Just went 95% cash in Super - Share Market Correction

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by sash, 25th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BPhil

BPhil Well-Known Member

True, but the context was market crashes. The minimum withdrawal will crash too! (as an absolute dollar value)

This should not be much of an issue for a couple of decades until minimum withdrawals approach long term market returns, non? ie 4% should be well within the portfolio returns, which you can happily leave compounding away (or do they make you switch off DRP?? I would have thought no, as people will accumulate huge amounts of cash doing nothing).

2. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Be greedy when others are fearful, be fearful when others are greedy.

3. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

A lot less greed floating around now.

pwnitat0r likes this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Patience, all depends on your circumstance.

5. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

I am holding 100% cash and going all in ;)

I want to see the flop, turn and river :cool:

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Dems whats I am waiting for...I reckon....early 2019....

7. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi all

Interesting thread, for those of you that may recognise my username will notice hat I have been less active lately on these forums. This is because property is a long term solution for me and that plan has worked out well and I still manage most of my investments myself.

All of my spare time has been spent trading indices through CFD's on the markets with decisions based on doing my own research and using my own methods. Trading the more popular indices such as the FTSE100, NASDAQ and DOW JONES is like taking money from a baby on a daily basis, it really is that easy.

For those of you that have cashed out of the markets and might be feeling trigger happy to enter them again you should at least consider what "Alex Straker" describes and proposes in this thread, whilst I do not use the method he describes as it is a little less riskier and less aggressive to my way of trading, his way of investing does offer much lower risk than just purchasing direct shares and letting them sit hoping that they go up in value one day.

I don't know Alex Straker, never spoken to him and are not his sales representative but just be mindful that one can invest in the markets with a very low risk appetite should it be done in a correct fashion even in a market that is falling. For those that may have already cashed out and lost 2%, 3% or even 5%, there are way to enter the market with stocks that are looking very positive based on the company itself or the industry that it is in and hedge that investment should it not perform well and walk out with a very minimal loss which should let you sleep easy at night in a bearish market.

I will keep reading the propertychat forums as it is where my heart is, and of course continually monitor this thread but for now must put my cfd trading hat back on and get ready to place my trades for tonight when the US market is open.

Regards,

alicudi

Kassy, Eric Wu, Morgs and 2 others like this.
  8. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Cracker Day today. Even AUD has rebounded.

The next 12 months are going to be so interesting

alicudi likes this.
  9. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

You just lost 5-10% upside for 2019...... (and a lot of volatility trading for the next year if just sitting in cash but not sure you actively trade your super....you shouldn't be).

Yes markets are overpriced....but trying to time the market in your super is an average move.

gman65 likes this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It's each to their own. I always assume investors accept the outcome of their decisions.

In general, I'm all for freedom of choice in these matter but in the back of my mind there is this lingering thought we possibly have been allowed too much choice. Depending on the circumstances choice can occasionally work against you. It has for me with a number of the goofs I've made.

truong, Dean Collins and GentleChief like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Lets see what happens......in 2019....market rallies in Dec....danger zone is Q1 next year

12. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Maybe a case of an inexperienced investor getting too emotional - and then oversharing their information ! ;)

S.T and turk like this.
  13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Accepting the outcome is one thing

Accepting the Response Ability for same ........ most people dont want to know if its negative, and some will even look to transfer the response ability to someone else.

ta
    rolf

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I know. I've encountered the attitude a number of times but I don't think it'll ever be resolved. Most don't seemed to be wired in that manner. Declare it's going to be "set and forget" but then fiddle. I could never be involved with the financial advice profession as I'd likely throttle most of the clients.

Danyool likes this.
  15. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

The good thing is that many of us in the "advice" type industries get to choose who we work with.

You call it fiddle, I call it meddle :)

Its really though when you get "Sure Im ok to invest in shares, but I only want the ones that dont go down". No one EVER says that, but our actions, risk profiling, and habits more often reveal who we really are, versus what we think we are.

Or " I need that done this way", even though its no where near addressing our stated goals now or in the future, and often ignoring basic risk management or tax principles because of no advice sought.

Its just one of many reasons why we go in very hard at the front end to " peel the onion" and loose lots of potential work, because this can be confronting, but also get to the core of our real needs, by busting out various " competing commitments".

ta
    rolf

Kassy and Eric Wu like this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Since late Oct the all ordinaries has dropped from 6000 to 5750 today....I can see more pain over the next 6 months.

I have no regrets going to cash....this correction will be slow and protracted but effective...it reckon we will see low 5000s in the new year....

17. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Just so we can deal with facts - at the time this thread started the XAO was 5759, it rose after that and has now retreated to just below that.

Timing is so crucial in the get out and get back in decisions - sometimes missing out by a few days makes all the difference. My super is around 30% cash and will most likely stay in that range.

Danyool, willy1111 and Brady like this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Ah...denial the longest river in the world....first Sydney property...now the share market....... hilarious indeed.

19. truong

truong Well-Known Member

This isn’t a competition and you shouldn’t be too defensive :). You have chosen a course of action that’s totally dependent on prices behaving in a certain way but it’s nobody’s business to say whether it’s the right approach or not. You don’t need to justify yourself.

Just be aware that others, myself included, have chosen a different path that doesn’t expose them too much to market fluctuations and therefore they don’t need to watch the market as a hawk.

To each their own and I sincerely hope the best for you. In fact I’d be as happy as you if the market corrects further!:D

Harry30, 738, kierank and 3 others like this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I admire your confidence and hope that you are correct. Personally I’m wanting more International equities. Interesting times ahead.

A classic saying in investing is being in the position of least regret. If being in cash is that for you at this time then that’s all that matters:). I personally don’t sell my income streams but generally have plenty of cash available to enjoy the opportunities as they arise. I suppose that’s my position of least regret. It can go either way but I’ll be at peace regardless:cool:.

Danyool, truong, Zeehan and 1 other person like this.