NSW Kellyville

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hash_investor, 27th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Kellyville being a large suburb there are so many pockets. Some are closer to station some not so much. But what are the other things locals know that I don't. Can someone comment which one is preferred?

Screenshot_20190627-203956.png

2. MrsNixba

MrsNixba Well-Known Member

Lots and lots of pockets. A quick summary:

Kellyville village - older style homes on larger blocks. You might find a 3/1/1 on 700sqm with original kitchen and bathroom if you're lucky for 850-900k otherwise for $1m+ you'll be paying for someone else's reno or extension.Some 4/2/2 available in the village as well.

Duncraig - one of the first Mcmansion estates. Insanely narrow houses, usually 4/2/2 on 450sqm, poorly built cheap pieces of crap. 20+ year old homes.

Marella Ave estate - opposite Duncraig, slightly better, good proximity to Bernie Mullane, larger blocks and nicer houses but still not great. 15-20 year old homes.

Beaumont Hills - which I've included coz it's ex Kellyville. Is considered the nicer of the older part. 15-20 year old homes, can find 4/2/2 or even 5/3/3 here for 1.2-1.3m.

North Kellyville - a mish mash of apartments, duplexes, villas and homes. It's a mess - too many hands in the pie with different developers developing different 5 acre parcels. It's cheap though - you can get a 4/2/2 on a 550sqm block brand spanking new for under 1.1m. Don't get ripped off here though as agents will try to use the new stock at Fairway as a comparable for the unknowing buyer and just.. no.

Fairway Dr estate, incl surrounding Balmoral (but not the older stuff near Homeworld) - this is where your good stock is. 700sqm blocks with 50+sq homes and triple garages (no triple garages allowed at North Kellyville) so this is your premium stock. Almost fetching Bella Vista prices 1.8m-2.2m for a 5/3/3 on 700sqm.

That's a quick summary. I'm a local and have lived here my whole life - all the North Kellyville and Duncraig land was owned by people I know who sold off to developers. Not a single 'old local' has bought back in to either of those estates - they are all families that have moved into the area from other areas. The true locals have moved on to Kenthurst/Annangrove so Kellyville is now a melting pot of people from every profession from everywhere converging on the one space. Pick a pocket you like and go for gold - but don't let on you're from out of area or they will use the wrong pocket's comparables to rip you off! My SIL bought a block in North Kellyville a few years ago and was told it'll be worth 1.6 after she builds... yeah back then in Fairway maybe. Her place is lucky to be worth 950k. She spent 750k on the land and 600k on the build and thought she got a bargain. Until now.

Kellyville requires lots of homework if you are not a local. Another house in Beaumont Hills recently sold for 1.8 coz the buyers were convinced it was a bargain compared to Fairway comparables. It was worth max 1.4.

Brickbybrick, Aussiecoin, Esh and 3 others like this.
  3. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Pockets within pockets too. There's some very nice pockets within Duncraig estate and some other average pockets. Also some average pockets in Beaumont Hill and some others are very nice.

I like the new areas between fairway Dr and memorial far enough away from the units in Norwest but still not too far from the station.

4. hash_investor

Thanks @MrsNixba for the detailed overview of the area. What do you think about this pocket?

Google Maps

5. MrsNixba

MrsNixba Well-Known Member

There are a few pockets within that image - which parts are you looking at specifically? You can PM me if you don't want to say on here.

The streets surrounding OLOR are the village to one side (Greenwood, Tremain etc) and newer to the other side (Redden, Friendship, Jupiter, Taringa etc). Value in the village depends on condition and what improvements have been made. As for the newer area (early 2000s), you can get decently large homes on decently large blocks. A new batch of blocks have just become available as the last remaining 5 acre lot just got subdivided - if this is what you are looking at, I wouldn't bother because the age discrepancy between the houses will be odd. Almost anything else in that pocket is good. If you're talking about the other side of Windsor Rd where Homeworld is, that's got some serious pockets within pockets so I'll need more info there.

And yes as said above there are pockets within pockets, I just gave you a starting point. Happy to help out more if you want to PM me specific streets or houses (I'm not looking to buy in Kellyville atm so I won't steal your awesome finds haha)

6. fwmonger

fwmonger Active Member

Well, I have to disagree with this. Duncraig is one of the better pockets of Kellyville, in my opinion. I know two people living in Duncraig - a mate and my SIL and I have been looking to buy in Kellyville / Beaumont Hills / Rouse Hill for a couple of months now. So far, the houses I have viewed in Duncraig are solid. I got the building and pest inspection done on two of them (I didn't win them at auction) and the feedback was very positive. I don't usually get building inspections done before the auction but after reading this thread I wanted to get it done for houses in Duncraig. I also found two different building inspectors who are local to the area. I had asked them to be extra investigative/detailed, thanks to this thread. The feedback I got from both the inspections was that the build was one of the best they have seen in Kellyville.

So, I think there are badly built houses in every estate and there are good houses in every estate. You cannot generalise at all.

As far as the block sizes go, yes, you're right, most blocks are around 450m2. My SIL lives in a less than 450m2 block and my friend on a more than 500m2 block. But the houses are well designed that they feel spacious with good street setbacks and backyards. Compared to the new developments we are seeing in the fringes of Sydney metropolitan area, I would say 450m2 is rather big!

Now, why I said Duncraig was one of the best is that it is greener and leafier than other pockets. I haven't seen all the pockets, I have to admit. It is also one of the best pockets as far as public transportation goes. Buses on Green road take you to Hills Showground or Castle Hill or Norwest metro stations or even directly to the City if you like to take the bus all the way. The estate is also very close to Castle Hill.

Esh likes this.
  7. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Hi guys,

Hoping some of the locals can shed some light on whether there usually is available parking at the Kellyville metro station on mornings when catching the metro to the city or does one need to come in early to be sure to get a spot?

@MrsNixba @fwmonger @Shady

Thanks guys

8. hash_investor

You need to come in early

9. DreamingFI

DreamingFI Member

Hi guys. Since this post is already talking about Kellyville, I would like to ask some opinions/suggestions about units in that area. What do you think about units along the Hezlett road/Winning street (the north village in particular as I see quite a few on sale currently)?
    A 2B+2B is costing around 600-650 mark. Do you think its worth buying as a PPOR.

I have no much idea about that area so seeking some advise here.

10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Lots of supply, lots empty and lots more being built.

11. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

If you are buying for OO use I think it's not too bad. During 2017 I had a valuation done for one of my customer that bought at winning St a 2bed unit that came back at $720k. He bought that unit in 2015 for $550k. Obviously those days are gone and no one knows how quickly will the property market turn again and with what kind of scale.

12. DreamingFI

DreamingFI Member

Thanks twobobsworth & sumterrence

Any idea how is the build quality of units in general that area? North village on Hezlett was developed by Diecorp I guess. I started looking at units in norwest and along balmoral road near bella vista metro and they are too pricey (750+ for 2 bedder) and thus shifted focus to north kellyville. Confused now if the units in that area are worth buying or not

13. MammaMia

MammaMia Member

Looks like a ghetto there and getting uglier by the day. I honestly don't see the value there? Like mentioned earlier there is so much more land around. Purely looking at units, I think the one's along Balmoral road may be better in the long run? (At least closer to the metro).

14. DreamingFI

DreamingFI Member

Thanks MammaMia.

I went for an inspection in North Kellyville for one of the units on Hezlett road. Well I did not quite like the unit (630k for a 3 bedder was bit attractive) but wasn’t impressed by the area either. It was very busy on the main road around ALDI, though the streets with houses may b quieter. I might have to increase the budget a little and shift focus towards the Balmoral side instead

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia