Kitchen single bowl vs double bowl sink vs 1 and 1/2 bowl

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Freedom Seeker, 5th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Freedom Seeker

Freedom Seeker Well-Known Member

I need to decide whether I should use a single bow or double bow or 1 and 1/2 bow sink for my IP's new kitchen. What would suit this small kitchen the most? I have attached the kitchen design drawings. It would be good to get your thoughts. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have a large bowl and a ⅓ size bowl and drainer. I've grown to hate it.

When we redo our kitchen, we will do a large bowl with no drainer.

We are trying to get used to no drainer by not dumping things on it... straight into the dishwasher.

I think it comes down to personal preference, but with a small kitchen I would go for more bench space over two sinks.

We really don't need the small ⅓ bowl and if we ditch it, will not miss it.

3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I’d go one large single bowl, no drainboard.

4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

We went one large bowl in recent small kitchen reno.

Draining board fits over the top of single sink ( an accessory

More bench!!

Archaon likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Those tiny second bowls are useless - just end up being used for the dish brush and scrubber.

Is it for a rental? If so, I would include a draining board.

I like draining boards if you are likely to wash pots etc.

Shazz@ likes this.
  6. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I also like a draining board especially for a rental - good place to put hot pans etc.

I would probably have 1 sink in a smaller kitchen - bench space is more important.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I suggest having a drainer as you don't want water lying around and potentially damaging your cabinetry and benchtop. You can get an insert that sits over the bowl that can be used as extra bench space when the sink is not in use.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree with the posts about having a drainer in an IP that has laminate bench tops, but if I was putting in stone bench tops, I'd go without the drainer.

Last edited: 6th Jul, 2021
    Shazz@ and boganfromlogan like this.
  9. boganfromlogan

Yes more stone less steel!

The drain over sink accessory is good enough. Exactly the thought process we had. Also the cost of stone benchtop isn't lower with draining board drilled in!! Less stone same cost! Also cost of kitchen install was cheaper and easier.

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

There's no dishwasher in the new kitchen???? I would think most tenants would now expect a dishwasher. If there is a dishwasher then I would go one one large bowl and no drainer but it's a small kitchen and you might only fit a 1.0 bowl and a dishwasher

11. Freedom Seeker

I did not include a dishwasher in the design and possibly I have to add a drainer for drying the dishes. I am using stone benchtop as I got a very good price from the supplier.

12. Freedom Seeker

That is very compact. I think some people may can not get used to it.

13. Freedom Seeker

Possibly I should have included a dishwasher. For a property with a price tag of around $300k, I assume it does not matter too much.

14. Westminster

I think it would be a deal breaker for quite a few tenants. I would include it.

Shazz@, craigc, qak and 2 others like this.
  15. boganfromlogan

Single bowl and dishwasher work fine. No dishwasher is a different thing. Ur gonna need more diswashing stuff.

qak, wylie and Freedom Seeker like this.
  16. Freedom Seeker

Will talk to the cabinet maker to include one. Thanks for the advice.

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think it all depends on where the property is, how much space you have for the kitchen, and what the expectation of the tenants are. For instance, we've reno'd quite a few properties & not put a dishwasher into them in Western Sydney. These are small, ex-housing commission properties. They sell and/or rent for the same amount as those that do have them, so long as they are well maintained, neat & tidy. But in a more expensive area there is no way I'd skimp on not having a dishwasher unless the kitchen area was tiny.

As an example, we have a friend that lives in a small unit in Ryde. This place is tiny and the kitchen are would be less than half the size of a housing commission kitchen. He put in a new kitchen and it looks lovely, but there is physically no room for a dishwasher. Lucky if they've got five cupboards in there.

18. Freedom Seeker

Would an undermount sink suits better for a stone benchtop.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

This is the same size as two townhouse kitchens I know of. The sink goes to the left of centre in the left-hand cupboard and the dishwasher goes where the right-hand under - window cupboard would go. If that makes sense. I get "seconds" scratched dishwashers for my IPs at about $500 each in Brisbane.

Archaon likes this.
  20. Westminster

To protect the stone from chips at the edge I would go with an top/overmount model especially at this price point. I don't see the point in paying extra for the polish of the edges for undermount

If you want a single bowl + drainer and room for dishwasher then a cheap sink link this would be perfectly fine Estilo Stainless Steel Single LH Bowl Sink With Drainer - Bunnings Australia - or you can go up in quality as to something like this Clark Vital Single Right Hand Bowl Sink With 1 Tap Hole - Bunnings Australia

if going with no drainer this is one of my favourite styles for overmount as the edge is thin and looks good Mondella Rococo Square Single Bowl Sink - Bunnings Australia or Everhard Excellence Squareline Single Bowl - Bunnings Australia