Kitchen lighting

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by dan2101, 11th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Just after a solution for my kitchen and bedrooms. It's a basic house so don't want to spend heaps. If you don't want to do downlights and hate the look of oyster and Fluoro strip lights what are people using??!!

Thanks!

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Led track lights?

[​IMG]

dan2101 and Stoffo like this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Ohhhh :cool:
    Lighting, great topic :D
    LED (low cost lighting)
    So many options o_O
    Each place is different:confused:
    Just rock into a local lighting store, find something nice that suits, ask for a "discount" !
    Cheers:p

dan2101 likes this.
  4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Hard to photograph lighting properly. I'm not fan of down lights or track lights. I like pendants. I had a guy down the road make these. He's a ceramicist and I was in his studio at an open studio day and saw a prototype up on a shelf. I asked him whether he would make me a couple of larger ones and he agreed. They are great lights and everybody comments on them. They'll probably never go into production - too hard to get right - so I might have the only ones.
    Scott

Attached Files:

5. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Cool lights @Depreciator but I'm guessing you need something a bit brighter for a kitchen?

6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

They throw a lot of light down on the bench and the rangehood lights the cooktop when needed. And when bright lights aren't needed, there is the recessed lighting, which is even harder to photograph. A lot of thought went into the lighting in that kitchen and it works well. Too many people put little thought into lighting.

Attached Files:

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I really detest track lighting - unless you have 3m ceilings - even then, there are better options.

Have you been down to your local Beacon Lighting (or similar) - there are so many options nowadays, rather than plain fluoros or downlights.

We had these pendant lights commissioned at a similar price to what nice pendants would cost from Beacon.

2017-07-07 18.28.14.jpg

dan2101 and wylie like this.
  8. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I like pendant lights but the biggest problem I have is the cables that run between the ceiling and the lightshade. They always look messy at the start, and after a while it gathers dirt/dust.

For our Unit we bought a track light, despite my dislike for them. Surprisingly it works well. It only has two bulbs, one shines onto the pantry and another to the basin/cooktop area. Since it is a mid-size Unit, it looks really quite nice. Also we picked the lightbulb that's warmwhite, so I think it's really nice....

Halogen Spot Light Twin Dimmable GU10 50W in 30cm Pola Oriel LIghting | GoLights.com.au

The only issue is it's halogen so might be rather costly. But we dont turn it on all the time. The cost is offset by the non-expensive fittings. So we're happy.....

dan2101 likes this.
  9. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

You can get GU10 LED bulbs. Spend $10-15 and ditch the halogen power (and heat) for good.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice