Just suppose......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skater, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Starting war, being an aggressor, is weak ... it is the easy path to salve perceived slights, to bolster ego and to falsely appear "strong" to others who admire bullying aggression. It is a cover for insecure cowardice.

To not start a fight, to use compassion, compromise, diplomacy and understanding - from both sides - is true strength

Would you rather I ignored you because this holding up of the mirror makes you uncomfortable?

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2022
  2. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Did you know that every Australian citizen is "entitled" to a free Australian flag and a portrait of the Queen? All you have to do is write an email to your local MP and they will send it to you in the post! I have a flag flying permanently on my property which seems to wear out after about 6 months whereby I request a new one:D

I have the Queen on the back of the door in the outside water closet. Occasionally we have English friends come around and the wife is so embarrassed she will take it down and hide it:rolleyes:

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Explain what you mean by patriotism.

Is the unquestioning loyalty to fight and die for nothing more than a flag and a leader who tells you to do so? Is it an idea of what Australia "was" but, due to unity, acceptance and multiculturalism, no longer is? Is it pride in what Australia has become, can be and our place in the global community ... or is it lamenting what some Australians feel they have lost by embracing that we all live on this little rock floating thru space?

I think there is great pride in Australia, Australians and our "can do" tenacity, intellect, ability, empathy, social conscience and the idea of what makes a good Australian regardless of where you were born ... we do not need to wave flags and guns and pick on minorities to be "patriotic"

wylie likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I sometimes wonder what would happen if our young men (and women these days) were faced with Australia asking them to go to war.

Back in 1912 many young men rushed in with great bravado, some thinking it was some sort of adventure. Those not wanting to fight were ridiculed or worse.

When the Vietnam war was happening, it was different again, same, same but different. Protestors were arguing "peace, not war" and the draft meant some young men had no choice but to go.

I do wonder if the young people today would do that again or if they are too jaded and cynical (or understand how stupid war really is and that nothing changes). How many of us would try to ensure our sons and daughters were protected and didn't have to go to war and risk their lives?

War is stupid, always has been stupid and always will be stupid. Men (and yes... sometimes women) wanting land, money or power that gives them what? Or a nation of people insisting that another nation should believe in "their" god. Or live by their rules. Or hate some race of people. So stupid.

We will never learn. Live and let live.

gman65 and Lizzie like this.
  5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Well , there’s a long way from China to Australia and lots of places between us , starting with Taiwan and then all the countries around the South China Sea . Then Indonesia and Papua New Guinea .

Can’t see it happen in our life time but who knows what will happen in the long term .

cliff

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You can use a dictionary.

Many in society are actively eating away at the fabric and foundations and standards that served well, it happens in all societies over time as they become more detached from reality and have things good, it seems. Many do not even realise how directly they benefitted from each before them and the systems they often protest about, oh, the irony.

What an insult to those who fought and died or survived to re live the horror forever more so many people here have a better life, it beggars belief to be so disrespectful and dismissive.

I am not going to let you turn this into something else by engaging in the bait on other things.

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I wonder how some people are thinking now that they see how things are being done in EU and Russia.

Wonder if the idea of war is changing and evolving in the mind of some primates here.

We can see the use of AI in war.

We can see how Russia has blocked the sea port.

We know about cyber, but we also see what is happening in space with sats etc.

We can see what things can be done to inflict economic pain.

I wonder now how safe many feel with our great land and sea gap, lol.......wonder if anyone listened to both Putin and Xi in regard to ambition, ambition that is not idle talk.

I guess the base in Solomons is nothing to see either..

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...y/news-story/b452c179ce38d13c06129707f396c3da

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.