keeping neighbours onside with planned development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 3rd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Hi

Last Yr My neighbours agreed & we got council permission to remove a large tree situated right on our boundary fence lines.
    I paid for the considerable cost of this removal, and made mention to the neighbours that this would add value to both our properties for any future development potential. I did mention to them that I would look at development potential over the next couple of years.

I have just submitted an application to council for 4 townhouses (to replace a single dwelling rental property).

I don't live at this property, but am wondering if I should door knock or send the neighbour a letter that I have brought forward my intentions to develop and put in an application rather than wait until council advises them as much in the coming months.

Wondering if I can 'butter them up' so to speak, angles to take with this, so to ensure I keep them onside and no objections prior to getting a planning permit etc

2. Mike Sargeant

Mike Sargeant Active Member

if you've got an established good relationship with the neighbour I would talk to them. He'll appreciate you at least did that and most councils do encourage you to anyway. You've then opened a conversation to go back and talk any issue out if they choose to object later. The fact they agreed to the tree removal would suggest they weren't ignorant or closed to idea something like this could happen. Just make sure you're ready with answers if the questions start and you can artilculate how the design response looks after them without actually showing plans if possible.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A developer friend says to see neighbours first. Take a plan and explain it so you can put their mind at rest rather than have them interpret the plan themselves.

We didn't door knock but did drop notes into adjoining letterboxes with our number for any questions. We still had objections but objections don't mean you won't get it through. And ours was not an automatic "yes" either. Council had to assess the application.

4. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Is there greater potential if their block was included in the development ? Might be worth exploring all angles.

beachgurl and LukeR like this.
  5. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

I like your thinking

dropping a letter in neighbours letterbox today

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Go and speak to your neighbour. Listen to any concerns and see if you can address them before lodging the application.

Sometimes little things can make a difference.

My mum had a development planned behind her. Her main concern was the inclusion of a solid fence which would block winter sunlight from her back garden as mum was a keen gardener. Developer called in to see mum, she voiced her concerns. He suggested instead of a solid timber paling fence the palings could be spaced to allow sun through.

Win, win. Mum got her sunlight, cheaper fence for the developer. All sorted in less than 30 minutes, no objection from mum.
    Marg

7. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about it. I always think its best to talk to neighbours and be open. But when i did a two lot sub with our ppor both neighbours heavily objected. One of the neighbours was invited to our wedding (until the objections). Everything we had said and shown them was used for ammo. We got it through and now live there and everything has gone back to normal but i wished we hadnt of been so open.