NSW Kingsgrove insights

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by aving1001, 7th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aving1001

aving1001 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I have been looking for suburbs where it is possible to find a house under a million. Hence Quakers hill was one of the favorite in this category. Recently I have noticed that kingsgrove has also quite A few listing under million. I tried a quick search in the forum but didn't see it is much discussed. Any insights into the profile of this suburb.
    Many thanks for your kind inputs

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I don't think it hard at all to find a house under $1m in Sydney, but price surely can't be your only criteria. You will need to tell people a bit more. Is this for a rental, or your own home? Is proximity to trains important? Schools? What is your brief?

aving1001 likes this.
  3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I live in the next suburb, so can help out on any specific questions you might have ...

aving1001 likes this.
  4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Quakers Hill & Kingsgrove are very different areas in many ways. It is possible to find a property for under $1m, but they will be very different properties in each of those suburbs. I agree with @Depreciator. Under $1m can't be your only requirement. What else are you looking for?

aving1001 likes this.
  5. aving1001

Thanks @Depreciator @George Poullos and @qak
    I am looking to live and hold for long time. I have a young family that includes a 2 year old boy. So in coming years school and cultural diversity is important. My wife and I both would mostly work in city to commute times to city are also very important.

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2018
    Phantom likes this.
  6. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Kingsgrove is culturally diverse - there are Chinese,Greek, Italian and many other cultures also. Has great access to the freeway, plenty of street shops on the main road & bigger malls in nearby suburbs - Roselands Centro, Hurstville Westfields, Rockdale Plaza also little further away.

Train goes into city via airport, you can also use the Bexley North station (which is one station closer to city) depending on which side of Kingsgrove the house is. About 35min from memory for the trip into Wynyard. Airport is a 10 min drive outside peak hour traffic. There are some private schools in the neighboring suburbs which are the religious ones mainly.
    That said, the houses that go for under $1m are really the ones that will need substantial work and/or barely habitable or are a basic 2 bedders. So, keep in mind they might require decent renos before you put your family in them especially if you will be there for the long haul.

aving1001 likes this.
  7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

That's a bit better. So you're looking for a house with a yard. And if you will likely work in the city, being walking distance to a train is important.
    Quakers Hill will be a killer commute even on a train.
    As George said, of the two suburbs you mentioned, look more closely at Kingsgrove. But there must be plenty of middle ring houses not too far from train stations for $1m? And if there aren't now, there may be soon. You are fortunate to be looking in a falling market, so don't rush.

aving1001 and Phantom like this.
  8. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Hi @aving1001 , I grew up near the area and, just happen to have one selling there at the moment :) Going to be an interesting test of the market for us - the timing of the sale is not something we could control. This property is in Narwee and was valued at $1.5M in April - the previous valuation was $680K in early 2014. We are still expecting something near the April valuation - so will be interesting !

Anyway, after your post I had a look at Kingsgrove and there seem to have been a few recent sales around the $1M mark - so it seems a reasonable expectation. Kingsgrove & Beverly Hills have a lot more major roads and industry than Narwee so have a bit of a different feel. But they are very convenient.

9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Agree pretty much with George. Kingsgrove ("KG") is close to Earlwood for Greek influences, then the Catholic churches in KG and Beverly Hills ("BH") attracted more Italian and Lebanese. Hurstville is close so there have been Asians arriving in more recent years.

The local Catholic primary schools are in fairly high demand; St Ursula's Catholic girls high has a good academic reputation as well. For public primaries, Beverly Hills has two which have a good reputation, but I've never heard anything about KG public itself. The two public high schools in KG are not the best ... the girls high school in BH has/had good reputation with a strong principal (who may have moved on?), the demographic is very Muslim. There are selective boys and girls high schools in Hurstville and Kogarah ( a few suburbs away)

Kingsgrove is split in one direction by the M5 motorway, with some commercial/light industry around the motorway entrance/exit. The railway station is in same area as the motorway exit and the roads there can be quite clogged in peak hours. There is a bus depot in the industrial area, and a new Bunnings. They are currently building an entry/exit for the WestConnex project in KG.

I think Kingsgrove road is the boundary between Bayside and Georges River Councils, so if you are looking to rebuild, be aware different rules may apply in different parts of KG.

There are relatively few units in KG, the most significant recent development is next to the station at The Pottery which has a little plaza with a few cafes/restaurants, a small Woolies & BWS. One cluster of older (housing commission?) units is near the station, and another is in KG North.

More restaurants on the main street, with small local shops, barbers & a couple of butchers. There is also a smallish RSL Club and a pub, a couple of banks and a post office.

Jamesaurus and aving1001 like this.
  10. aving1001

Train goes into city via airport, you can also use the Bexley North station (which is one station closer to city) depending on which side of Kingsgrove the house is. About 35min from memory for the trip into Wynyard. Airport is a 10 min drive outside peak hour traffic. There are some private schools in the neighboring suburbs which are the religious ones mainly.
    That said, the houses that go for under $1m are really the ones that will need substantial work and/or barely habitable or are a basic 2 bedders. So, keep in mind they might require decent renos before you put your family in them especially if you will be there for the long haul.[/QUOTE]
    thanks @George Poullos and @Depreciator for your advise would be mindful if there is anything ready to move it available. Also i was looking at quakers hill because of its more comfortable for finances and yes commute will be a pain unless we manage to get some work in Parramatta.
    Do you recommend any other suburb to consider within the criteria's i have?

11. aving1001

@Tonibell Good luck for your sale mate , I hope it goes well. I will definitely avoid being on big road side. Also do you think having industrial area has negative impacts on livability ?

12. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I lived in the area for 25 years and think qak's comments above are pretty accurate.

Kingsgrove still isn't somewhere most people would feel comfortable walking around at night, particularly near the station. Same with Narwee.

aving1001 likes this.