QLD Kallangur 2016

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Charlotte79, 2nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlotte79

Charlotte79 New Member

A newbie to the forum. Any thoughts and feedback on Kallangur?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I like it.
    Close to the rail line. Some decent yields around and prices seem reasonable

3. Whishy

Whishy Well-Known Member

I like it. Near north lakes, new train station(s), and a university being built nearby.

Gateway upgrade nearby starting next year in which will put $1+ billion into the area.

It does have everything thats needed. Market will wake up to that

JAW likes this.
  4. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

As long as you stay away from the freeway and less desirable street locations you should do ok.

733 likes this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

A little far out for my liking, but prices seem to be around the previous peak.
    Probably some growth to occur there, just a matter of when.
    How did you come to pick Kallangur?

6. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

Like it a lot, we got something there last year, in Dakabin (next door to Kallangur). Nice proposed infrastructure, great commercial district across the freeway in North Lakes, linked by the convenient and newly finished Alma Rd overpass.
    Still, like any purchase, it would have to match your strategy and end goals, inner ring CBD v's outer rings (not everyone likes 35km out from the capital city), new v's old, cap gain and +ve or -ve cashflow and the cost to hold calculations, house v's town house v's units/apartments v's developments v's OTP, your desired holding periods, do you have a growth strategy or ?? etc etc etc the list goes on and only you know where your at and where you want to be. :eek::D:p

Brendan Colley likes this.
  7. bob shovel

The pub and the pub! :D

Bran and Investig8 like this.
  8. seanbrissy

seanbrissy Well-Known Member

Kallangur Median house price $355000
    Annual growth: 2.9%
    Average annual growth: 3.7%
    Yield 5.57%

Kallangur has always been an average performer, as mentioned before there is a new uni being built and new rail line coming online shortly, this should translate into some short-medium term capital growth.

I will mention a few points on Kallangur:

• Has always and still suffers from a bad stigma similar to Logan and Ipswich
    • It's 24km to the CBD however is only serviced by the Gateway, and the commute is much longer comparable to a southern suburb such as Logan Central (23km) you do have Gympie road however this only services local traffic. New train line and Gateway upgrade should alleviate some pressure.
    • Is not serviced by any major shopping centers, nearest are North Lakes or Strathpine
    • A lot of houses are small low set cottage types, hard to add any value or increase yield
    • Best pocket is North of Anzac Avenue closest to North Lakes, nice high sets well looked after.
    As mentioned with the infrastructure upgrades to the area, it will probably perform OK, however if I was investing 350k I'd look to other areas.

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2015
    MWI, New2prop, Tekoz and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Invest $350k n other areas in the North or SE QLD?

Tekoz likes this.
  10. bob shovel

Looking atproperties on re.come.au Logan vs kal there is a significant difference in the property quality and socio economic feel to the areas. I would think kal has more owner occupiers by the appearance of gardens and street appeal.
    Yields may be the thing drawing punters to Logan but once loan yields drop due to property val increasing kal will start taking off.

As a Syd comparison I'd think it's similar to comparing possibly Mt druitt and Penrith. Penrith started moving later that the dru but has seen much better cg being more desirable area

11. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I used to be a real estate agent, but have since left the business. I still have many great contacts in the Moreton Bay region, and yes, Kallangur is set to really boom once the rail line, and more specifically, the university is complete in 2020. With Northlakes just a 5 minute drive down Anzac avenue, the motorway on the doorstep, the new Moreton bay rail link, and university, the suburb really will be set to be the next hotspot. It's an unspoken secret, but in 5 years time the very best area will be the region in the South Western end of Kallangur, which will be on the doorstep to the new uni and railway line. Once the Uni is complete, expect prices to skyrocket. Hope that helps.

Nate Hanacker and WattleIdo like this.
  12. Zelph

Zelph Member

What about north lakes vs Kallangur?

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

North lakes is definitely viewed as the more premium suburb, as it is relatively new and has a lot of development going on at the moment, including a new cinema and IKEA. That being said, property prices have exploded over the past 5 years there, and are now beginning to slow down. One of the key issues with Northlakes is that it is comprised of many tightly packed estates, with very narrow roads, at premium prices. Northlakes would be ideal for a property to live in long term or to retire in, but expect to pay relatively high prices for not much.

For a cheap investment property, with strong potential for high capital gains in the mid to long term ( towards and beyond 2020), the South West end of Kallangur is in an absolutely ideal position. Houses on decent sized blocks (600m +) can still be found for just over $300k, which is incredible value.

Ultimately, if I was looking for a nice property to live in for the long term, and was happy to pay a high premium, I would choose Northlakes. But if I wanted to make money via a cheap investment property in an area with high CG potential, I would be looking at South West Kallangur, ideally within walking distance to the proposed university precinct / new train station. Hope this helps.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hi Jaw. When you say south west Kallangur, do you mean around Wattle St, west of Gympie Rd?

15. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

16. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Wow at page 10 of that report... "Even Perth has university campuses north side and south side. So brutal for us to be that city they use for the "even"... and then they hit us again on page 14.

Cheers for the information, I'm another looking in this area from interstate :)

pommy and Mr Dabolina like this.
  17. Zelph

Zelph Member

Very interesting JAW. This campus looks like it will be in Petrie so Petrie will be heavily affected as well as well as Strathpine. Would these be better options than South West Kallangur?

Tekoz likes this.
  18. Zelph

Zelph Member

And it also states Brisbane will the shock city for demographics by 2050 yet the report has Perth surpassing Brisbane by a fair bit in population.

19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I'd be looking at Petrie. Bigger blocks & similar train access

Tekoz and 733 like this.
  20. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

I don't think using Perth is unfair to be true, we're quite fairly renowned for being a bit backwards. The WA standing for Wait Awhile is absolutely fair.

I also don't think many truly believe those stats on Perth, they're messed up badly by the mining boom, based on our current stats and trends there is no chance we grow that much.

WattleIdo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.