Kitchen reno blunder

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd want the pantry fixed. I'd want everything fixed - actually not fixed - replaced. If fixing means putting globs of silicone on it then not that!

2. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Im terms of being placed and not "patched up", you probably looking at:

- All drawers (as they have scratches inside them)
    - Atleast half the cupboard doors (drill holes can be seen on handles)
    - Backings to both benchtops (scratch and chipped)
    - Potentially the replaced benchtop as kitchen guy admitted 8mm was quite big (i shouldn't be forced to tile somewhere just to cover their mistake)

I think that covers about the whole kitchen! I asked the kitchen guy if he would buy a new car that had been scratched.. he replied that it all needs to be replaced. I wont accept things been "patched up". If there werent so many issues, i would let the odd thing pass, but its not the case.

3. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

I would want it all completely fixed to your wifes satisfaction :D
    You must get very picky here and stand your ground or they will keep doing this to other customers as well. Dont forget its your money, you need to get what you paid for. The installer should measure twice, use a cheap cardboard template and cut once to within 5mm.
    What they have given you is not a professional install.

4. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Yep, happy wife,happy life.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If you bought a kit kitchen and did it yourself would you leave it like that? Or would you have done it in the first place! Those scratches are rough and the silicon is all over the shop like a mad woman's ****!

jim1964 likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Personally I would not let that original installer in my house again. I think you have every right to ask for a better installer.

Yep! Get what you have paid for.

You can ask but it may not work out best for you.

I doubt this will work. Best try to get a proper kitchen install IMO.

I agree. Best not to pay in full unless you are happy with the quality of the install. Or else you will spend the rest of your life feeling annoyed every time you see some part that is not up to standard, speaking from personal experience on this one... :p

You can raise it as an option if you want but I doubt the builder will agree with you.

Tim86 and bob shovel like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Oh dear, that is bad! I would feel like ripping the whole thing out and putting on the verge in front of my house, calling the builder and saying "your fired", I left your "kitchen" on the front verge, please collect ASAP! :p

Tim86 and bob shovel like this.
  8. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Hi robbie

I am still curious as to whether you have check those scratches in the draws to make sure whether they have gone further than the protective plastic covering?

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If they made that much of a botch up, ask it be all fixed.

10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Just read the whole thread. No way in hell i would let that kitchen installer back in my house.

I would demand a new installer come in and replace the whole kitchen. There is silicone bloody everywhere. It looks like Selleys had an orgy in your kitchen.

11. mouseburger

mouseburger Well-Known Member

Just saw the photos - really shoddy. You're paying good money for this and have every right not to pay them until they fix the whole lot using a different installer. Good luck getting it sorted out.

12. robbie_p

The drawers didnt come with protective plastic and the scratches are on in the drawers. This was also confirmed by the kitchen company when they came to inspect. My wife did mentioned the installer was quite rough when putting the drawers in!

13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

The drawers don't Come with a protective coating. They are powder coated and scratch very easily . Not cheap either.

14. robbie_p

Yup, thats the word the kitchen guy used... they are powder coated.

15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Do you know the brand and are they soft closing? The Blum and hettich stuff aren't cheap.

16. robbie_p

I am not sure of the brand, but some of the boxes and kitchen items were boxed / branded by a company called Amorini, so sure if they supplied the drawers.

Yes, the drawers are soft closing.

17. Arms

Arms Active Member

the guys that sold you the kitchen didn't even make it ,amaroni is a factory outlet that supplies kitchens to the wholesale market for cabbies to mark up and onsell .

18. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Wowsa, this was my workshop foreman's favorite saying from the day.Has brought tears to my eyes.

19. jim1964

jim1964 1941

More tears of laughter.

Tim86 likes this.
  20. robbie_p

Just an update from my side..

The new installer arrived this morning to address the issues we raised (except the pantry depth - but thats another conversation).

I think he is going to be quite busy fixing up the issues! He politely told my wife that he would have definitely done things "differently" to the previous installer. My wife is also hearing a bit of "huffing and puffing" coming from the kitchen. lol

Besides the issues he was brought in to address, we will also ask him if there is anything else we missed.

Perthguy and Westminster like this.