Kitchen Rennovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Aaronjod, 20th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Going to do a complete kitchen replacement in the near future at Rosehill and I am after some recommendations.
    I will be completely gutting what is in there. I know what I want in regards to layout, and I was going to buy some appliances and build the kitchen around it.

I am looking for some recommendation for a cabinet maker & installer. Do they usually do the bench tops too? I want to give them dimensions, tell them how many cabinets, how big my appliances are but need them to figure out the exact measurements of the cabinets to fit together in the space we have? I also want to do one of those cooktop/oven deals where the cooktop is inbuilt into the bench top above the oven, but not one unit.

I have gone in and measured up the kitchen dimensions of the room/plumbing/window etc. I wanna throw in some more power points but was going to do this after cabinets and bench tops were installed, but before the splash back goes in.

Anyone used somebody lately that was good & priced well?

2. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

If you take your measurements to a kitchen company they will work out a plan with you.

They'll give you a quote based on the plan and the finish you want.

D.T. likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Your better off to do a sketch with your layout, no dimensions and let them come out measure it and tell what will work or any advice. That way the responsibility is on them with the tape measure! You are potentially giving them an easy out if something goes wrong

Gockie and WattleIdo like this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah go to a wholesale place, give them your kitchen dimensions and they'll help draw up a plan. If it's a unit I have found it a good idea to have one side at 60 cm width and the other at 90cm. Get a 1 and a half size sink. Appliances will probably be 60cm. Don't go for the cheapest appliances if you can afford to choose better quality. They'll arrange for a good installer and can recommend an electrician and plumber and you might all end up being crammed into one little kitchen at the same time.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. bob shovel

Have you considered Ikea or similar and then get someone to install.
    Appliances go to grays online and shop around

Great use of space that way! More room for dancing rather than half empty cupboards!

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Kittykat

Kittykat New Member

We use Renovation D at Bankstown. Bunnings/ikea didn't have the size we needed. Had to measure it up ourselves and drew a plan for them. They worked out the rest. We installed ourselves, but they can arrange installation for around $1000. We ordered stone separately through a stonemason. With your power points, would it be easier to do power before cabinets are in - more flexibility to run it in the walls and easier work for the electrician?

7. Aaronjod

The kitchen is in a room and if I put 90 & 60cm bench tops it would be too crowded. I've only got 2280mm across to work with so I'm gonna try for 600mm either side.

I've drawn up a demo of how it will look (to scale) in the bunnings kitchen designer. There are a few small gaps because I need 1 cabinet made a touch longer to fit my specifications.

I'm gonna use family plumber/electrician's but there won't be a great deal of this. Good point about the sparky, i'll get him in once it's demoed.

8. 212

212 Guest

We have just renovated our kitchen and replaced benchtop, sink,...etc. We went to a benchtop wholesaler, they did not offer the measuring service, we still went with them as we got it less than half price with our specific measures and dimensions.3500 * 900 mm one piece is not very easy to find. we arranged transport. If you find a very good deal then you can manage measuring yourself, otherwise as others mentioned, let the installer measure to take ownership of any wrong measures and extra cutting to fit.

If you are looking for a stone / granite one, I wouldn't recommend you measure yourself as cutting is not an easy job, it will be heavy as well. If you are not a handy / professional it could easily crack. so maybe in this case pay some $$ extra to get a proper job done.

That's my 2 cents anyway :)

Thanks
    Ramez

9. Aaronjod

I've found a local guy whom a friend has used and recommended. Now I'm after some advice;

It's a U shaped kitchen, and I originally was thinking a laminate timber bench top. The guy recommended against it because the grains would be going different ways where the I meets U. Anybody got any ideas to get around this? I was thinking a real timber bench top.. But not sure on cost. Ideas?
    Otherwise I could pick a stone-looking one I suppose.

10. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Hey Aaron,

My mate is a stonemason so if you want to send me some rough measurements I can get him to give you a quote if you decide to go with stone.
    Or I can give you his number and you can discuss it with him if your interested.

11. Brian84

If your after a 600mm oven then Bunnings have a good builders pack with stainless steel oven and seperate bench mount cooktop for $500. Brand is Bellini I think.

12. Brian84

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

How about just plain laminate? Same colour as cupbards?

14. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I recently installed this in my new kitchen - maybe not as flash as some, but does the job and looks ok.

WattleIdo and Brian84 like this.
  15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I had them for 2 or 3 years too. Actually look quite nice. Work ok but when their time is up, it's up.

Nemo and Brian84 like this.
  16. Brian84

I have the same in my house. Does the job until we renovate our kitchen, then we are getting a 900mm oven.

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. bob shovel

How much is "a touch "? there are ways around it when using flat pack cupboards.

As for the bench top just get laminate without wood grain or any thing with lines.

18. Aaronjod

Thanks Brian. Wasn't planning on going stone, I meant I'll get a "stone looking" laminate, or timber.

Sounds like I'll just have to pick a nice laminate one and forget about timber.

I already picked up a nice smeg oven for $100.

Brian84 likes this.
  19. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

As with any kitchen renovation :-

1. Get the appliances you want first (SMEG cooktop, rangehood, sink -single double bowl) which will come with measurement sheets for cutouts etc
    2. Once you have those appliances all set out then selection of drawer size etc being appliances dictate what you can or cannot do (600-900) etc
    3. Then determine design and finalize.
    4. Pick the finish 2pac, compressed laminex
    5. if it is not stone - try to avoid L or U share kitchens are due to joints

in btw benchtops with a U shape kitchen would look pretty bad in laminex or any other material except stone as the joints would be evident (go cheap stone YDL or something)

House likes this.