QLD Kallangur 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JAW, 2nd Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Just not TOO close to the train line. Those trains are loud even at slow speed.

I'm South of Anzac. I had the same thoughts when I bought.

JAW likes this.
  2. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

Thanks Angel. I'm confident Kallangur will continue to benefit from all that spending. I too was targeting south of Anzac with walking distance to shops/train, right before APRA shut the door on what would have been my last purchase for a few years.

Angel - I'll take a look at the old threads, but what was the long and short of train impact to Kippa-Ring vs surrounding suburbs?

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think we were equally divided. Living in the region for 40 years, i have biases. I used to tell the Southerners that Kippa Ring is a dive and the only place to purchase would be near the hospital. When the station was being built, it was surrounded by very cheap and flimsy townhouses. Yuck. Go as close to the water as possible, I say.

Others believe that people would actually want to live in K'Ring and commute to Brisbane CBD, which I find hard to believe. I still dont think too many people want to commute to Brisbane from out there, though. On the tv this week the state govt was discussing their new trains. Apparently numbers of users on the line is way way below what they predicted.

I suspect that many of the run-down properties we drive past are being land banked and will be developed in the future. The Kippa Ring shopping centre is way overdue for an overhaul.

4. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Yes, I would argue that while the Kipparing train station would have appeal to those City Workers who are literally within walking distance of the station, for the rest of the peninsula, driving across the Hornibrook and parking at Sandgate station or similar is still the preferred choice - its underutilisation on weekdays supports this.

Consider the time it takes to get from Kipparing station to the CBD each day, the cost of the train tickets, and the fact you have the entire Penninsula leaning on 1 train station (6+ suburbs), it's not as practical as thought.

It's a real shame the land put aside for the train line a century ago stopped at Kipparing and didn't go all the way to the waterfront at Redcliffe - I'm sure weekend use of the train line would be improved.

Angel likes this.
  5. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

thanks both. If you wanted walking distance to the train station for an easy commute to town, you'd be much better off being in a suburb closer to town. Kippa-Ring prices would also see you in a much nicer house a few stops back, either way you are not walking to water from both.

I'm still trialing different methods to get to town. So far I have yet to save more than 5 mins by driving to Sandgate from Scarborough. Kippa-Ring to Petrie to hop the express seems hard to beat and ends up being just over an hour door to door.

The express trains from Petrie are a massive plus for the area. If you could walk to the station there your property would deff be a keeper.

JAW likes this.
  6. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

It's always a unique trade-off with train stations, as many people want to be within walking distance to one, but don't want the noise at the same time. Compared to other train stations, Petrie station is primed to be very unique, as it sits midway on the Caboolture line, has the Redcliffe Peninsula line breaking off it, has express trains that run from it to the CBD, and of course will have the Uni Precinct/Mill next to it come 2020.

While parking is still free at Petrie station atm, I strongly suspect that in time Translink will charge for parking at the station given the amount of users/human traffic in the area, whether they be commuters, uni students, or others.

When this no doubt happens, it will be interesting to see if the next station up the road, Kallangur station, charges for parking, especially as right now Petrie station car park is filled by 6:20am on a weekday morning, but Kallangur station always has plenty of available parking.

TapTap likes this.
  7. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Here's a recent article on the underutilisation of the new Peninsula train line.

"Fewer than one-third of 21,000 daily passengers predicted for south-east Queensland's newest train line are actually using the line two years after it opened, TransLink statistics show."

"Robert Dow of rail travel lobby group Rail Back on Track listed five reasons why passengers were not using the rail line as frequently as predicted.

1. Hornibrook’s feeder-bus network to the rail line was perceived as “not the best”;
    2. The rail service had a perception of reliability;
    3. There remained a perception that fares were too expensive;
    4. The trip from Kippa-Ring took 40 minutes; whereas it was 20 minutes from Sandgate;
    5. The timetable did not include peak hour express services."

Source: Fewer than one-third of predicted passengers use new Redcliffe rail

TapTap likes this.
  8. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

9. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

The primary issue with this property is flooding, see Flood mapping for flood maps for all suburbs in Moreton Bay.

Unless you're a property developer with the insight and financial backing to put in substantial drainage and elevation as necessary, much of the land can't be developed on.

Otherwise, it's safe to say it would have sold a long time ago for easily over a million :)

10. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Mexicans hey? Applying Sydney logic to Brisbane. Land, Land , Land!

11. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Uni update:

“Moreton Bay is one of Queensland’s fastest growing regions, but has been the only region of its size in Australia without its own full-service university campus,” Professor Hill said.

“USC Moreton Bay represents an exciting opportunity to harness the region’s potential, and significantly boost educational opportunities for local residents.”

Professor Hill said USC already had a strong connection with Moreton Bay, with more than 1,000 new students from the region starting at the University’s campuses on the Sunshine Coast and Caboolture this year.

He said USC Moreton Bay’s initial undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programs would have an employment focus to ensure benefits flow quickly to the wider community.

Moreton Bay Region Mayor Allan Sutherland said the start of work on the campus was history in the making.

“There’s been a lot of talk about how this project will change our communities, economy and educational outcomes,” he said. “Now I think that excitement will really start to filter through our community as a vision starts to become a reality."

Source: USC Moreton Bay starts to take shape

12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

As Investig8 said, depends on your investment strategy.
    I now only prefer to invest in inner (up to 5kms) or middle rings (6-12Kms), not outer rings in QLD, but that's personal choice or strategy.
    Someone said a good deal comes around every week if you look for it, so what do you want to achieve from investing in Kallangur, what is your investment strategy?

13. Lilyau

Lilyau Member

Hi all,

Can anyone help me understand where the bad streets in Petrie are.
    What areas / streets should be avoided?
    I understood that North West of Petrie is pretty rough, can anyone confirm this is true? and where exactly in North West Petrie?
    Would you buy a 3 bedroom house with 600 sqm land in North West Petrie for $400K? or is this too high for this type of streets?
    Thank you

14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Petrie has a road running through it called Dayboro rd. Generally speaking, the houses to the West of Dayboro road are much nicer than those that are East of Dayboro road.

Getting a 3 bedder around $400k will be much easier on the Eastern side.

15. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Just drove past and it has a under offer sticker in the sign

16. Lilyau

Lilyau Member

Yes I know. What did you think?

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

which property?

18. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Sold for $397k. Not surprising though, this property has great potential.

Source: 16 Lerose Avenue, Kallangur, Qld 4503 - Property Details

tranp10 likes this.
  19. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

That overpriced property sold for a staggering $343k. That's an incredible result for what it represents. If I was the seller, I'd be extremely happy with that result, as there are much better properties for just a bit more in the area. Just 3 years ago you'd be lucky to get high $200's for it.

2 Gemini St, Kallangur, Qld 4503 - Property Details

20. Apollotails

Apollotails New Member

Hi all, first timer here.

Is it too late to snap up an IP in kallangur? I'm looking at a highset older but neat place on a 600sqm block @ 420k.

No flooding, 21m zoning, good condition property. Close walk to Murrumba Downs train station on the south side of Anzac.

No tenants yet, been told I can rent for 380 p.w. That would be a yield of mid to high 4%ish

I am looking at a long term hold strategy and need a place with minimal upkeep (do not live in QLD).

Thoughts?

Many thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.