Kebab shops

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 10th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Do u think theres much profit in selling kebabs?

I have been watching Kebab Kings on SBS .. And im used to dealing with drunks as a former taxi driver so it doesnt worry me but really you have to be close to nightclub areas .

2. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Go and sit in Brothers Kebabs at Rockdale any time of the day or night and watch the traffic... you'll get your answer pretty quickly.

3. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Apparently the worst fast food you can possibly eat (I like them though).
    Prefer lean spicy kebabs rather than bland bloaters. Maybe that's a marketing angle.. healthy, tasty fast kebabs.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Greek food is better.
    Hard to find a pork kebab.

Phantom likes this.
  5. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Yes there is profit. If you keep things fresh and maintain quality controls, you can do well from it. But comes with downsides too obviously. Hours, late night boozers, difficulty in finding staff because of hours then having to pay increased rate because of the hours. Cramped working environment, risk of robbery once again due to hours, losing part of daylight because you're sleeping during normal hours. Just my thoughts.

6. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I know someone who has one in a food court. Says that ever since healthy eating has become the new thing he's losing business. People don't want kebabs like they used to.

7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I'd say having one of these in a food court is a disadvantage. If it's a decent size food court with 20 other retailers, your competition is huge. Throw the healthy eating craze into it and kebabs are probably the last choice for most. The niche that kebab joints have is the convenience of late night food. Usually when everything else is closed. Most people would know it's not particularly healthy but when that's all there is. ..oh well kebabs it is...

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We were thinking about having one this weekend. Good Armenian joint in Willoughby.

As a retailer there's nothing stopping you churning out late night stodge to drunken punters but serving the healthier salads, kibbe, felafel etc during the day. Why aim for a 8 hour window when you can effectively vary the menu to suit throughout the day.

sanj and 158 like this.
  9. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

The problem with kebabs or whatever is they are not the only "late night food" open anymore. So many fast food outlets are 24/7 now MacDonald, HJ, and all of the petrol stations that have fast food in them that take away from the small kebab shop.

10. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

im always scratching my head as to why these kebabas are nutritionally so bad

youve got the bread, which isnt fried or sugared

veges

garlic sauce which is essentially greek yoghurt
    meat which isnt deep fried (sure they use ***** bits but if you decided to use your own roast chicken or lean beef, it should be a super food!

Ben_j likes this.
  11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Completely agree. Food from that region often suffers from the public perception that it's unhealthy, just like indian food, when in actual case the "real" stuff is often both extremely tasty and healthy.

Lebaneae/Turkish food isnt all greasy kebabs and pride, just like indian food isnt all butter chicken and vindaloo.

12. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Lebanese charcoal chicken is all the rage these days.

13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

There's this one in Auburn...yummy.
    Vindaloo is too hot for me but hard to resist!

14. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

FTFY

15. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

El Jannah is overhyped, they are discretely watering down the garlic sauce.

16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I have a bogan mate, good bloke, bit if a racist, hates arabs etc... But really likes the food "from dem towel heads" and wants to start his own business.

Reckons he is in talks with El Jannah to open a franchise.

Daniel007 likes this.
  17. sanj

Sounds like a good bloke :rolleyes:

18. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

He's good value. haha

19. sanj

The scary thing is I know exactly what u mean. One of my closest mates is from a bit of a rough/bogan predominantly wasp area (kwinana), im godfather to his son. He isn't the slightest bit racist at all but often im the only brown person at his family dos and some of the extended family are like your mate. Good people generally and great company but say some horrifically ignorant stuff. I had one ranting to me about immigrants once without the slightest hint of irony that I am one and the girl he was seeing was one, i had to laugh.

I suspect a lot of it is more ignorance than malice though.

bob shovel and Biz like this.
  20. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Of course. This guy carries on like he is true blue with aussie flags etc but his dad is Maltese!!! He's not totally against arabs, just doesn't like the ones who don't integrate into society, doesn't like anything Halal etc. Anyway...knowing what he is like when he told me he wants to buy into an arab chicken shop I just found it hilarious!

sanj likes this.