Just won auction last night - revaluating my broker

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Madium, 16th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Given the above information, would you

1. Fix the loan

2. Keep variable and wait for further drops in cash rate

3. Mix

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Madium

Madium Member

Good morning all,

So I was finally able to secure our first PPOR last night!

Thanks everyone for your assistance and advice on these forums thus far, they really helped us with the auction last night!

I've had a follow-up conversation with the broker in which I had been dealing with at Lendi. While it may be a small and honest mistake, he's missed the current stamp duty concessions in his estimates in Victoria, which has led me this morning to ask if he is the detail-orientated strategist you want on your side when it comes to a mortgage broker.

Am I overthinking it?

For the other mortgage brokers on the forum looking for business, I am happy to hear your thoughts and opinions on the below:

Details:
    First Home, PPOR, 80%LVR on $680k.
    Loan and property under my wife's name (I have other business interests that make a straight forward credit application a nightmare when you include me on the paperwork).

No debt. Current Gross income of $100k (excludes my income for serviceability).

Was considering variable before COVID - but these rates sure are a thought provoker in terms of fixing.

We estimate about $30-50k worth of work needs to be done in the next 5 years (restumping being the most part of those costs.). It could be that we end up extending or rebuilding on the land as the building is a bit on the smaller side on a slanted block of land.

We would need to consider family planning within the next 3 or so years.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Can happen to the best of us.............and would have come out in the wash.

Consideration on loan type needs to take into account more than just rate and repayment type per se. An active debt recycle strategy may land you with an effective variable rate of 1.5 % or less, since one may be able to pay the loan off 10 to 15 years earlier while at the same time broadening the asset base.

ta
    rolf

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you're referring to the 25% stamp duty discount, this isn't appearing in any of the various calculators out there as yet, not even the Victorian Office of State Revenue, the authority that administers stamp duty in Victoria. I don't think the budget has been passed in Vic Parlament yet, so it's not technically active or available (although I'm sure it will be). You're asking the broker to quote you on a discount that they can't guarantee, nor is all the information actually available. Realistically the only info that's been released so far is a very vague press release.

Imagine if a broker did manually reduce 25% from their stamp duty estimate and the government resinded the offer, or if they calculate it incorrectly due to some loophole the government throws in. Would you expect the broker to compensate you? Better to quote the full amount and you get a nice bonus at settlement, rather than under quote.

The only real point that might be made is this hasn't been communicated to you. That's probably a harsh critism given the broker is probably prioretising so many other things in their thought processes and recommendations. It's not an easy job, there's a lot going on that the customer doesn't see and you've suggested that your situation is more complex than it appears. So to be fair, did you actually ask the broker about this?

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2020
  4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Lendi are more 'transactional' than other independent brokers from what I've heard, less future planning, more so assist in what you need right now.
    If you want to take advantage of low fixed rates and have some flexibility why not simply split the loan part variable and part fixed.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Brokers can't advise on stamp duty, so not a big deal. It is just an estimate
    Your conveyancing lawyer will be the one to rely on.

AxeLy, Archaon, MC1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The duty reduction may not be given initially and a later refund could be a issue. The state govt may also issue specific regulations the Commissioner can follow to temporarily defer a shortfall. OSR is generally obliged to follow law as it stands at the time of the dutiable event. Definately one for a solicitor, not a broker, as part of the conveyance journey. State Govt will communicate with them on any such issues as they are impacted with the difficulties

I understand that these measures (50 / 25% duty cut) will be implemented pursuant to a Treasurer's direction, which was given in accordance with the emergency tax relief powers contained in Part 9A of the Taxation Administration Act 1997 (Vic).

AxeLy likes this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Also worth mentioning that whilst Lendi is technically a mortgage broking business, they're a large online business and most of their staff are unlikely to be licensed mortgage brokers, they're probably more comparible to help desk operators following a process. The process might be quite detailed and robust, but Lendi is unlikely to offer strategic lending advice.

It's like going to a restraunt. They can show you the menu and make some suggestions. They can probably tell you about todays specials and indicate portion size depending how hungry you are. You'll then get what you ordered. Just don't go there asking for an overall nutition plan.

AxeLy, Jess Peletier and Archaon like this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't it be more like ordering a Domino's Pizza?

The Y-man

9. Peter_Tersteeg

That would be a purely online lender that primarily interacts with you via their website, and it's probably a bot, not a person.