QLD Keperra

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Samj, 28th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

We have been looking for a 4 bed, 2 bath properties with 600sqm lands in Keperra for ~$550K. We are looking for a house to live in. We work in the city and kid is going to a school nearby the city. I am fairly new to this domain just wondering what you experts think about buying a house in Keperra (in terms of capital gain, traffic and community)?

2. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I'm not a not an expert.

Keperra is a good suburb on the Northside. I think it has moved up in price a fair bit now though. Look at Arana Hills too for low set brick houses. Keperra has a lot of the old wooden Queenslander houses which makes it look cheep in comparison.

3. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Purchased a house there last year. Definitely moved but still some value in my optinion. Have spent a few months up there renovating and liked the feel of the suburb. Neighbours were all friendly and liked living there. Train line close by.

4. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

I dont think u will go wrong with Keperra. Its a good suburb on the train line rather than bus (my preference is train always). Recently visited keperra last week. I liked it but i did stretch my budget a bit and bought in Mitchelton. Good luck with your purchase.

simplevalues, Whitecat and Samj like this.
  5. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

6. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Possibly a reference to public housing. I know some has been sold off- not sure what remains. Suggest you get on the ground- or at least start calling local agents.

7. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I would also check out Ferny Hills and Ferny Grove. I have some around there.

Sackie and ndpjai like this.
  8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

My previous BA was busy buying in keparra and Arana hills

Michelton moved a fair bit when I was looking and ended up getting priced out of the area for what I was looking for

9. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure what is "Public housing". I have heard public housing in Keperra but not quite sure what and where it is. In that area all the houses are quite good and all most all of them are over ~$500k. If I call a local selling agent will they give me more information about the area?

Thanks!

10. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I have a friend that lives in that area - Cobalt St specifically.
    She loves living there and has often said how great the whole area is. She works in the city.

Samj likes this.
  11. Nightowl

Nightowl Well-Known Member

I don't know the area, but "Public housing" is housing provided by the government, for low income individuals/ families. For some investors, this makes an area less attractive, for some, it doesn't make any difference. Some areas, such as Minto, Claymore in NSW which have a high proportion of public housing, have a stigma attached to them. But Glebe, near the city of Sydney, has a mix of public housing and privately owned homes and is highly sought after. It hasn't affected the value of the suburb, IMO

Samj and Touristy like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That is the newer, nice brick estate area. The part closest to Samford Rd was the Drive In when I was younger. Generally speaking Housing Comm is on the northern side of Samford Rd. However iirc the older HC and War Service (as in post ww2) part is pretty decent too. A few properties near the creek, golf course and train line are very low-lying, not many.

Keperra is Brisbane LGA, Ferny Grove, Ferny Hills and Arana Hills are all Moreton Bay RC and some of their residents have been pushing to become Brisbane. They are very similar suburbs and demographics.

13. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

14. dan2101

Anyone know when the Bunnings starts construction?

15. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

16. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

You won't go wrong with Keperra. When Brisbane moves Keperra will move.

17. dan2101

Thanks @Samj

I've seen that article before but haven't really heard anything since so wondering what the go is!?

18. Noobert

Noobert Well-Known Member

Looking in Keperra too for an IP but for below 500.

API mag November issue had Keperra with the lowest average days on market (22 days) after Dutton park so it looks like it would be a tough gig to land something!

Ferny hills is up there as well..

Attached Files:

19. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Keperra has been an investors favorite for years.
    Check out somersoft
    Just like Frankston or logan there's always a keperra thread.
    So makes me wonder whether you might be better looking elsewhere. If it is such a value proposition then why is it consistently on the radar for investors through cycle after cycle? wouldn't you want to look for something it is undervalued and then actually catches up or exceeds rather than something is a forever investors favourite because it's cheaper than surrounds?
    Having said that keppera it is quite a nice suburb if you get close to the train makes a lot of sense I'm not trying to be negative about Keperra I just get the feeling there will be another Keperra thread in the future with out of Town investors discussing just like there will be another Logan thread and another Frankston thread.

Noobert likes this.
  20. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I have a property in Keperra and the agent I bought it off rang me up yesterday asking me if I wanted to sell it for 100k more than I paid a year and a half ago. He said the Keperra market is really hot at the moment and properties are selling really quickly. Obviously take with a pinch of salt being an agent but when there is smoke there is usually fire

Tom Rivera, HUGH72 and samiam like this.