Kitchen bench tops too narrow

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by RM1827, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster. I am looking for some advice on how to do a quick cosmetic reno in the kitchen of my IP.

It is a old unit located in a blue chip suburb in Brisbane. Previous owners did some work, they put tiles in the floor(not my first choice) but the kitchen looks a bit old. I reckon for demographics in the area updating the kitchen could make it more appealing for tenants and maybe we could get some CG.

The kitchen I think it has good bones but the bench tops are narrow for the standards. Is this fixable or will we need to replace it entirely.

This is our first project and trying to learn. Thanks. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You won't be able to make the bench top deeper without replacing the cabinets, or you'll have a big overhang which would be weird. I'd replace the lot.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You can just order standard and rip them down to size - cut the width to match existing. Smaller cabinets in a unit is a good idea, less people, so less pots and pans plus makes the kitchen feel bigger... (Mental note taken)

Either do it yourself or go to a kitchen place and they'll whip it up.
    New top and handles and your done!

4. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply. Those were our thoughts too. Would those flat packs kitchen do the work? We don't want to over spend and not being able to recover the investment.

5. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

What do you mean with order standard? Do you mean like the flat packs kitchens?

6. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

What I would do is get new wider bench tops and end-panels.

I would then space out the existing cabinets to suit.

Depending on what type of taps (if wall mounted you could leave) you may have to extend the inlet pipes into the rear of the cabinet.

The drain may need extending too.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If you do it yourself you can go ikea or bunnings etc and get their bench tops off the shelf, the standard width 650 (i think), then cut to suit your cabinets (cabinet depth + 50mm)

8. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Ok. So if I am understanding correctly, I could move all the cabinets out and cover the space at the back with a wider bench top and then extend the pipes to the wall. Is that correct?

It is wall mounted. But really don't like.

Attached Files:

9. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Moving them out will work but you'll have to alter the corner cabinets because of this.(as they'll want to overlap)

Stick with the wall mounted taps unless you want to re tile..

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Depending on how much you want to spend a fairly basic kitchen from Masters/Bunnings/Ikea would work well.
    Alternatively like suggested you could move the existing cupboards forward and create a gap at the back and put a new benchtop on top but the corner areas will get tricky.
    Consider putting in a under bench oven with a range hood and overhead cupboards if you want to make it look nice and modern.

11. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

We want it to re tile with wider tiles or splashback (this might increase costs although not sure how much).

I just feel that the freestanding kitchen stove and oven looks odd and it is because the cabinets are not deep enough. I'd like everything to be aligned.

12. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If the cabinets are still good could you not bring the forward and place a wider benchtop

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

When you have a small kitchen do consider going as tall as possible to maximise storage

[​IMG]

14. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd like that. I agree with you they make them look more modern

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How much more rent can you get if you spend say $4K on a flatpack kitchen and ditch the upright stove. Unless you get rid of that stove, it will still look cheap. Perhaps just rent it "as is" and save the upgrade until you need to. Can you get a local agent to tell you if a newer kitchen will get you more rent, and how much? That would form the basis of "do I do it?" or not.

16. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your replies. I am certainly picking your brains ;).

I should probably mention that I live in Sydney and property is in Brisbane so it would be an interstate reno. (First IP, First reno, First interstate reno....maybe is too much hehe)

17. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your post.

Property is in Balmoral and already rented. Unit upstair is fully renovated and is rented $20 per week higher than ours.

I agree with you that stove needs to go.

Local agent told me that kitchen and bathroom are the way to go.

18. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

This is what owners upstairs did with their kitchen.

It is rented $25 more.

Attached Files:

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Those two photos are chalk and cheese. That "after" kitchen looks like it has cost about $15K.
    I wouldn't spend anything like that just to get an extra $25 per week. Is this Balmoral Brisbane? We've just dropped the rent to get a tenant in the same area. Ours is a house, but rents are soft right now in the areas I know well.

What sort of rent is the one upstairs getting?

What is the bathroom like?

20. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Yes, is in Balmoral, Brisbane.

Same story here we dropped the rent as well.

I don't want to spend that kind of money I just want the kitchen to look like I did:p.

They are getting $365

Attached Files: