Kitchen and bathroom reno - each around 2K possible? advice to first timer renovation please!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cbarchangela, 10th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cbarchangela

Cbarchangela Active Member

Hi,

I've been browsing around and getting quotes from tradies and I am trying to keep my cost really, really low by all means. I need a kitchen reno that involves changing cabinets, sink, taps, and paying extra for rangehood (gas stove is still OK) - all cheap supply is OK.

I've only spoken to one tradie so far and he said his quote will be way more than 2K but he needs to have a look what i really need. I am after a very cheap materials/products and wonder if my material cost is low can I still do it within budget?

The same applies for bathroom. I definitely need to strip out my old shower screen, bathtub (rusty bits here and there), change new vanity, and perhaps changing/painting tiles. I don't mind paying for all the supplies (which i am happy for them to get Bunnings quality fittings), however some tradies have quoted me up to $12K though they haven't seen what I really need.

This is my first time doing renovation, so i wonder if tradies out there will try to suit your customised needs rather than just what's available on the market?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Where did you get the 2k figure? Do you have an idea of how much the cabinets etc will be?

3. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Maybe have a look on the Bunnings website on what your get for 2k. Not much. And the treasure also wants to get paid. I would say you can do a basic reno for 2k of you do most of the work yourself. I don't think you get a treasure to do a lot of work for even 4k.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did you mean tradie (not treasure)?

I’d say you could get a second hand kitchen with that budget but tradies will he hard to get and still stay under.

Bathroom is harder (almost impossible) at that budget (depending on scope of work) as so many different trades are needed.

The Gambler likes this.
  5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

It's important to realise that even come out to quote means a job needs to be a minimum size to make it worthwhile. You won't get far only using tradies for all the work with your budget.

Bunnings is far from the cheapest place to buy things and with your budget I would think about tile paint, painting cupboards/benchtops, new cupboard doors only and possibly even bath resurfacing. Not sure where you are in Sydney but think west in terms of finding good suppliers or greysonline.

Also watch a couple of dozen Cherie Barber videos ;)

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

On, the guy who I have in mind is precious :rolleyes:

7. Cbarchangela

A tradie quoted $2200 ish but he thought i only needed cabinets and benchtops when i said to him i forgot to include sink, tap, and install a new rangehood (which I'll happily buy and supply) he was like oh that'd be way more more than that. I actually think sink and tap aren't that expensive (but i understand that it involves plumbing work), but if i can get the cheapest cabinet, etc then i hope i can secure a service that is still budget friendly. I have no idea how much cabinets cost :(

8. Scott No Mates

Plenty of budget flat pack kitchens online.

Price will vary depending upon how many units you require.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

10. JoHa

JoHa Well-Known Member

Yep, Tradie not treasure . Autocorrect wasn't correct after all.

The Gambler likes this.
  11. Cbarchangela

i found a package for $1995 online (really basic white looking) at kitchenunder2k.com.au .. say that I ask the tradie to get the package from there for 2K basically, how much does a tradie cost? I know one person quoted me $55/hour. So how many hours / days in total normally they do the job for?

As for bathroom renovation - i think that'll be way out of our budget if i have to change tiles.
    I might just get a handyman to install a new vanity, and replace shower screen for now then do resurfacing for the tiles and bathtub. Anyone has any experience with resurfacing? Seems like it's not a popular option if i do a google search? :(

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

2k each for kitchen and bathroom reno for the things you described - Almost no chance.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

OP may be a slum Lord in the making.

datto likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I can't be bias against Slumers. I was called a Luxury Slumlord today.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Lots of videos on tile and laminate (cupboards) painting. Bunnings sell paint and have how too videos.

Bathtub resurfacing brings up a number of hits. It is also possible to diy paint

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If you DIY and knock off everything you need you could do the bathroom and kitchen for no cost at all.

codeninja and Stoffo like this.
  17. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The Mount Druuiitt way?

datto likes this.
  18. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Why are you even doing this, op? Reno to sell? Because its old and broken? Thats even assuming your waterproofing etc is still good.

TheRayTracer likes this.
  19. Cbarchangela

To be honest the unit itself is around 21 years old. I tenanted the property for 2 years. No visible damage from tenants after I am getting the property back.

The kitchen is still fully functional but the colour is tired and old looking (think about a pink kitchen!). Of course there are marks and grazes and stains every where in the cabinets but that's fair wear and tear from the tenants. I have chipped wall tiles (near the sink) and rusty mixer taps at the moment. What i really need isn't a complete strip out but rather new kitchen package with accessories and a tradie to install it.

For bathroom unfortunately i might need a bigger renovation. The floor and wall tiles colour are so mismatched. The shower screen has collapsed and the rollers were not working (it happened during the time it was tenanted and was suggested by the property manager's handyman back then to replace a shower screen instead of getting it fixed as it's a really old style screen). I have two rusty spots in the bathtub as well. Vanity's been water damaged (perhaps from fair wear and tear by tenants), but overall what the previous owner has left us is all old kitchen and bathroom. I dont need to change layout, just need new kitchen and bathroom packages to replace the current fittings.

If you have any suggestions that'd be great!

20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

$2k is possible if you do 100% of the labour yourself and go for good quality second hand appliances.
    Otherwise, no.

MikeyBallarat and Tom Rivera like this.