Kitchen reno blunder

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

No that is pretty crappy job I would be requesting a whole new kitchen replaced

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I'd be embarrassed giving crap like that to my customers. Certainly not overreacting.

Was the kitchen installed by an employee of the company or did they hire out subcontractors? This is why I don't hire subcontractors - they just don't care .

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be happy with those finishes.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Not overreacting at all.

You might be able to put up with that sort of crap quality if you were paying for a crap kitchen - ie super super cheap.

But you didn't pay for a cheap kitchen, you paid for a good kitchen.

I'd be gutted that my shiny new kitchen was like that.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

When did Stevie Wonder start installing kitchens ?:D

jim1964, clint05 and Handyandy like this.
  6. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Added to this, on the day of installation, my plumber was required to extend his gas connection before the before the benchtop (soon to be replaced) went on.. the installer told my plumber he needed to be there by 12 else he had to proceed with the benchtop. My plumber kindly left the job he was on (at the other side of the city) to get down to my house. Isnt it ironic that the benchtop went on much later and now needs to be replaced?

Also, when chatting about costs to the building regarding the job, i decided to use my own plumber/electrician (saving me about $2000!). The builder told me that was fine but if there were any delays of re-work needed, i would incur additional costs. Isnt it funny that now my plumber /electrician cant do there final fix becuase i waiting for THEM to correct there work?

That said, we have been without services in our kitchen for 2 weeks. Today (4 days after kitchen was installed), i will be getting my plumber to connect the plumbing and gastop etc. For whatever reason these services need to be disconnected (due to re-work), it will be at THERE expense, just as i was told.

I'm sorry, but im putting my foot down and I'm not going to accept this and luckily i still need to pay for the kitchen.

BTW.. the builder replied to my email and said all the issues would be dealt with... does that mean the backing of the "good" benchtop will be replaced (not patched up)? Does that mean the cupboards with visible drill marks near handles will be replaced? Does that mean the draws with scratches inside them will be replaced? Does that mean they would increase the depth of my pantry? If so, it looks like a new kitchen will be installed! :)

Watch this space!

Perthguy likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Get those questions answered before they come in the house!

Taking a punt I'd say he's not happy! And likely new kitchen and new installer!

So now it's your chance for any minor changes to get made, extra depth can be fixed. You've had a rial run of the kitchen! Colours ok? :)

8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Just say you need to finishe the fixups by X date otherwise you would not be paid and you will be looking at damages and getting someone else in to fix it up. He will be back in to fix up everything that's for sure.

9. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

As travelbug mentions the gap at the walls is fairly standard as the tiles will cover them.

It is nearly impossible to get a bench top into a space between two walls as you need room to maneuver. If this is not your configuration (between walls) then there doesn't need to be any gap. It's down to the tradie simply being slack and not measuring correctly. Looking at the general crappy workmanship it seems they simply pulled someone off the street to install that kitchen.:(

Getting back to the gap at the wall you shouldn't have a gap off more than 2-3mm at the bullnose of the bench top as there is no way to cover that with tiles and any larger you will forever notice a gap in that location.

By the way the scratches on the shiny surface look to me like the surface is cover in protective plastic and the plastic has caught. You will find when you remove the plastic the surface underneath is OK.

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2015
  10. robbie_p

Well the installer is at the house now replacing the benchtop, very awkward for my wife to be there lol.

My wife seems to think he has overcut the benchtop again, so shes waiting for him to leave the room so she can send me a pic lol

With regards to a gaps between the wall and benchtop, as mentioned, a 2-3mm gap is perfectly fine, i think a 11mm is not.

With regards to the scratches in the drawers, im pretty certain it was on the surface and not the plastic, but ill check again. When i felt them yesterday they felt as if they were into the drawer. Am i overreacting if they were into the drawer and not plastic?

I guess i wouldnt buy a new car that had scratches on the paintwork and interior, so why a kitchen?

Was chatting to my wife and the deep scratch in the backing of the bench top (attached) is also pretty sloppy and then the dishonesty to try cover it up with silicone. I was telling my wife that if one of my kids and made a mark like that on our new kitchen i would have be very upset and disappointment.. so i shouldnt expect that from an installer. Can the backing be replaced without dismantling everything else?

I think their new company blurb should be "Processional kitchens installed by amateurs!"

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  11. robbie_p

My wife has some taken some pics of the re-work done. Still about a 9mm gap in a area where a splash wont go. Also some very sloppy silicone work as well as covering up the deep scratch with silicone (as before). Thoughts?

My wife doesnt want installer in my house again!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
  12. bob shovel

That silicone is rubbish! There is an art to it. Tell them to use some soapy water in a spray bottle to finish it. (run the bead,then spray, then run your finger over it!)
    The cutting isn't pretty but once splash back is in you wont see the cuts , what splash back are you using? Have they been told?

What is the backing, backing? Which part of kitchen? Island side to open room? They can't just fill it with silicone it needs to replaced.
    Or see if they can get a sheet to cover the entire surface

Johnny Cashflow likes this.
  13. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind the kitchen is the heart of the home so don't settle for anything less than perfect if you are paying good money for it.

14. robbie_p

The deep scratch is in the side of the benchtop backing which is seen as soon as you come through my front door and into the kitchen.

With regards to covering gap with a splashback, i have sent you the location of the benchtop and wall, wasnt actually planning to have a splashback but might have too.

Attached Files:

15. robbie_p

Thats what my wifes keeps telling me :)

Brian84 likes this.
  16. bob shovel

That end panel where the scratch is can be covered over with another panel, but get their advice first. They need to do something better than silicone! By rights they should pull off the bench top and take away that section and replace.

Was it clear at the start that there was no splash back or tiles going there? They may have assumed tiles and that's why they left the gap

jim1964 likes this.
  17. robbie_p

The fact that they have twice used silicone tells me thats its a bit of extra effort to replace the whole backing.

There wasnt mentioned of a splashback wrapping around that wall as i wasnt sure how far i would go .i,e up to the face of the piece of wall sticking out or wrapped around the whole wall up to the edge of benchtop

18. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Looks like they will have to have another go with that top. Without tiling that gap you will not be able to cover up that over cut. Beats me why he was even cutting in that direction. You need it to be a perfectly smooth cut close to the wall anything less is substandard (or tile)

I recently installed a complete laminate bench top having never installed one before and it was good to go first time. So it doesn't take rocket science.

With the scratch on the end panel (more like they dropped it on edge) As Bob mentions they have to replace the whole end panel to fix the damage on that end strip of the panel. It is possible to replace the end panel without removing any other parts of the kitchen. Mind you the way he has liberally used silicone everywhere it may take a while to pry it loose. He should have filled it with the special wax they have and you would never have noticed it - to late now. I suspect that it's not the work but the expense of the panel that they are balking at.

I now get what those plastic scratches are that that are pictured.They must be the inside of the draws. Are they steel draws? As I mentioned previously it's the plastic protective surface that is pulled. Once you start using the draw you are supposed to remove the actual plastic to show the stainless steel or whatever. If the damage has gone further than the plastic covering then you have reason to complain about it.

The silicone of the skirting board is an issue for your builder. There must have been a wall there previously as it is a left over from the wall skirting.

19. robbie_p

Thanks guys.. I'm still waiting to hear what they have to say about the depth of the pantry cupboards..

As mentioned they were previously 280mm deep, they are now 235mm. As mentioned, the nib wall was extended and there is still an additional 45-50mm available to increase the depth, so why wasnt it used when it was the kitchen guy who decided to increase the nib wall in the first place/

20. robbie_p

Hi guys,

Well I had the kitchen company come around to my place this morning and lets just say he was very unhappy with the job of the installer.

Besides the issues I mentioned earlier, my plumber was around yesterday and highlighted a few more issues (mainly alignments etc).

All these issues were given to the kitchen company this morning and he is going to get it sorted. We did however make is very clear that we don’t want to use the same installer as he has 2 attempts to get the kitchen right, yet these still so many issues. We also don’t like his dishonesty when trying to cover up errors with silicone (twice on the same spot!). The kitchen guys seemed shocked about this decision, but I think we have every right to not use this guy again to fix issues?

Regards the depth of the pantry, I repeatedly told the kitchen guy (this morning) that when he was measuring up the existing kitchen and I was also in touch with builder about extending nib wall (it’s the builders kitchen guy), while designing the kitchen, why didn’t he pick up the phone and tell me or the builder “Listen mate, the new pantry means that ill have to reduce your pantry depth from 280 to 235 ”. Had he done that, both the builder and I would have told him “No need to mate, we extending the nib wall by 100mm, so there is plenty of room to for a deep pantry”.

Also, the kitchen guys told me he was going to come around again to do a 2nd measure up (which he didn’t do). When I asked him why he didn’t, he said because I used my own plumber / electrician, they didn’t feel the need to regroup and plan things again. Really? That makes no sense.

He seems very reluctant to change the pantry depth, should I enforce it and do I have grounds to stand on? Remember i approached the builder to embark on this project for everything except the plumbing / electrical. Between them I think they should have been working closer (as I was told they do) to have the same vision. I just can’t understand why I wasn’t told the new pantry depth would be smaller. I told the kitchen guy that this should have been an immediate red flag in which he should have consulted the builder or myself.

In terms of resolving this, should I ensure pantry gets sorted too and all other issues?

Also, should I asked the kitchen guy how much he thinks the current kitchen is worth and pay him that?

Lastly, should we be compensated for any inconvenient this has caused us? Funny.. because I was strictly told by the builder that if I used my plumber/electrician, and not his, if there were any delays caused, this would increase my costs.

As it stands, I have only paid a deposit, but feel in my heart if im going to pay in full I want all issues sorted, including the pantry cupboards, before im happy.

I am also happy to leave the kitchen “as is”, fix the issues myself, and not pay him another cent as I have paid him what I think the kitchen is worth.

Cheers,
    Robbie

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia