear with a workbench/sink in front of it).

The only other consideration is solar orientation and shading.

18. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks @wylie it's a good idea and it would resolve the privacy issues. However it's just me who is not much fan of patterned or slumped glass plus not sure when it would come to actually building things then no such glass which has certification to pass heat resistance and that may come with costs.

19. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanls @Scott No Mates it is great idea I will check with my architect if highlight window can be accommodated given there will cupboards.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Archaon, lixas4 and wylie like this.