Just suppose......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skater, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

He is most definitely learning as much as possible on how to evade the sanctions on one hand but on another, I'm pretty sure he is shocked as much as VVP about the Wests(the whole world actually) response so far. I don't think anyone expected sanctions even from private companies world wide.

Regardless of their military campaign , Russia has been shutdown from pretty much the whole world so far and China would suffer the same if not worse if they make a move on Taiwan i would think.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

China seems under pressure economically for a while.

I think the expansionist outlook is not just a national pride thing, but one where they need more control and resources etc to keep the fire going at home.

They will not stop with Taiwan, they want to control the seas to the North, once they have that, they can do even more.

We simply cannot let them realise the expansionist dreams, as I see it.

I agree the reaction is one that prob not many would have thought would come, those in the EU can remember well what happened not that long ago in the scheme of things.

3. dabbler

4. dabbler

Macron is reported to have spoken to Putin, and has said he will take whole country.

At this point, seems Putin will push on and worst is yet to come, this could def escalate a lot.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing you mean that Putin has said he will take over the country, not Macron ;-)

dabbler likes this.
  6. dabbler

Yes, they spoke to Macron & reported what he has said was relayed by Putin, hopefully not just something he read on his Puter :)

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The Russian leader also said that if Kyiv wanted to talk, it must act now - and if Ukrainians don't accept these conditions, he will obtain the same result by the military path, the source said. Mr Putin denied having bombarded Kyiv and warned that the situation would worsen, but that it was the fault of Ukraine, the source said.

France warns 'worst yet to come' in Ukraine conflict

8. dabbler

Just saw something about nuclear reactor been attacked and there is a fire.

This is similar thing to using a nuke bomb if it gets out of control.

And to think last week so many poo pooed that things would escalate. And we will all be safe down here, nothing to see....

9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Just bend the knees and be done with it.
    USA ask plenty of country to bend the knees.

FFS just get it over with it. It is the civilian that is dying left right and centre.
    Collateral damage is invented by the USA secret service... It is acceptable by their standard and it is adopted.

10. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I dunno.
    Nuke by nature is dirty. It's not going to be contained by boarders.
    And it's kind like "No you DIDN'T" where it's crossing the line in such a way you HAVE to respond. You cannot do the talk anymore.

Europe and everyone knows that.
    Putin too. He might have death wish, but I hope he has still enough healthy brain cells to think about his own family and the fact he is signing their death warrant.
    Or at least someone close enough to him that don't have brain tumor and have plans to retire and enjoy their Italian villa.

11. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

And if we know one thing is that Xi loves his money. I dare to say more than he loves land.

12. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe Macron finished the call with Putin and he's straight on snapchat telling all his friends: "OMG! This is what Putin said! I'm not ******** you!"

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Mar, 2022
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - bombed by the Russian military and now firing on the firefighters. If it goes, 10x bigger than Chernobyl ... hope Putin is f***** happy now

Ukrainian nuclear plant, Europe's largest, ablaze after Russian attack - minister

14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Pretty naive of the West to think Putin wasn't in this game to win.....and it seems.....at any cost, with his forces having bombed a large nuclear reactor and backing it up with ongoing fire-power.
    Not going to get any better anytime soon.:(

15. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute.
    Where are the photos and videos of the damage shelling of the nuclear power plant?
    Or is the nuclear plant being missed manage due to electricity power load is totally irregular output. Not enough employees to keep the power plant functioning?
    Due to on going military fighting within city?

16. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Im not sure why nuclear power plants were not shut down progressively as situation escalates. Seems to me like a prudent thing to do. Risk mitigation.

Fingers crossed thats actually the case (them being switched off). Dont want to start reading about nuclear pollution now. Situation as is pretty bad already.

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2022
    skater likes this.
  17. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Nuclear cores can be shut down pretty quickly, if done correctly.
    The fuel itself is not explosive.
    It requires to basically blow the fuel directly with explosive to even get anything moving.

Nuclear power plants today are very safe.

Gen-Y, Piston_Broke and Lizzie like this.
  18. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

This is from another forum - i don't know the full true details and i am pretty sure a lot of general media also has no idea.

Post below from other forum,

Red lines are the where the Russions are shooting from, blue is Ukraines firing lines, second pic is where the cam is. The red round circles are the reactors ... you do the math.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Ok just found this on Youtube, which matches up with above comments Camera at burning Ukrainian nuclear power plant appears to show Russian attack - YouTube

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2022
  19. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I would bet it is a Soviet era plant. Akin to Chernobyl. Something build at early stages of nuclear energy revolution with outdated technology. Ukraine unlikely to have the means to build plants like that on its own.

These take forever to switch off.

Nothing modern safe or fancy. Hence the reason why it would be prudent to shut it down early. Rather than wait till the final moment.

Agree that modern technology is safer and fairly clean.

20. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert of nuclear reactors, but even older reactors are fairly simple to shutdown.
    The reason Chernobyl blew up was a very specific fault (which since been fixed - the tip of the control rods, that are designed to dumper the reaction were made of material that actually did the opposite) and a core that was compromise due to mistake of the lead engineer and his unwillingness to listen to his people warning the core is getting quite ****** off.

I'm not saying it's not bad that the Reassigns are doing what they are doing, but I still think it's a long way until we see (and fell) Chernobyl 2.0.
    I guess the strategic idea behind it is to take control over Ukraine power supply, rather then create a nuclear disaster.
    If he wanted to nuclear - he has enough pointy stuff that is designed to explode (power plant cores are designed to NOT explode)

Noobieboy likes this.