Kitchen flooring - Hardwood Timber or Vinyl Planks?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Spoony, 11th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

I've gotta do the flooring in the kitchen (and ajoining laundry) on an IP I'm purchasing in East Ippy. It's 1950's original vinyl at the moment haha.

The rest of the house has natural hardwood floors, so my first thought is to pull up the vinyl and get the timber sanded and polished. However I think this will cost as much as doing vinyl planks. I'm thinking 25sqm?

If using vinyl planks has anyone used the glue down type straight over old vinyl? (save the mess of pulling up and cleaning the old stuff)

The original kitchen is staying but will be refreshed, so painted cabinets and overheads, redone benchtops etc, so a bit of a fresh retro look. I figure natural timber will look the best and match the rest of the house, but is durability an issue in a kitchen?

The Laundry I'll just do the same vinyl planks if doing the kitchen that way, or if polishing the kitchen will just do full cover vinyl in there, I'll be able to get some off cut of that super cheap.

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Hmmm? Without inspection I'm kinda undecided with this one.

Perhaps get a couple of local PM's in for an overall assessment of the property incl rental value etc, see what they suggest for local market.

From that work out costs, including long term maintenance etc.

Joynz likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Loose lay vinyl planks will go over the lot, I wouldn't use less than 5mm though.
    As said in previous threads their easier maint, especially if damaged vs timber

However, as u say, if u have access to very cheap roll out, $ wise it maybe a better option. Can cover old as long as level & not spongy, otherwise it won't last long.

Joynz likes this.
  4. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

Cheers, will chat to a PM friend on this one.

The existing vinyl has a warn section and what seems to be an underlay or something, which could hinder laying over. I've wondered on a timber floor (even if going over old vinyl) if loose lay could cause water issues. Ie spills would just get under and perhaps stay wet/rank for ages.

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Well I can only go by what I've been told & seen via demo but apparently it can be laid in the bathroom, ob has to be laid correctly.

Go into a major flooring retailer & ask for a demo

Spoony likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Loose lay is fine for wet areas according to the packs I have. Check the brand you are considering but I believe all loose lay vinyl is fine for wet areas.

The type I have clicks together.

Be careful of the 'underlay'. Could contain asbestos.

7. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

Ahh ok cool, so it must seal enough to the underfloor and between each other. I figure the product itself as water resistant, but I the concern was when the liquid got through and past the planks.

I had been warned about the possibility of the underlay having asbestos. This older home thing an eye-opener/somewhat annoying in that regard lol .

It's sounding like loose lay planks over the existing is the fastest and cheapest option. Just won't look as nice/match the rest of the timber flooring. Hardly gonna matter for a rental I guess.

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

It's not "loose lay" if it "clicks together", defeats the purpose of easily remove/replace if one in the center of the floor gets damaged

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The advantage is that if water does get on vinyl it doesn't swell. Also you can lift the planks to let things dry out and then relay them.

The joins on mine are tight, however, I don't think there is any expectation that water won't get through the planks to the subfloor. But if it does it's not such a big issue.

If you are laying it over a base that would swell ( e.g. chipboard) and had a washing machine leak, I would always lift a few planks once everything is mopped up, just to see if underneath was dry.

If laid on vinyl, that might stop any water that gets through from evaporating, so you might to to lift a few planks to allow drying because of that. Mine will be laid on hardwood planks, on stumps, so water would likely evaporate in time.

You need a reasonably flat surface - check before buying that it fits inside the tolerances - you may need to sand or use leveling compound otherwise. Be careful to follow the installation instructions, especially regarding expansion gap at the edges.

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2017
  10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Different retailers have brands, colors, widths/lengths etc, shop around till u find the best match.
    You "may" have to add trim where the two floors meet (height/trip hazard) which will assist variables

11. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

I would suggest vinyl in the kitchen area. Kitchens have the most impact to flooring and the repair bill to the wooden floors would be high and also disappointing that you have spent the money to bring them up to their formal glory.

I highly recommend to put in the special terms of the lease agreement that the tenant must place felt protectors to stop any scratches or any other damage.

When you go to sell that is when I would rip the vinyl up and clean up the wooden floors ready for sale.