QLD Kallangur 2019

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JAW, 3rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure you cannot have a GF on separate tenancies in BCC, MCC you can.

If your an owner and you want to chuck someone in your GF out the back then that's completely fine, IE flatmates.com.au

2. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

So if you have a house in MCC with a granny flat you can rent them out separately as well?

3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

That's how I understand it. @Hayden94 would be able to elaborate further?

4. Hayden94

Hayden94 Well-Known Member

Yep spot on, totally fine to rent out separately in MCC. I’m currently building a GF on the back of a house in Clontarf. There’s a tenant in the house at the front and will advertise and rent out the GF separately when complete. They have their own parking and fully separated by a 6ft fence. Each house has their own water and electricity meters but only pay one set of council rates. Total cost will be approx 530k with a rental return of about $650 a week. I believe capital growth may be restricted due to the unique set up but our buyers agent believes it will go up similar to the median.

craigc and Codie like this.
  5. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Is there much demand in Kallangur for GFs, considering that people want to live in bigger places

6. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Once the new Uni is established from next year onwards, I'm sure that those with a well designed block and enough space would be keen to consider it, especially as most students just want somewhere cheap with minimal maintainence.

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  7. Peninsula Property

Peninsula Property Well-Known Member

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Too many apartments are being built near by. They would be cheaper to students.

9. SydneyInvestor

Hi guys, trying to get your input on Kallangur rentals.
    My troubles with my property in Kallangur just keep going. With old tenants not paying the rent and doing a bit damage to property, had to recover money from insurance.
    Tenants secured after that was also not an ideal tenant. A boy friend girl friend staying with another woman friend of theirs with children. Now the couple have split up and new problems have occured up.
    I know these tenants were not ideal to rent the property but I was not getting any good applications. As per my PM, Kallangur is not attracting quality tenants and people living in that suburb are mostly low gentry and thats the reason we are not getting any good tenants. Would like to understand if you all invested in Kallangur are also facing similar issues with not getting good tenants or applications during open homes.
    Also would like to add that location of my property is good with 700m to Kallangur station and also closer to Woolworths and a quiet street. Only drawback is that the size of the rooms is a bit small
    Master bedroom 3.5 x 3.3
    2 bedrooms 3.2 x 2.5
    1 bedroom 2.9 x 2.7
    Though hall is big with 6.2 x 6.2

Could this be such a big factor or Kallangur itself is to be blamed for low quality tenants.
    Thanks!!!!

Greedo likes this.
  10. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Had trouble with the previous tenant in Petrie. Started with the tenant dummying up a fake payment advice for the bond and BA not waiting for the funds to clear before handing over the keys. Ended in a lot of unpaid rent and all his crap left in the house to dispose of. Received a positive judgement at QCAT. Still going through the next step re debt recovery. Prior to that a couple split up, broke the lease early and took a while to get fully paid.

Current tenant great though!

11. SydneyInvestor

Thanks @Greedo , not sure whats up with this area..... I thought gentry was much better this side as compared to Logan etc

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

A few points to consider... What kind of house is it? Does it look appealing? Are there other properties tenants can select that are larger or more appealing?

Those aren't bedrooms - they are closets or storerooms.

Just because a person or a household is on a low income, has no bearing on whether they will be good tenants or not. I assume you bought the house knowing full well that this is a Low Income suburb.

JAW and SydneyInvestor like this.
  13. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

What is the rent bracket for your property? Generally reasonably good renovated house with higher rent keep few away. The area is dominated with tradies and there are good quality tenants too. Once university becomes operational, this will gradually disappear.

JAW and SydneyInvestor like this.
  14. SydneyInvestor

Thanks @Angel , was nt really aware that it is a low income suburb. Was suggested by a BA. Agree that the sizes are a bit small but I wasnt really aware that 3 x 3 is something more appropriate. But saying that I cant do anything to increase bedroom sizes now or if you could pls suggest a solution...
    Do you think thats the only reason for my problem?

15. SydneyInvestor

Thanks @Jana , hoping for same. :)
    Hopefully bedroom size becomes a positive for students to rent the property ...

JAW likes this.
  16. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Buying a property in Kallangur has always been a mid to long term proposition. From next year onwards when the uni opens and the area slowly gentrifies, property values will increase, in turn pushing up rent and moving the less desirables further North where it's cheaper.

The important thing is that anybody looking to buy in the area needs to look at properties south of Anzac ave, as these are the properties that are walking distance to the Uni and train line. I'd steer well clear of any properties North of Anzac ave, especially the North East corner next to the motorway.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Happy to help. Can you PM me the floor plan and address if you dont want to put it up on a public site. Once I see it, I can think about some ideas to make it more appealing or a better market to target. I'm already hoping you can combine two small bedrooms into one larger one.

18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I am not too sure why you bother much about bedroom size. Only one bedroom looks small to me. But that should not be a big issue. Generally house bedrooms are proportion to house GFA. For small floor area houses bedrooms are generally less in size. For me, two bedroom house will attract very less tenants than three with quite low rental demand.

19. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi @SydneyInvestor, I have a property in Kallangur as well. I had some issues a few years ago with a tenant cancelling their lease and leaving without paying the remainder of the rent but changing the PM has done the job for me. The current PM is managing it for more than 2 years now and its been great so far. A couple of tenants left so far after finishing their lease but it has been a smooth transition.

PM me for details. I am based in Sydney as well.

20. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member