Killing trees & stump removal methods

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Tekoz, 9th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

There are several different types of herbicides to solve this.
    I currntly use
    20190616_073827.jpg
    10ml per litre, won't kill off grass (even buffalo)
    Though you don't want to mow it either side of application for about 1 week.
    @Tekoz pm if you are near Sutherland for some (IIRC you are on the south side ?)

Tekoz likes this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes, I use similar for weeds in the lawn and in general garden beds where grass is not an issue but as we don’t have Buffalo grass Kamba M (dicamba + MCPA) or cheap equivalents does the job well.

Glyphosate is used in general garden beds where couch / kikuyu (most of our “rural” lawn) is an issue.

None of these toxic products are used near any of our productive gardens which are enclosed and in raised soil above natural ground level.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For killing plants but not lawns, you are looking for a "broad leaf herbicide". There are organic ones out there. But even if you don't want organic, avoid anything containing clopyralid, which has been found to persist in the dead plants affecting compost, and has been banned in some places.

This one contains clopyralid.

Tekoz likes this.
  4. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

I used Zero Weedkiller two weeks ago to kill my patchy lawn & weeds, and all it has done is turn 3/4 to yellow and the rest looks like it enjoyed the water.

I mixed it at the higher rates as I wanted to kill everything ready for new turf and soil, but looks like I will have to have another crack.

Should I mow the weeds and odd grass really low before applying?

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

No. The weed killer m
    Needs to be sprayed on growing leaves and then not disturbed. If you cut the grass first, you cut down the potential contact points for the spray.

Something_Wrong likes this.
  6. Something_Wrong

The lawn had not been mowed in 6 weeks, when I first tried 2 weeks ago though by hacking it up that it would absor it better. Oh Well

I have a 1ltr bottle of round up, will give that a crack tomorrow and see if that has a better effect.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The active ingredient the same for both these products (zero & roundup) so you’ll get the same results. It’s pretty common to have to spray more than once.

8. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Roundup wont work if it's been dry. Grass/weeds need to be actively growing to take in the chemical.

9. Something_Wrong

Well gave it another dose today first up in the morning.

I did water the lawn 2 days ago as I had to drain the pool level a little. Pool doesn’t have chemicals yet as it’s brand new. So hopefully it will work better this time round.

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We find CATs a much more effective and safer proposition than burnoffs

upload_2019-8-19_9-58-28.jpeg

The Y-man

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How do you make a CAT go "woof"?

Spray it with Kerosene and light a match.

13. Something_Wrong

3 days later looking a lot more dead after 2nd dose,

when would I give it a good water to naturalize the weed killer and do I just mow the weeds real low and rake them up.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Follow the instructions on the bottle! Usually leave undisturbed for 7 days from memory...

15. Zizi

Zizi Well-Known Member

During winter it can take 10-12 days but by then they should be totally dead. I have never watered weeds that I have been getting rid of. Just leave them dry. Never failed yet.

16. Something_Wrong

New Turf laid a week ago along with top soil, looks so much better than the waste land it has been for the last 18mths of Reno's and pool building.

17. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

I have this issue constantly, we have about 100 metres of blackberry's growing from land next door. I used Yates Tree & Blackberry Killer | Yates Gardening

Elected to do it myself as the local blackberry guy was a rip off and we were able to poison then cut with a hedge trimmer and burn off all the trees. Looks better now I assure you.

Its small and from memory makes 16 litres, it works but is time consuming naturally.

Otherwise for normal weeds I use the $10 a litre weed killer sold at bunnings. The quality is not as good as the older brands sold at bunnings which would quicker and be more effective than the current label.

Cheers Ivan

18. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

drill 2 to 3 holes on the tree, after you have cut it, each hole at least 2-3cm wide, pour roundup and "fill the hole", keep the hole filled for 1-2 hour, let it soak in, they will never come back to life.

wear groves and wash your hands afterwards.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia