Kitchen Benchtop

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by CryptoClown, 12th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. CryptoClown

CryptoClown Well-Known Member

A tenant has just given notice and I have a short time frame between tenants to do up the kitchen. I've got my laminate paint, sink and tapware ready. The benchtop I'm not sure about as I don't think I'll have time to organise a new one and it's quite an odd shape.

It's the old school 80's bright green. I'm sure a few of you remember it or have seen it in your property journeys. Has anyone tried relaminating a benchtop? Does it look any good? Any other options that can be done within two to three days?

2. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Rustoleum counter top transformation kits but might be hard pressed in that time to correctly cure

CryptoClown likes this.
  3. CryptoClown

Thanks mate. I'll look into it.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My first kitchen had that green bench top. :p

We have an IP that had the original 30s kitchen and we couldn't afford a new kitchen and weren't prepared to pay for a new bench top so we got some plank flooring (could use vinyl or thin laminated like we did), added an edge strip and it lasted 14 years until we renovated the house. It would have lasted longer, was still in really great condition, but we ripped the kitchen out.

These two photos aren't the best, but this bench worked really well and cost us probably $50 at most. Hubby removed the old metal edge strip, glued the floorboards to the laminate, added a (nearly) matching timber strip (Bunnings). It was quick and easy and was better than the faded red top, and we painted the cupboards (they were blue).

IMG_5249.jpeg w550-h366-7201006_2_pi_150304_093003.JPG

craigc and datto like this.
  5. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Dulux now have a new product for bench tops in the renovation range also, I have not tried this one. Can also use the White Knight laminate paint also and put the bench top clear over it as an option
    IMO would all be OK options that will suffice for the next few years until you decide it’s time to replace the bench

^^ edit - The floor planks came up pretty good considering cost and time

datto likes this.
  6. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Use the White Knight laminate primer as the base then use White Knight or Dulux or whatever as the top coat(s).

Very easy to spruce up between tenancies. Simple and cheap.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our 70s benchtop was bright yellow (no, I didn’t choose it) and we subsequently had it re-laminated. Tradie just glued new laminate over the top of the old. Back in the 90s so price not helpful now, but it was relatively inexpensive.

8. CryptoClown

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll post some before and after shots in the coming weeks :)

Archaon likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Would spray enamel that @datto uses to rebirth cars work?

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I normally only do a reno when the kitchen carcass and benchtop is pretty much gone ie I'd probably leave it if it's still in good condition and not resort to trickery like painting the benchtop.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I recall seeing a fake laminated stone solution. Its a thin laminate of stone that is glued over all sides. No tiles to remove etc....Like veneers to teeth

Kitchen Makeovers and Overlay stone -