Kitchen rangehoods

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jelsa2, 30th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jelsa2

Jelsa2 Well-Known Member

hi People
    Okay so my IP unit has just been vacated. Walked in door, smell of Indian cooking very strong. In the kitchen there is grease covering the light fittings which look gold rather than silver and fat covers the vertical blinds over the kitchen window. PM will get walls painted as these aren't in good condition due to wear & tear and children's drawings and big chips on corners. There is a fan directly above the hotplates, but I'm believing this may not be strong enough to capture the fumes and grease.
    Can anyone advise? Am I best to get a Rangehood put in and if so do people have a brand & size they would recommend. There are no overhead cupboards.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Get something that vents into the roof space rather than filtering in the kitchen

3. brisfisher

brisfisher Member

id suggest taking a photo so its easier to make comment?

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'd suggest renovating and getting tenants who don't leave a mess behind. Not much you can do with a rangehood but something is better than nothing. If you have the fat and grease vented into the roof cavity, won't it go all over the insulation and make a mess up there?

5. Jelsa2

Jelsa2 Well-Known Member

Hi All
    Was thinking of venting through ceiling space and ducting to a flu in the roof.
    In Perth at the moment we have 5.2% vacancy rate. This unit has a good sized kitchen with cupboards running around the base of the cupboards so ample space. Cleaners will be in this week so will have another look when they've finished.

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Unless the top floor no roof cavity.

Exactly! Whilst ducted is great for steam/moister & smells if the filters aren't cleaned regularly grease attached to moister sticks to the inside of the flue builds up and ends up dripping back down etc etc etc.

IMO better to get one that recycles the air, with washable filters, when they build up and start dripping on their cooking etc they'll soon remove and wash the filters.
    This is what I have - https://www.masters.com.au/product/100150111/westinghouse-fixed-rangehood-60cm-wrj600uw

You can get ones that take Charcoal filters to purify the air but they need replacing ($), you can buy Charcoal in bulk, pour some in a stocking and place or hang it inside the unit if needed/desired, just gotta remember to replace it.

Rangehoods look a bit odd mounted on the wall on its own, you can get a wall unit cabinet they mount to the base of from Ikea, Bunnings, Masters etc, if you don't want to lash out on adjoining cabinetry you could put some selves next to it, perhaps one to take a microwave.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. Jelsa2

Jelsa2 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your advice I hadn't thought of the grease in the flu issue. Thanx for the link.

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

With the actual purchase - check out grays online, they always seem to have a lot of decent rangehoods for cheap.

Cheers

Jamie

bob shovel likes this.
  9. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Don't do this, oils will build up in your roofspace, fire hazard. Vent externally.

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How does that happen if you have filters on your range hood? That would mean fats and oils spit out the top of a range hood that vents into the room

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a funny coincidence, a guy at work just told me exactly the same story. Had to pull apart kitchen cabinets to get all of the bits out.

He's going for a Westinghouse, vents via pipe externally or recirculates into the room (with filters as above).

12. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

In our previous house we had a very expensive and supposedly powerful integrated Blanco rangehood that was flued externally out of the wall. It was aesthetically very pleasing but pretty ineffective at extracting strong food smells.

We are in process of doing an inexpensive reno on our new (but very old) house and have put in an IKEA rangehood (suitably called UPPDRAG) which flues through the roof and is absolutely awesome.

vtt

image.jpg

13. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

On the few I've installed, you have a choice of recirculating or extract. If you choose the former you're meant to install the optional carbon filter - though how often this is done is another matter.

14. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I have a Schweigen in my PPOR, one of the best domestic rangehoods you can buy. Flue goes outside BTW. When I cook steak on my searing hot cast iron griddle, a little smoke still escapes. For serious smelly cooking, even a decent middle of range rangehood will struggle to keep up, I'm not sure what real options you do have.

15. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

How much does the Reno cost you? I'm thinking of a similar plan..with subway tiles as splashback.

16. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

We have a small kitchen only 2.4m x 3m in a galley style so benches down each side. For the kitchen reno which includes cabinets (incl pantry with pull out drawers), integrated dishwasher, Smeg freestanding cooker/oven, rangehood, subway tiles, sink, tap, plumber and electrician cost us just under $6,000.

We bought the kitchen cabinetry, benchtop, sink, rangehood and dishwasher through IKEA which had a deal on at the time so we got them for 20% off, I bought the tap and subway tiles on Gumtree and I bargained really hard with Harvey Norman to get the Smeg cooker for a good price.

It's still a work in progress so I will post before and after pics when it's actually in the "after" stage

vtt

larrylarry likes this.
  17. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I will post some pictures for comment later but thinking galley type kitchen from bunnings. It's a very small property.

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The Asian rangehoods kick ass in my opinion. Not the most visually pleasing, but do the job quite well

Sackie likes this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

yep they are great.