Just suppose......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skater, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

So latest is reports of phosphorous being used, just like in Syria, this guy does not care about the bleeding hearts, but he does seem to be backing himself into a corner, nukes ? still possible,

Xi is watching

There is also reports of shelling near Poland, it will escalate if mis calculating. I am not sure he cares.

We are very close to full scale global conflict, more so than last year.

We are past due & the economic issues have built tension too, will this end up being the catalyst ?

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't know, but it does scare me.

3. dabbler

4. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

5. dabbler

They were supposedly carrying nukes......that was discovered recently it seems, that is a pretty significant thing if true. You have to consider it may have only been a display, but if a jet was shot down....and will they do this again elsewhere ?

I would not assume any de escalation.

They have said they will use nuclear if russia is threatened, the definition of threatened is losing or not taking control, unless some agreement is reached that will include no nukes or NATO etc for Ukraine, and I cannot see Putin swallowing this, he has eyes on moving Westward IMO but has been thwarted for now.

To many people assume he will be rational it seems to me, at his age & how this is gone, he looks more like a cornered animal with little to lose.

The US made a mistake too going after Sadam etc, because Putin will be thinking, something may happen to him, and with gaffee prone Biden saying things like he cannot stay in power and telling troops they are going in, a paranoid person would think they may be up to something.

It is far from over it seems....

6. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

It'd blow up. Nothing more.
    Nuclear weapons needs to be activated. They will not blow just because you shot the plane down.

7. dabbler

Yes, and what do you think would happen then ??? Putin and Swedes all say,,,, no worries ?

8. dabbler

This is not over, it is probably just the start. putin wants the USSR back, he is from that era, it is his only chance, walking away means Russia may collapse.

This is very dangerous, and Xi is still watching closely, he wants the same, so even if Putin does somehow back down, Xi has his aspirations.

This really is crucial, and, once again in the West, we sleep walk.

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Wow...seriously??...Are you a card carrying member of the CCP? In all seriousness.... USA has been pretty responsible. What they are doing has China trembling based on the economics sanctions against Russia...China has their jugular exposed..they (USA and partners)are actually applying financial leverage in unison with a lot of free countries ...OZ included.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I reckon Putin thinks he’s got every right to attack his neighbours. He’s probably based his logic on how the USA attacked the Middle East and in particular Iraq to oust Saddam Hussein on the pretext of weapons of mass destruction.

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Apr, 2022
    paulF likes this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

One thing Putin forgot...he needs a experienced and motivated military with good generals...equipment which works..and like armed forces who think the US of A is doing the right thing and willing to die for their country.

If you look at the Russian and Chinese armed forces they are similar. It is all bravado. The Chinese know the game is up...based on how the Ukranians are giving the Ruskis a shalacking. The sanctions have pretty set back Russia 10 years...China is afraid the same could happen there. Money is leaving it such a rate and with COVID killing their economy it will get very interesting...

Very good assessment of Chinese capability and equally applies to the Ruskis

Lizzie and datto like this.
  12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

He does think he has every right to attack his neighbors but i don't believe he is basing that on your assumptions above.
    This is a really good video exploring his motives and how he sees Ukraine in general.

datto likes this.
  13. dabbler

He is a product of the former USSR, he lives that life, not quite a Stalin, but of the same cloth.

Once you understand that, you know why he has this deep seated desire to restore a former glory.

It would be like Charles becoming King and using the history from hos mother and wanting to re fire the UK empire & having the control to make it happen.

This is one of many humans main failings. I remember clearly one of my staff fighting with the staff members of another business, one greek one macedonian, both born in Australia, but a deep seated hate because the parents of both taught them to carry this hate on even in a new land.

We cannot stop this, it is like a religious idea.

Xi is the same.

And this is the problem with this type of regime vs the Western ways, where we are far from perfect, but are the best of what is on offer anywhere. Simply because it provides some security and some choice, and when our news and lives are filled with complaints about sexism and how unfair things are for group x, y or z, what is needed is a stint in a place like Ukraine now for these moaners, just to keep a perspective of just how good we all really have it and how we lose sight of what is truly valuable.

paulF and Lizzie like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Putin very much see's himself as a Napoleon/Tsar type figure - and that "bringing the USSR back together" as his legacy ... and bugger to what the people actually want.

I personally think the invasion will be his downfall and forever negatively overshadow his place in history - he was cruising along pretty comfortably, and could've gone out in style, before he decided to take this side alley way. Prior, life was pretty okay-ish-ski in Russia - standard of living was up, income was up, there was a semblance of capitalist westernisation (as long as one didn't want political freedom as well) ... now that's all gone to pot

gman65 and wylie like this.
  15. dabbler

Putin was brought up in a time when the glory of the USSR was his life, there is a very rich history, and it is right there to see still now, he probably feels a connection back to the time of ceaser and the Romans.

He was right there when it all collapsed, he was working to stop the collapse actively, so it is something deep seated in him personally.

They say we start in nappies and go back to them.

I agree, he had a chance to go out looking relatively good & or even reforming Russia into something much better, but, is trying to wind back the clock still to this day.

I too think it will be his undoing, but the worry is what will the history books say, because he may do something stupid, because he will be realising this too right about now most likely. Stupid to us, quite rational and reasonable for him & what he thinks should happen.

People here say he is not a madman, he will not harm his people, they say this as he sends many to be cannon fodder basically, he has no issue with them dying for his cause, nor anyone else is my assessment.

This is the big question, what will he do. He ain't gonna just walk away, not at this stage.

wylie, skater and Lizzie like this.
  16. dabbler

But this is interesting, and is my thinking too, we have become weak in the West, I think even here it is a disgrace how we try and shame our former military members, war and power struggles are never nice, never will be.

Giving this persons former position, I think it is worth listening too as we sit and watch from a safe distance.

I will post another link too, which will show in graphic detail, not so much the history, but why Putin probably has significant support, he is not alone in his USSR time capsule.

17. dabbler

PS spare the comments on Fox, and no I do not have Foxtel or however it is you get fox :)

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hmm. Interesting that you see a move from aggressive bullying, fighting and chest beating ... towards community, compassion and collaboration ... as weak.

I see it as strength

19. dabbler

Australia has nearly lost it's former patriotism.

We bicker today at the distant relatives of some and what they did, we bicker about various rights, we bicker about hurting feelings of others, really, we waste a lot of time on nothing worthwhile whining about.

I remember we used to have various things to inform young people of war etc, but it was teen years & it was not full on propaganda or just parents that were still full of hate and bad experiences.

This may explain some of the support for Putin.

It also will explain why many feel Ukraine is the aggressor.

I can understand the thinking from the viewpoint many in this doco are taking, but you will never change this deep seated type of brainwashing, and it is quite disturbing what they are saying to very young people, some who may already be in the firing line or even dead now, and there is a generation ready to take over.

Not unlike the brainwashing I have seen elsewhere in some other countries, that would just as happily send off legions of young to slaughter and be slaughtered, and they know no better.

It is quite sad what is done to these young people, it is sad to think how many like them are dying, for no good reason, but, there is no option, and it will feed more of the same. It may well be overstated, but it is interesting to see how people can be acting today as if 1941 was just say 5 years ago.

20. dabbler

I really do not want to argue with you, feel free to ignore me. I would rather you did.

You cannot be weak in war, it is as simple as that, what are we playing at is my point and I think his.

It is a very compelling point IMO.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia