Kitchen Reno IP

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ross100, 20th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Hi
    Just wondering what needs to be done/updated in this kitchen to get the rents up. does updating the kitchen benchtop, flooring, cabinet door painted or change. would that help increase the rent. the IP is in Melbourne if so how much can it increase the value. Sorry this is my first IP. Walls have been painted from yellow to beige colour except the brick feature wall. Also do i keep the brick feature wall or change the round sharp to rectangle one and then render it to look bigger.

Attached Files:

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Depends on budget. For a quick makeover, I would paint the cabinets and the wall in the kitchen. Get rid of the curtain and replace with a venetian blind cheaply. I think you can resurface the benchtop to go with the new painted cabinets. Light colours/tones make the kitchen look bigger and brighter. A skylight in the ceiling? Does this kitchen get much sunlight or is it because of the curtain? I think some renovators here on this forum are very good.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Do a search of the area to check out other similar proprieties and what they are renting for and the kitchen condition.
    That kitchen looks pretty good, still has plenty of life in it. You could change the floor tiles but that's quite expensive and won't generate big increases.
    I think any work you do may only increase very slightly, but will make it more appealing. It depends on the demand for the area.

I wouldn't paint cupboards just yet, they still look good, but some new handles are cheap and could make it look newer and trendier.
    The splahback could be re done, tiles are fairly cheap and depends how handy you are if you diy.

Painting the cupboards is a good cheat but as yours are reasonable leave that up your sleeve for now. With painting they are prone to chip if bumped etc and can then cheapen the look,wait 5 years then paint.

Not sure what the brick work is but plastering can make the room bigger and nicer

larrylarry likes this.
  4. bob shovel

+1 blinds or something new there. Even nothing there will brighten it up provided it doesn't face onto the street or the neighbouring perv
    And sky light would really brighten that up. Good handyman job and fairly cheap

KayTea and larrylarry like this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I agree with @bob shovel maximise returns with least costs...and what appeals to renters in the area.

6. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Rattray_handles4.jpg.JPG Rattray_handles1.jpg.jpg Rattray_handles2.jpg.jpg Rattray_handles3.jpg.JPG

I have the exact same kitchen in one of my IPs. I went to Bunnings and bought new handles. I made up a restoring timber polish with 3/4 cup canola oil and 1/4 cup white vinegar, which I used to clean up doors on cabinets. They came up great and the PM let the house on the first day it was open for an additional $30!!!

KayTea and larrylarry like this.
  7. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

New handles and new spashback in large format tiles. De clutter and I think the kitchen will look fine.

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd spak fill the vent half covered by the cabinet (& anything else that looks like that), paint the ceiling, walls, window frame etc with a washable low sheen white, replace the bench top with something brighter (perhaps grey/white speckle, can get from bunnings ~$70) paint the wall tiles white.
    Perhaps put a 2' fluoro light in

Basically, cabinets look fine but with those floor & wall tiles it makes a very dark/dull kitchen, brighten the room up, make it inviting rather than a chore to be in.

larrylarry likes this.
  9. ross100

Thanks all
    Larry, the Kitchen does not get enough light so i guess Skylight is an option. Good point Bob shovel had a look at other rented properties some of them had new kitchen (renovated fully) and drawn the same rent or $10 more so looks like demand is not so great. Yes i will change the handles on the cabinets that not a biggy. Splash back not very handy so will try and find out the cost, same with Skylight. Curtains do i need to change this as i have curtains in the living room and bedroom which are matching. As for the brick work not sure what kind of brick it is. Westoz do you want me to close the vents, is it a good thing to close it.

10. bob shovel

You don't need to change the curtains but some timber Venetians you can order online for a reasonable price.
    Find a handy man to do sky light, tiles and venetian. Days work for him

11. ross100

ok thanks

12. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Best bang for buck (in my opinion)
    • Resurface benchtop + cupboards.
    • New handles on cupboards.
    • Venetians to replace curtain.
    • Replace overhead light with track lights.
    • Repaint wall behind.
    If you think the spend make sense, new splashback or repaint existing. New flooring might make sense too but the bullet points above are the real winners.

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Won't matter to close it, sure there are others throughout the house, there not in newer homes.

Regardless there's a rangehood over the cooker, and a window they can open.

As for curtain, measure up the frame, go to spotlight and ask if they have anything suitable off shelf, if not they can make it up for you. Personally I'd just use a lace that can be washed.

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Hmm first take all the doors out bring it to the spray painter he will resurface and spray it for you it is $80-100 per sqm. Restore the benchtops get builder spec stone or choose the brand YDL cheapest stone in the mkt 1.5k approx should do it. Just use glass splasbsck and get a rotary hammer drill to take the tiles out

15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

My pov is very similar to what's already been said. You currently have a lot of mid browns with a bright yellow.Looks like you get some light through the window but generally it's south facing? So needs a light but warm colour. A very light cream, milk, warm but light natural white. Cream is coming back - light cream is already here.
    Lose the curtains. Once you take them down, you might find you don't need anything there. Less fuss, less dust.
    Paint/ spray cupboards. You could put a light cream up the top and a colour or dark neutral on the lower cupboards or just keep everything the same.
    Resurface/ replace benchtop - nothing wrong with laminate. New handles.
    Get everything off the benches.
    Do you need extra electical outlets? It's pricey but worth it.
    Paint tiles ochre, coral, aqua or milk white, depending on your taste. Anything but brown (dated) or grey (too cool for your kitchen).
    The sky light is a great idea.

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2015
  16. ross100

Thanks all, Steven i like the idea of the track light but never used it. if i replace it with Track light wouldn't it be less bright then the one which has got 3 power saver bulbs in it.
    Melbournian will look into YDL stone thanks.

17. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member