Keeping yourself fit and success in life

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

How many of you exercise everyday or a few times a week,enough not to be very overweight or huffing and puffing walking up hills.
    I really think exercise has a lot to do with success in life.

I gave away exercise last year, i just told myself i didnt have enough time.
    I was working the nightshift a lot working 12 hour shifts, eat the mcdonalds nearly 3 times a day, sleep all day, back to work , sure i was raking in the dollars but then earlier this year i was huffing and puffing sweating walking to work, i had gained 18 kilos in that 6 months!!!

Now it was partially my fault for not having a work life balance.
    I probaly still could of been exercising and eating right during that time, i suppose it was laziness not tiredness.
    Now the overtime has been cut out i have got back to my normal routine , lost some weight but my skin color has come back i feel energetic, im not waking up with sleep apnea gasping for breath , im not sweating walking, i feel more alive.
    No more mcdonalds, bacon and egg rolls etc etc
    I have been eating only vegetables and fruit and forcing myself to drink 2 litres of water a day.
    Now sometimes i just dont feel like going to the gym so i make myself go ... And sometimes its only 20 minutes on a excercise bike but at least i went and still feel good, maybe its mind over matter but i still done the 20 minutes or so.
    The other day was raining and i felt lazy, but i still went to the gym, i hopped on the exercise bike my legs were aching but i still rode slowly for about 20 minutes and still i feel energetic today much better than what i was 6 months ago .
    Ok i felt a bit silly riding a bike for 20 minutes and leaving knowing there was dtill people in there that arrived before me ., but 20 minutes was enough .

I think exercise has everything to do with being a successful person.
    Some dont agree and of course the richest woman in Australia diesnt exercise and is still successful?
    I guess u dont have to go to the gym, u can walk everywhere etc, my biggest excuse is i didnt have enough time when in reality i did.
    Did i have to eat mcdonalds , my excuse was i didnt have time to cook .

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2015
  2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I usually exercise 5 or 6 days a week. It keeps me sane!

I do it first and foremost of the health benefits - but as a secondary reason, it takes my mind off everything and gives me 40 minutes of alone time.

I'm on a short holiday at the moment - and haven't made my way to the gym....I don't feel good about it :-(

Cheers

Jamie

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Successful in business, yes - but successful in life? Doubtful....

I also exercise 5 times a week - and it's my 'mine shaft canary'. Exercise is the first thing to go when I'm dropping the ball, so I know if I start making excuses why I don't need to get up and run that I'm on a slippery slope.

Beelzebub and 380 like this.
  4. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Whilst I don't think exercise directly is the secret to a successful life, I think balance of life including exercise and well being of one's self is conducive to a more successful life.

Note. I exercise between 20-40+ hours per week which is typically a lot and I'm nowhere near as successful as others on here.

pinkboy

Hodor likes this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Exercise minimum 3 times a week, swimming and a lot of walks with the dog.
    I need it to keep sane during the weekdays. No exercise on the day = cranky and agitated. During my uni year I used to go to the gym and run on treadmill for 1.5 hours everyday :rolleyes:

I think exercise = success has a lot to do with discipline.

freyja likes this.
  6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

well said!

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

With the Lady from WA,they can do what ever they want because they can,,and it's easier just to learn to fast then diet,or drink a bottle of stout each day,and walk 5 klm's..

8. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I agree with EN710 - it's probably more about the personal focus and discipline that makes people successful. If you're naturally determined and focused, you're more likely to be successful in range of aspects of life, including exercise and financial achievement.

Personally, I run and do yoga 3-4 times a week (on a good week ;)) but the biggest difference to my health is my morning green smoothie. I recommend anyone interested in super charging their health start with green smoothies!

EN710 and Redom like this.
  9. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I do Pilates twice a week and go to the gym 4 days a week, weight training, etc and using the walker. I have done this for about 20 years now. I don't even think about it, its just the automatic thing to do first thing in the morning now. When I was working it was after work each night, no matter what time I finished. Even when I travel I make sure I use the hotel gym and walk a lot. I do it to keep my mind and body active, as you age its so important.

Hodor likes this.
  10. Darlinghurst Boy

Omg you exercise 40+ hours a week ? Is that really work life balance?
    How do you fit in the time?;)

Then again you could be a professional athlete or personal trainer?:D

11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm not as much a freak as Pinkboy, but did qualify for the 2014 World Amateur Road Cycling Championships in Slovenia. I was on the continent, but chickened out.

Now, I'm doing 10-12 hours a week on the bike. As an ultra-endurance mountain biker, this simply isn't enough to be competitive, but I can't justify the family and work sacrifice to do more.

S.T, mrdobalina and 158 like this.
  12. 158

158 Well-Known Member

When I'm training full time for something, 40hrs is a must. You just fit everything else around it. When I'm not training full time for something, that's when I focus more on family and work etc.

pinkboy

Bran likes this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The other way around also work. Getting yourself to be discipline in one aspect (like exercise) usually affect your discipline on other things.

What's the recipe for smoothie?

14. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

My favourite at the moment:

Heaps of baby spinach (and/or kale)
    An apple (or pear/kiwifruit)
    Half an avocado
    a bit of lemon
    A bit of fresh ginger
    Water
    Ice

Optional: Chia seeds, a few almonds

Blend in a blender until smooth. Enjoy!

Other fruits I like in smoothies are: rockmelon, pineapple,
    Celery goes well too but does have a slight after taste.

EN710 likes this.
  15. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

With me it's an addiction to making forward progress.

I am in the gym monday through to friday before the kids and wife get up.

It's my time to do what I do best, challenging myself to improve physically and be mentally tougher.

"Pain is good", I had a trainer once who laughed as he smashed us...that was his mantra.

I

Bran likes this.
  16. 158

158 Well-Known Member

This is how I train. My pseudo name is 'NegaCoach' (negative coaching) to all my cycling buddies.

"NegaCoach brings out the best in you through negative reinforcement, ridicule, humiliation, emotional torment and harsh criticism".

New business venture......

pinkboy

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2015
    Bran likes this.
  17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ha ha @pinkboy

This is my style too

18. Darlinghurst Boy

I dont think u need to train hard unless you are young .

I think what puts off guys and girls middleaged and over is the expectation they need to train hard as everyone else in the gym.

Im a bigger guy and sure i could easily lift more than i do but usually i just use 10kg barbell to exercise sometimes i might go higher but rsally i dont care what anyone else thinks.
    My goals are just to maintain fitness and if you want to be fit then you dont need to go to extremes unless your young or doing bodybuilding.

19. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I am pretty active and have a rolling goal to remain as "fit and healthy as ever".

Applies not only to my body, but my mind.

20. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Argentine Tango, Wednesday night, Starting yoga Monday night. Pretty hopeless at both, but like Darlinghurst boy, I still get a benefit!
    8k walk through farmland once a month if I am there, and the hotel gym pool if I'm in a posh enough place.. Downfall is that I love eating! I try all the regional specialties, and I planted some potatoes, which are due for digging up, bit I will eat them slathered in mayonaise.. oh making me hungry just thinking about it!