NSW Kellyville vs The Ponds

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MicroMina, 21st Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

For a PPOR, would you buy in Kellyville for 1.35m or The Ponds for 1.2m?

1. Kellyville for 1.35m

61.9%
  2. The Ponds for 1.2m

38.1%
  1. MicroMina

MicroMina Member

Looking to buy PPOR in northwest Sydney.

These are the requirements in what I'm looking for:

- walking distance (<20min) to the NW metro
    - land > 450m2
    - not a project home
    - reasonably close to the M7/M2

Looking to spend max 1.35m.

It seems both Kellyville and The Ponds fit the bill so here's my thinking on them

The Ponds concerns:
    - seems overpriced (?) and thus will not hold value like Kellyville
    - blacktown council
    - all shiny homes, some project homes which means subpar quality

Kellyville concerns:
    - next to the metro means I'll be buying near Samantha Riley and it seems that's not very desirable (?) due to being away from the heart of Kellyville and the more established pockets.
    - more expensive than The Ponds.

The nice thing about The Ponds is the nicer area feel: you can be next to the nice lake and at the same time in close proximity to Tallawong station.

I like Kellyville for being in the Hills and being a tad closer to M7/M2 and Castle Hill, etc...

I could really use some advice from the experts around here. Can anyone share some advice on tips on the above? Anything I'm missing between these two? Would love to hear from locals too.

2. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Hi Romina, any particular attachment to NW? You'd find some good value closer to the city in your price range.

3. MicroMina

MicroMina Member

It seems that's one of the nicest places to live in terms of: nice and quiet, safe, nice parks around, reasonably new so houses are not tired and old etc.. What areas are you thinking of Andy?

4. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I have family in that area and they moved there for the schools etc, I can see the attraction.

We're 10kms south of the city, some really undervalued pockets around here considering they are within 30mins train ride or drive from the city. We've got brighton le sands beach pretty close (I know, not a great "beach"), Marrickvile/Newtown etc a hop away, if that's your scene.

5. MicroMina

MicroMina Member

Yeah I'm after family living so I wouldn't live in newtown if I were paid to! Not worried about schools right now but yes as you said, it definitely makes it desirable for other purcharsers or renters.

6. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

How many bedroom do you need?

Given you have 1.35m to play with I would look at duplex or older house at Cherrybrook. Much closer to city and also on the metro line, not to mention excellent schools. Most lands at Northwest are tiny anyway so you may as well live closer given your budget. Of course if you want a brand new house it is a different story.

7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Between Kellyville/Rouse Hill vs The Ponds, Kellyville prices will always be higher due to different councils.

Important to aim for a quiet street.

We have lived Castle Hill, Baulko, Cherrybrook, Carlingford, Crestwood and currently in Kellyville.

If we had our time again would probably go for older home in Castle Hill or Glenhaven.

Each to their own.

8. MicroMina

MicroMina Member

Not necessarily after brand new, but hopefully 10-20 years old. Don't mind if it needs some renos. I will have a closer look at Cherrybrook though, thank you.

Thanks for that. Why do you prefer older home in Castle Hill to newer in Kellyville? I understand CH is more affluent, but I actually prefer KV because it seems less busy and there's nicer shopping options (little villages, etc..) rather than Castle Towers which tends to be very busy.

9. There

There Well-Known Member

For 1.35 mil, I’d rather buy in Castle Hill/ Glenhaven/Cherrybrook even if that means an older house or duplex. Much better schools, family friendly, larger lands and close to the city.

10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Larger land size. Zoning for Castle Hill High. Newer houses will still need bathrooms and kitchens in a few years. I would be looking at the back end of Crane Road or areas off Tuckwell Road.

Although if you're not tied to the area head towards the water as others have suggested.

11. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Look for Kellyville pockets closer to CH. You will be amazed how good that pocket is. It is less than 20 mins to metro on bus and other amenities are much better.

12. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

If you like smaller shopping centres, then you would love Cherrybrook Village. I prefer going there than Castle Towers.

13. MicroMina

MicroMina Member

Thank you for the ideas folks. I'll be looking at these areas as well including Cherrybrook.

I've studied your thread about Kellyville pockets very well btw! I would go there (or North Kellyville even) but what concerns me is: getting far from the metro usually means more time to get to the city.

14. KFC_8

KFC_8 Active Member

Have you thought about the North Rocks area? It seems to meet a lot of your requirements and could come in below budget.

15. MicroMina

MicroMina Member

I haven't really looked at that area at all. Where would be the best place to start?

16. KFC_8

KFC_8 Active Member

Anywhere close enough to the M2 bus routes will suit your requirements. There are some good sized blocks there.

I have been eyeing off that area for a while but it really doesn't get the publicity of the suburbs around it. I am really not sure why?

But I am sure some of the people on this forum may know a little more about it.

17. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi KFC, what kind of schools service that area?

18. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

I live in between those suburbs.

Nearly 90% of the homes in The Ponds are project homes, it is a nice and new area hence the premium. Project homes can have top quality finishes as well and prices will reflect it.

I mean any new area, majority if the builds are project homes rather then custom homes, that goes for Kellyville and North Kellyville.

Kellyville you'll normally pay a bit more sure to it being the Hills District and normally has a 10% premium.

Have you considered Stanhope Gardens ? It's right on the edge of Blacktown and the Hills District and if you're lucky you might snap up a property that's walking distance to the Metro.

19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Perhaps consider Normanhurst and Thornleigh too.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like North Rocks too, very peaceful area, you've got Lake Parramatta nearby, easy fuss free shopping centre, we go there a lot for Aldi :).
    The only part of North Rocks with good transport (imo) though is where Barclay Rd and the M2 meet, which is away from the bulk of North Rocks. People will also drive to the M2 bus stop at Oakes Rd (Carlingford) and get on a bus there.