Just suppose......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skater, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

So, thinking of the current state of affairs in the world with Russia invading Ukraine, and China watching, lets just suppose for a minute that this escalates into WW3.

None of us want this to happen, and we are merely puppets for the puppet masters, and don't get to have our say. There's fake news everywhere, and I can only imagine that this would escalate. What would you do with your assets?

Would you sell down, and keep cash/gold hidden away? Would you leverage up, and buy what you can? Would you just wait & see what transpires and just hope for the best? As this is something none of us have been exposed to, well some may have come from war torn areas, but not to the extent of a World War, what do you think will happen?

Do you see China invading and imposing their rules on us? Or do you see Australia as an outlier, away from the main action? While I'd like to think this is true, I'm not so sure, as we have many resources that China want.

Do you see this mainly playing out with cyber infiltrations and sanctions, or getting the nukes out, or somewhere in between?

GreenTreeFrog likes this.
  2. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I keep saying it.... we're due for a 1970s rerun.
    Local wars, civil unrest, terrorism, rising inflation, rising rates and a decade of "real" asset prices falling. Just gotta look at random newspaper headline of that era.
    Those with income will be fine, those without will fall behind.
    A big exchange of wealth will likely happen and it will likely be in the opposite direction of the last 30 yrs.

The US has many assets here that are valuable enough to protect and defend. Fortunately they're in the desert.

3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I doubt China would do that to Australia. It is still cheaper to pay for the resources than triggering US to have a go at them. I think if anything to learn from WW2, Australia would be a safe haven. Unless we actively go into war. China's first task is to have Taiwan back. Then they will play the chess game and make sure US will have a hard time.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The initial attacks would be cyber - wouldn't take much to blow our communications, electrical and data systems ...

... p.s. I have extensive reservist training from my youth. Would have no fear of going bush and picking up whatever armaments at hand.

Observer, Cousinit, PeterCr and 2 others like this.
  5. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

I agree. Probably more migration to Australia if possible. We are isolated and less impact of these conflicts.

6. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree with that. I think China would happily invade Australia, if they thought they could get away with it.
    I don't think the US would allow it, because we are too good of a foothold for them in this region. But that doesn't mean war couldn't or wouldn't come to our doorstep. If anything I think it increases the chances that it actually will, if WW3 were to break out.

skater likes this.
  7. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Luckily Australia is a really difficult place to invade. Imagine trying to amass troops at our borders!! And then when you step foot on Aussie soil, what then? Forced march from Darwin to Brisbane?

Say you occupy, how do you stop @Lizzie and mates from counter insurgency?

Finally, what strategic benefit have you got? Winner would be NATO and US if China dedicated all her resources to invade Aussies, cos they would be weakened for EVER on the back of such a remote possibility.

freyja, Observer, PeterCr and 3 others like this.
  8. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

WW3 ; you better hope like hell “our” side wins. If not, you can forget about your investments. Best case scenario you get reasonable terms and Marshall plan…doubtful.

I’m always amazed by some of the commenters on here taking positions against their own interest. The post WW2 order has hugely served Australias interests.

Cousinit, skater, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

At least Chinese cuisine is delicious :D

inertia, Coffee and boganfromlogan like this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The only problem I see with China invading Oz is logistics. How does China amass its troops to invade us? Ships can be blown out of the water.

However, China could amass troops in PNG or some Pacific islands I suppose. From there they could bombard us and cripple our military. China could simply tell the USA to butt out or cop a war.

I think the only thing to do would be to sell up and move to the USA as a refugee

Sackie and boganfromlogan like this.
  11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It's just too scary to fathom in a nuclear age. A week ago, this thread would have been crazy talk.

We may be forced into a Cobra Kai "Strike first. Strike hard. No Mercy" strategy for the sake of our survival.

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2022
    Firefly99 likes this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I am going into the Eastern suburbs to unseat @Sackie and make sure he does not take all the delicious food they will bring :)

EN710 and Sackie like this.
  13. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, I don't mind me a good old war now and again :p

But seriously, I wouldn't stress about it. Seen it many times before. As a few on here would say - just drink your coffee, buy the dips, stick to VAS and VGS and carry on. Ignore the noise and avoid tinkering with your portfolio. KISS

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If they invade, you guys will be needing me to translate! :p

EN710, Observer and Lizzie like this.
  15. dabbler

It wont be an issue for them, they already know our norther port well.

And you cannot sink ships or down planes if your out of ammo and missiles and not making stacks of your own.

They are the version of the US of WW2, they have people they sacrifice and can produce a lot if they seize material. They are not moving south and doing what they have been doing in the seas up there for fun.

Watch them prod more at Taiwan and Japan now.

We lose if it goes hot up north, they simply have more numbers and it would start where they can deal with the US with many land based assets.

skater, gman65, datto and 1 other person like this.
  16. dabbler

Nup, I have me a made in China translator and a picture of Xi on back and front already !

datto likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

18. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

There will never be an invasion. Worst case end game is we will be a tributary state directly controlled by China. Before that, lots of flexing including nuclear coercion, 5th column activity, cyber warfare including ongoing social engineering and influence operations to support passivity and regime change.

skater, datto and Sackie like this.
  19. dabbler

PS it also doubles as a property val calculator, a money calculator and has a direct link to the chinese stock market...he he

datto likes this.
  20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The West/we contributed to the rise of China. In hindsight, should've left them in the Stone Age.

skater and jaybean like this.