QLD Kippa-Ring (Moreton Bay Region)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by bobbyj, 27th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hasan

Hasan Member

2. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Ripehouse is awesome I reckon. Would be interesting to have a @ripehouse video on moreton bay. @jacobfield

3. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

@Ripehouse.com.au

ej89 likes this.
  4. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

Hi @Coota9, @ej89 etc,

I recorded a webcast regarding Moreton Bay back in February with a local area expert and someone who has brought in very high volume in the area over the last couple of years. Recording - <-- some analysis is at about the 1:15mark, but it is all GOLD!

Just to clarify - Moreton Bay has been our strongest growth market since DEC/JAN 2016 -there is a massive amount of heat now in the key investment grade markets which is making actual acquisition difficult. What you tend to see in these growth markets, very quickly in some cases - with large volumes of investor turning their attention towards them, is the price disparity between old/unrenovated and new/renovated becomes VERY tight. This is most definitely the case in key markets in Moreton currently, with investors falling over themselves for key investment stock and the price gap very tight (around 10%).

Due to this acquisition issue, and recent growth (hence yields are dropping) Moreton Bay has dropped from our number one growth market recommendation. The buying window for optimum acquisition was only around 4-5 months in many suburbs here. We base our recommendations on LIVE 90 day rolling data, and I have noticed other expert recommendations come into market about 10 weeks behind our recommendation for Moreton Bay. Since JAN we have seen very good growth with Ripehouse investor purchases throughout Moreton - 7-10%.

Moreton is however still very popular with Ripehouse investors (in terms of interest):

[​IMG]

TheRons, Coota9, ej89 and 2 others like this.
  5. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Interesting to see Ipswich sitting so low. The first 5 I can understand.

6. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

That's awesome mate thanks heaps! Will check it out now. What generally happens when the gap between old and new becomes close? Do people then go for new?

7. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

@Ripehouse.com.au a little tip. Your website is not mobile phone friendly, very hard to navigate.

8. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

9. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

I agree
    Difficult to use on iPhone 6S

10. Jacob Field

re phone support - the high level content type pages are responsive to mobile - however we really do not support phone usage on any of the research based pages. There is a lot of functionality and data to digest and we optimize for a desktop experience (back at base) to target suburbs/streets/properties and do your deep drill down due diligence. Then go out into the field.

Greyghost likes this.
  11. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

iPhone 6s

Have not tried on laptop yet

12. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

I find it works best within Chrome Internet Browser either on IPad or PC

Jacob Field likes this.
  13. Jacob Field

Optimized for Chrome :)

14. rookie101

rookie101 Well-Known Member

The area is definitely heating up.
    Westfield is absolutely packed. There have been traffic jams getting out of the place since easter and the opening of the extension.
    With another extension due by Christmas it's going to be chaos.
    A new sports club has been announced for the back of the estate and world gym is building also.
    Commercial growth is very strong

bobbyj likes this.
  15. Dave Ward

Dave Ward New Member

I agree with most of the sentiments expressed by many of you throughout the post. Long term, the area is a very solid investment back by (as you know), the Moreton Bay rail link (due to open early 2017 now), Lawnton University (just started construction for first intake in 2019), the Westfield expansion, numerous schools and quite a limited future supply of housing slated for the region over the next 10-15 years.

I have bought a lot of property in Griffin and Mango Hill over the past 2 years and already seen some excellent growth (in some cases, 20% since the purchases were made), however now if you are buying in these regions, you have to be very strategic in your selection and housing type selected (I think location does 80% of the work and the housing design the other 20% in an investment).

If you look further North towards Morayfield, I believe there are a few more opportunities in there based on the more affordable price point to get in for a house and also the Moreton Bay's long term vision (2031 planning scheme) to have 2 out of every 3 residents in the Caboolture area work in the area. The North East Business park in the new North Harbour precinct will employ around 25,000 in the next 10 years as it begins to materialize and attract industry. That in conjunction with a $300 million man made marina will certainly add a lot of interest to the area and change the current perception of residents and queenslanders in general of the area.

Last insight for Morayfield is that 90% of the englobo land in this area is owned by the Catholic Church and has been the focus of many developers over the past 5 years. They have refused to sell at any price currently, so the supply in North Harbour and Morayfield that can enter the market is restricted to around 3,000 lot currently. This however, could change in time, but even if it does, there is still going to be a long lead time before the land hits the market for sale and ultimately building (3-5 years minimum), which of course is what we search for as an investor.

16. rogerG

rogerG Well-Known Member

17. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

It's a low socio-economic working class suburb.
    Look on the council website, they've rezoned certain streets for development/townhouses etc which will affect the property's value down the track.
    1Km within the station will suffice.

Getting down and on the ground will help you see for yourself which streets are nasty.
    After speaking to some real estate agents, most of the suburb is decent.
    There is a block or 2 where the rough crowd live. I don't remember the street names but can point out on a map where it is. Not close to the shops or station.

rogerG likes this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Moreton Bay is moving along nicely..not as solid as parts of Melbourne but moving well.

Despite people banging on about Logan/Goodna...the infrastructure and perceptions about Moreton Bay being a superior location and value for money is now driving prices up not only from investors but also locals wanting a place to live.

Dave Ward and tomlemke like this.
  19. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Welcome back @sash. Where next?

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Personally...I think the Brisbane market will continue to perform...despite what others are saying the value proposition compared to inner Melbourne and all of Sydney is outstanding.

I think Logan will also perform albeit not as well as investors find it harder to finance deals.

The icing on the cake is if jobs opportunities increase in Brissie. ..

Melbourne Outer suburbs are also performing well and will continue to do so if affordability exist - i.e. under 500k. for houses....

JZ93, bobbyj, Angel and 1 other person like this.