Kitchen renovation advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 21st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

something like this..

Attached Files:

2. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

The only concern i would have is the location of the cooktop. I would consider switching it with the sink. however if you are going to have a 'bar' area ideally you would just have bench space.
    I would switch the cooktop with the sink and move the sink to the other side, above the micowave. Thats my 2 cents :)

3. robbie_p

Spoke to a structural engineer who said this doesnt need to go through council, so one less thing to worry about.

Getting another builder in tomorrow morning who is going to have a look and put a quote for adding the support beam, plastering etc.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. robbie_p

Yup, definitely something i thought about and will finalize everything once i know that the removal of wall and additional support in the roof isnts too expensive.

Currently, there is a bit of a bulk head over the sink, which might be an issue for putting in extractor fan.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

For your island look at cabinets back to back, 600mm and 400 deep cabinets for extra storage from both sides plus extra bench space on top.
    On the fridge wall go floor to ceiling cupboards, ikea do a 2100 high so you can fit heaps of baked beans in there

6. robbie_p

Thanks!

The builder who is coming tomorrow said i wont need an engineers report as he has the knowledge required to design the support structures required..

No engineers report, no council approval.. a few obstacles out the way!

7. bob shovel

YOU found a good builder, that sounded hard ;)
    Most should be able to read a span table and throw the right one up. Probably a 150 lvl beam. But if you had a go yourself worth the fees to be confident.
    Sounds like you'll be opening the place up!

8. robbie_p

yeh.. didnt take too much effort at all to get builders into my dusty, cob webbed roof to give me their opinions free of charge :)

bob shovel likes this.
  9. robbie_p

I had 2 builders come around over the weekend, and they happily were at my property for about an hour each, looking in my roof, giving suggestions etc. They were really helpful.

The only issue i found was that the one builder said things needed an engineers report, with council approval, the other (who seems more technical and could provide his own designs) said no engineers report was require and i didnt need to get council approval (as the lengh of beam required was small enough and he could use existing "codes").

That said, its going to cost an additional 3-4k to open things up, which is fine. The purpose of this thread was more to get an idea of costs and ideas BEFORE i started on other rooms (as i have a certain budget).

Before starting this thread, i had no idea who much things could cost, but now im comfortable with renovating my kitchen, as well as opening things up, for between 10-12k.

10. bob shovel

I did similar with adding a beam my boss was an ex builder and he said it's straight forward for someone who knows what they are doing. The span tables tell you the what is size beam is required. Going through will be a head ache and cost more for the privilege

11. robbie_p

Out of interest.. this knowledgable builder noticed a small wall crack and investigated a little further.. he said it was due to a slight lack of support of the verandah on the roof and suggested that i add some additional support, which will cost $1-2k

12. robbie_p

Hi guys,

I am looking at scheduling the renovation in for December.

I am going to still open up my current kitchen by removing the wall and putting in a small support beam, which is going to cost around $3300. The kitchen built and installed is about $7000.

I have attached some pictures of the design.

The builder is also coming around to quote for "extras" such as plumbing, gas, electrical, tiling etc. I'm not sure if this is needed as I'm not moving services?

Cheers,
    Robbie

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  13. robbie_p

Also, any suggestions to where i should look to buy kitchen appliances from? I'll need an oven, cook top (gas) and a sink.

14. bob shovel

Appliances online, or seconds world and grays online. But not sure how those guys go in Adelaide.
    It's looking good

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It depends if you're after brand new or not.
    Plenty of bargains to be found on places like Ebay.

16. robbie_p

Thanks guys!

As you will see by the designs, the one benchtop will have a cooktop, but it will also be used as a breakfast bar, bar area joining onto the lounge area.

In terms of a cooktop, is there anything i should consider? perhaps a narrow cooktop or perhaps a "flatter" or less "bulky" one, such as the electric ceramic types, which are barely noticeable when not in use.

Thoughts?

17. robbie_p

Also just read about induction cooktops? Any thoughts on those?

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If it allows, make the fridge space deeper so that the fridge doesn't need to stick out as much. Some manufacturers have really deep fridges.

19. robbie_p

Yup, we going to make the little nib wall come out a bit :)

20. robbie_p