Just opened the land valuation notices... huge jump in valuations.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by wylie, 4th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Found it.

2. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

RM1827 likes this.
  3. Amberlee

Amberlee Active Member

My IP in Aspley only went up by 5.7%

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

1: 370 --> 490 = 32%
    2: 295 --> 355 = 20.3%
    3: 375 --> 430 = 14.6%
    4: 222 --> 242 = 9%

Yowser... I remember a similar jump last year.

6. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Only 11% this year after 37% last year

7. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

For those with larger portfolios, this is why its important to have 1 property per trust instead of trying to cram 2 or more into a $350k threshold based on current values.

A slight hike in land values like this will pretty much render your trust useless and you will be paying for land tax + the cost of maintaining that trust!

Hanison and Sackie like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For those who want to check online -

BIG-IP logout page

Edit: Just got home, added this link and realised it is already posted.

Mooze likes this.
  9. Santaslayer

Santaslayer Well-Known Member

Mooze likes this.
  10. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yes, property values are always greater than land vals. I said there was no point me appealing my 60% land val increase because the property value has probably increased by more than 60% in the recent crazy inner west (Sydney) price run.

11. wylie

I think we are talking different things here though. We had dinner with a developer friend last night. He said in the street (Greenslopes) that he is developing right now, the land valuations for the various developments being built have jumped substantially. He had already lodged an appeal last night. The houses right next door to his development rose, but not substantially. Someone has specifically targeted that street and the development sites copped a huge whack whilst right next door, a small increase.

So, I guess you need to look at similar properties and see if your 60% increase is "normal" for similar properties (without even considering what is "on" the property). It is AFAIK the unimproved land they are looking at. They aren't (or used not to be) interested in what is on that land. That came straight from a valuer's mouth years ago when they knocked on my door and wanted to see what my view was like.

So, why does the block being developed cop a huge increase when the one next door (not yet developed) get next to no increase? That doesn't make sense.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

"So, why does the block being developed cop a huge increase when the one next door (not yet developed) get next to no increase? That doesn't make sense."

More price gouging

13. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yes, I know what the land val is - or UCV. It is the Unimproved Capital Value of the land i.e. the value of the land irrespective of what is on it.
    My point was that there is probably no point me disputing the 60% increase in the UCV for my place given the market value of the property i.e. what I could flog the place for, has probably increased by more than 60%. If the UCV had jumped a lot and the market value of the property had not budged, I might have a case for saying the UCV was out of whack.
    I suspect all properties in this part of Sydney have seen a similar crazy increase in the UCV (and corresponding increases in market value).

Sackie likes this.
  14. wylie

Exactly!

15. wylie

I get all that. But I would point out that when our PPOR was revalued (when the valuer came into our back yard to see our view), our whole street rose substantially. We were the highest on the hill, and as the hill dropped, the values were less.

At the same time (must have been 20 years ago), our house was worth about $250K and there was an outcry about the valuations. A moratorium was called and I know for a fact that at East Brisbane there was a 1900 built house, ballroom, tennis court, more than triple the size of our block that had just sold for $800K and its UCV was $75K. Ours had gone to something like $200K.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no consistency in valuations between areas, and they were (and I believe still are) cherry picking those who they believe can afford it, and those that have potential for development, but even that doesn't explain why a house just sold in an exclusive pocket of an expensive suburb had just sold for $800K and had a UCV value of $75K whilst our small block had such a high valuation.

There was a court case at the time run by someone we had met and I believe they won that case and their values (near the river, expensive street, beautiful area) were adjusted down.

It is a double edged sword. We will pay a whack more land tax and the rates are going to rise substantially over the next three years and I believe we already pay more than our fair share of taxes.

16. wylie

I've just looked up both those properties I mentioned earlier.

The big house built in 1900 with ballroom, tennis court etc sits on 1852sqm and was last sold in 1996 for $750K. Its UCV now is $2.7M.

The house we lived in build in 1932 on 658sqm was last sold in 1996 for $302K. Land value is now $1M.

Clearly, that moratorium ran its course and the UCV are likely to be fair now for the properties of each house, but 20 years ago, they were not... and that is what I find wrong with this whole process.

17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

The problem now is if the thresholds aren't increased a single house purchase in BCC will put you on and most likely over the trust threshold. Add on compliance costs an its going to start to affect cash flow.
    Different story I suppose if your buying cheapies in Logan, Ipswich or MBC.

18. wylie

One of ours has just pushed me over the threshold... just one house. If it was in a trust, I would be well over the threshold. I did look at buying this one in a trust but was told by my broker that (in my particular circumstances with limited lenders willing to look at me) I would have had trouble getting a loan in anything more complicated than my name. He might have been wrong, but I had no time to waste as I needed this funded quickly in order to allow our son to settle.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The threshold is 600k each individual as I understand it, so if your using trusts it would normally mean you already probably hold other property & the tax is designed to stop people holding too much property unless you pay up ?

20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, you cannot win either way.