Kitchen renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kyra, 6th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kyra

Kyra New Member

Hi all. Looking to renovate kitchen. The area is not small. House is nice but do not want to overspend. What amount should I be looking at. Also are custom made better than IKEA or kaboodle for residential house? I would want it to look nice with some splash back, good countertops and island bench in the middle. No previous experience. We are in Perth. Please help

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Visit kitchen showrooms. Get ideas/inspiration. Visit several.

Try and start answering some questions in your own mind.

What kind of finish do you want on the kitchen? Do you want shaker profile etc? Do you want stone or laminam or glass reinforced concrete benchtops and splashbacks? Do you want blum hardware? Do you want soft close doors and drawers? Do you want spice racks? Undersink storage? Undermount or top mount sink? single or double sink? stainless steel or white or black sink and appliances? standard mixer or pull off mixer with shower function? Do you want standard sized appliances (either 600MM or 900MM ) or something different? Do you want wall ovens , integrated dishwasher and wine fridge etc ? Do you want storage? How much? Where? Do you want a kitchen island? What sort of lighting do you want ? How many power points? Do you want to put built in USB chargers in the kitchen? Do you want to run data to the kitchen for smart appliances?

You can spend anything from 10 or 15K to 100K + on a kitchen depending on the answers to these any many other questions... YOu havent said whether you want somethi ng very basic or whether this is an O/Occ or INV property

Kitchens are very personal , so before doing anything figure out what you want .

Here are just a few of the crazy range of things available...

AVENTOS HK top

MOVENTO

TIP-ON BLUMOTION

Furniture, Kitchen & Living Solutions / Kitchen Solutions - in the Häfele Australia Shop

Winning Appliances | Kitchen & Laundry Appliances

Winning Appliances | Kitchen & Laundry Appliances

Laminam | livingtiles

Home - Akril

Smartstone | Engineered stone | Quartz Kitchen Benchtops

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2019
    MWI, inbaaa, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Can you post some pictures of the current kitchen?

4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Kyra, what purpose are you renovating for?
    Do you have a budget?

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Personally I've found Perth cabinetmakers to be quite affordable when compared with Ikea or Caboodle and you can have the design and fit that you require. They are generally better in terms of quality and they are professionally installed so will generally be better than a DIY installation.

It's hard to estimate how much this will cost but somewhere around $15k for cabinetry, stone and installation would be about right for an average sized kitchen. If it's larger then allow up to $20k.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi Kyra - the biggest question is - is this an INV or your home?

It's going to make a big difference - if it's an INV, go for bang for buck and keep it neutral, but if it's your home, you can go a bit more personal and put in things that you personally like rather than having to think of what the majority of people like.

Draw a rough sketch of what you want, and get quotes from Ikea/Bunnings, and also some kitchen places. Sometimes the premium you pay for a pro is worth it, especially if you're not handy!

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our local Bunnings advertises $99 for a kitchen consultant to visit and advise on layout. Their Kaboodle cabinet range gets good reviews.

8. inbaaa

inbaaa Active Member

Hi @Kyra, how did you go with your kitchen reno? could you please share your experience as I am looking to renovate my kitchen. many thanks!

9. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I'm also thinking of a kitchen Reno! Whilst on the subject, does anyone have any comment on the best way to pay for a large purchase like this? I don't have a credit card but would it would be worth while to obtain one to get points or something for a purchase like this? (Not often (ever) I made a purchase of this size) .

10. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Ikea have a good online kitchen planner which give you a detailed items and price report. The planner allows the design to be seen in 3D and rotated.

Angel likes this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When I redid my kitchen ($13k) and I didn't have any cash lying around, I redrew from my mortgage. This was pre-offset account days. Credit cards have their place and can be used as a last resort, but can also be a trap. The interest is extortionate, whereas home loan rate is miniscule. "Is a credit card worth having for points?" is another topic. My personal opinion is no, but others' opinions will vary.

Last edited: 6th Jul, 2021

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.