Kitchen reno blunder

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Yesterday I had my new kitchen installed and it really looks great (will send pics), but there 2 issues that I’m looking for advice on before I pay over the balance ($4700) for the kitchen.

Firstly, the kitchen installer over cut the bench top and also left a large gap (around 10mm) between the benchtop and a the wall. He tried to seal it up the over cut with some silicon, but I think it looks very messy and noticeable.

Secondly, when the kitchen company come to measure up my kitchen, they told the builder to extend a nib wall to allow for deeper pantry cupboards that what I had originally. After the kitchen was installed I nocticed that they were 20-30mm (or more) shallower than my original cupboards and our kitchen plates no longer fit in the pantry cupboards (as they did before). Surely if they were planning to make my cupboards shallower than what I had previously, sure they should have informed me?

The first issue I want resolved, even if it means a new benchtop. The 2nd issue I could possibly live with, but that fact that I still owe them $4700, I think I have every right to be fussy.

What your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Robbie

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would not be happy with that benchtop at all. Backsplash could cover the gap but won't hide the overcut.

I also would not be happy with pantry made differently to your plan. You can put plates elsewhere but planning and measuring to suit how you already use the cupboards and then not getting that means changing your routines due to their stuff up. First world problem... but you are paying good money and not getting what you asked for. Can that cupboard easily be remade?

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Benchtop needs to be re done. That's **** house. Have you spoken to them yet? One would like to think they are already cutting a new one in the factory now. What splash back are you doing? I managed to hide 20ish mm in mine so don't stress too much over the gap

As for the pantry that sounds like they have measured incorrectly. You should find out what happened there, it sounds like they were onto it but someone has measured or designed incorrectly

Tim86 likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Same as the others, I definitely would not be okay with that benchtop. The cupboard is up to you, but that benchtop is completely unacceptable.

5. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Shocking. I wouldn't pay them another cent until they do it properly.

Tim86 likes this.
  6. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again, so many of the "so called" tradies today are nothing but amateurs.

I take that back, I am an amateur and my work is a hell of a lot better than whatever that is.

Tim86 likes this.
  7. robbie_p

With regards to the large gap.. its atleast 10mm, which i guess could be hidden by a splashback, but considering the gap with the over benchtop is 2-3mm, 10mm does seem like a large gap / blunder. As there is an overcut which will be very difficult to fully hide, as they have no choice but to replace the bench top, they can minimise the gap at the same time.

About the panrty size, as mentioned, its kinda fine with me BUT i do feel that when you hire professionls to measure up, there is no reason why they should be making the depth of my pantry smaller without telling me explicitly as providing me a reason why it needed to be made smaller.

I spoke to the builder this morning. He is very professional and has done an amazing job with the wall removal. He is coming around to have a look tonight but said he would certainly take it up with the kitchen company he used. I have paid the builder for his job (wall removal and beam install)

At the end of the day, i still owe the kitchen company $4700 and if they dont sort it out i wont be paying the balance over until I'm happy.

8. robbie_p

I was telling my wife last night while i was sitting at the new benchtop and having a glass of wine, while looking down at the overcut and gap that i could have done a better job cutting that benchtop!!!

The funny thing was that the installer told me about the gap/overcut so casually and said "I accidentally overcut the bench, i guess these things happen ey? I'll try patch it up with some silicone"

Cia and Tim86 like this.
  9. robbie_p

I dont plan too!

10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Thats terrible. I had a similar issue with my stone benches, I had them make them 3 times till they were right

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Benchtop overcut - they may have a go at using an epoxy colour-matched filler & it may be unnoticeable. The gap - generally covered by the splashback - are you installing one?

Pantry, can you get the kitchen manufacturer to shave 10mm off each of your plates to fit? Hmmm. I didn't think so. He might just need to give you what you ordered (& put the other into the laundry/garage).

12. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

I cancelled payment on your shoddy work, I guess these things happen ey?
    I'll continue to ignore your invoices until your shoddy work is rectified and then I'll deduct 25% as an idiot tax for you wasting my time and causing me inconvenience.

Tim86 and Brian84 like this.
  13. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

i wouldn't pay them and say get a new benchtop done in before any payment is in. There is no way to repair that benchtop without causing a noticable repairs. Splashback still can be rectified by packing up the wall (although not ideal)

14. melbournian

normally in new kitchens (you get a template created) and send it to the stonemason. No one goes and cut it onsite unless there are issues (which should be minimal cuts)

15. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

crap workmanship, I would be ashamed to hand that over to a customer.

jim1964, wylie and joel like this.
  16. melbournian

@robbie_p in btw how much did you pay for the kitchen? that stone looks like "builder range stone" so really shouldn't be that expensive to replace for the kitchen maker

17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

What was the plan in the first place was there a splash back in the plan or was it intended a flush fit,because you could fix the gap,but the overcut something you will look at each day,the whole top will have to replaced..

18. robbie_p

@melbournian the kitchen cost $7,500 (2 pac with laminate benchtops)

@willair there was no splashback in the plan (although i will put on up), but i think the large gap was just a cutting error.

19. melbournian

@robbie_p that's still pretty ex (depending how big your kitchen is). yeah my eyes playing up - looked like stone but upon looking again yeah it is bullnose laminate top.

20. robbie_p

@melbournian I had a look at a few other kitchen suppliers (ikea and u-install it) and the price of this kitchen wasnt much more, which i was happy to pay as it was getting designed and installed by "professionals"

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia